The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2011, 01:08 AM   #31
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
A lot of people hate Rolex as well...
Often when one shows interest about watches, people would shoot down Rolex pretty quickly. They will only talk about Blancpain, IWC or whatever.
Old 10 January 2011, 03:37 AM   #32
Speed
"TRF" Member

I admit I did not care for them straightaway as I did for a Rolex Submariner...but, I came 'round. I own one / like them quite a bit now.

The shape / style and size took some getting used to for me...But now, well, I like them. However, I still stand by my comment that some folks love to hate things.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 03:46 AM   #33

the first time i was introduced to panerai was when i was shopping for a rolex a few years back. i thought pam's were hideous. about a year ago, i was browsing tourneau and took a second look at panerai, and something struck me. within a week i flipped my rolex for a pam, and i have just recently purchased my second pam. Panerai is definitely a polarizing brand, and if somebody doesnt like the way they look i do understand. But its silly for people to hate the brand because they use eta movements.
632627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 07:39 AM   #34
CORPORATE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632627 View Post
the first time i was introduced to panerai was when i was shopping for a rolex a few years back. i thought pam's were hideous. about a year ago, i was browsing tourneau and took a second look at panerai, and something struck me. within a week i flipped my rolex for a pam, and i have just recently purchased my second pam. Panerai is definitely a polarizing brand, and if somebody doesnt like the way they look i do understand. But its silly for people to hate the brand because they use eta movements.
What's wrong with the ETA movement ???
CORPORATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 01:50 PM   #35
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORPORATE View Post
What's wrong with the ETA movement ???
Nothing is wrong with the ETA movement. It's a tried and tested movement that is in a lot of big name watch brands...the problem that people have with them is that an ETA movement can be had for less than $200.....but yet the watch will cost somewhere north of $4k retail...

A lot of people miss the days of Panerai's costing less than $3k retail.....
tech_controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 02:05 PM   #36
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
It's usually the one's that can't afford it, that do all the hating. I say...let them.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 03:37 PM   #37
Voss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_controller View Post
Nothing is wrong with the ETA movement. It's a tried and tested movement that is in a lot of big name watch brands...the problem that people have with them is that an ETA movement can be had for less than $200.....but yet the watch will cost somewhere north of $4k retail...

A lot of people miss the days of Panerai's costing less than $3k retail.....
I understand what your saying but, these watch companies that use ETA movements decorate them and modify them so its not just ETA bought and put in the case, some work involved i would think. From what i've heard Panerai's have done a fine job of modifying there ETA movements.

Oh i wish Panerai's cost less than 3k so i can get 5 more lol
Voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 12:18 AM   #38
akira23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 1313
You can't please everybody! It all comes down to taste and I love my Pam's. That's all that matters.
akira23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 12:55 AM   #39
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Because they are bloody ugly!
i wouldn't call them bloody ugly, but i'd never buy one myself...
Old 11 January 2011, 10:29 AM   #40
mgpdragon64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk!
For a lack of a better word... "Hate" might be a strong word maybe not just a fan at the moment . I consider my self a true rolex fan before until a paneristi friend started to introduce me to the Panerai world. I did not like it at first until I tried it and got my 111 and it is just so damn looking good and probably will keep this forever

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...elivery005.jpg
mgpdragon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 01:59 PM   #41
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The movements of the 111 and 231 look beautiful through the crystal back ...........Pity some brands,hide all their movements !!
"In-house" ?? Locked behind steel ??
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 02:16 PM   #42
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I like Panerai watches, but I can't get past the fact that the prices are so high.

For the base models with outsourced movements, seems hard to justify. Brand heritage is also questionable in my mind. Great marketing though.

Same as Hublot, $10,000 entry price for a marketing strategy and a $150 USD movement, love the watches though!!

I want one of each, I wish I knew nothing about brands and movements!! But I do, and I can't justify buying one of neither brand.

No doubt, ignorance is bliss. In the end, everybody buys what they want and can rationalize.
Old 13 January 2011, 12:31 PM   #43
whatimeisit
"TRF" Member

for me ......i'm buying my watches becoz i like it and i want it....not becoz other people will like it
whatimeisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 02:18 PM   #44
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
pams are big in asia.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 02:38 PM   #45
snog
"TRF" Member

if an ETA movement can cost only a few hundred $$$ then I can't see why Rolex,PP or any other in-house movement would cost much more to make,if they do cost more it's down to the fact of labour or smaller scale and not more expensive materials,I can justify a few K on a watch knowing that the basic cost of materials is only a few $$$ but would find it very hard to justify a watch costing in the tens of thousands,which really would have comparatively the same built cost,a good example would be Nike trainers,would they be worth more if it didn't cost only a few dollars to make...no only they would cost more to buy.
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 04:20 PM   #46
psv
"TRF" Member

OK, here is a theory: I think some people disliking Panerai actually more dislike the cult and/or some of the people actually wearing Panerais.

I really appreciate some of the history behind Panerai and the re-launch of the brand in the 90-ies wasn't nothing short of genius, but at the same time I can see why some people find the watch/the owners a bit pretentious. Let's face it, even if the design is simplistic and functional (at the core) the watch has a lot of presence and is very much in-your-face. Owners are many times quite fashion conscious and trendy. Whatever it might be, it is a watch that is hard to ignore, therefor people will have opinions about them.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 04:45 PM   #47
snog
"TRF" Member

I think you should take a look around you if you think Pam owners are pretentious,my Pam doesn't come close to the size and bling factor of some out there,if you go back just a few years people would have thought you were talking about Rolex,go into any bar and I bet a Pam would hardly be noticed,you'll see a ton of "in your face" watches,I don't want this to turn into a slagging match but tbh if I was to use a watch as a diving tool I know which I would choose between a Pam and a Rolex,Pams are big for a reason,if they started to stick diamonds on the bezels then maybe they would be up there with the bling watches.
Old 14 January 2011, 04:58 PM   #48
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
OK, here is a theory: I think some people disliking Panerai actually more dislike the cult and/or some of the people actually wearing Panerais.

I really appreciate some of the history behind Panerai and the re-launch of the brand in the 90-ies wasn't nothing short of genius, but at the same time I can see why some people find the watch/the owners a bit pretentious. Let's face it, even if the design is simplistic and functional (at the core) the watch has a lot of presence and is very much in-your-face. Owners are many times quite fashion conscious and trendy. Whatever it might be, it is a watch that is hard to ignore, therefor people will have opinions about them.
A really well thought out post....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 05:21 PM   #49
psv
"TRF" Member

Just trying to give some input to the OP. No point of getting defensive. I didn't imply that all, or even a majority of, owners are pretentious, but some will of course come off as such. Just as some owners of Rolex, AP, Cartier and many other watches come of as pretenious. When certain brands become status symbols, some people will simply dislike brand and people who own the watch. The same holds true for many other items, like people have opinions of people driving high-end cars etc.

I own Panerai, Rolex and other watches. I wear them for my enjoyment, but I acknowledge some people may have opinions about them, e.g. I wouldn't wear a big Panerai watch to a job interview.
Old 14 January 2011, 05:29 PM   #50
snog
"TRF" Member

if you are saying that some will find most expensive watches pretentious then maybe you should have been clearer, as what you did say does not match what you have just posted.

I think you'll find that on a Pam board we will defend our choice
Old 14 January 2011, 05:57 PM   #51
psv
"TRF" Member

Dude, relax, I'm on a business trip, jet-lagged, late at night at the hotel... don't kill the messenger! :-)

The question wasn't about defending your choice, but why some people dislike Panerai. I offered up one explanation (even if articulated in a sloppy manner) based on opinions I've heard from people I know/met. I don't say I agree with them, but some people will have that perception about Panerais. Who cares? You can't care about what everybody thinks, but it helps being aware of it.
Old 14 January 2011, 05:59 PM   #52
Andad

Quote:
Just trying to give some input to the OP. No point of getting defensive. I didn't imply that all, or even a majority of, owners are pretentious, but some will of course come off as such. Just as some owners of Rolex, AP, Cartier and many other watches come of as pretenious. When certain brands become status symbols, some people will simply dislike brand and people who own the watch. The same holds true for many other items, like people have opinions of people driving high-end cars etc.

I own Panerai, Rolex and other watches. I wear them for my enjoyment, but I acknowledge some people may have opinions about them, e.g. I wouldn't wear a big Panerai watch to a job interview.
A really well thought out post....

Old 14 January 2011, 06:00 PM   #53
Andad

Quote:
Dude, relax, I'm on a business trip, jet-lagged, late at night at the hotel... don't kill the messenger! :-)

The question wasn't about defending your choice, but why some people dislike Panerai. I offered up one explanation (even if articulated in a sloppy manner) based on opinions I've heard from people I know/met. I don't say I agree with them, but some people will have that perception about Panerais. Who cares? You can't care about what everybody thinks, but it helps being aware of it.
Just getting better and better.....

Old 14 January 2011, 06:05 PM   #54
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
......I really like the 233, 292, 270.....those are basically the only models from panerai that I like.....but for that money, I think rolex is better value....or if I wanted to stretch the budget a bit more...I'd get an AP.....can't really compare...for me panerai falls in a grey area....when it comes to that value that I as an individual am able to derive out of the watch.....either they all look the same ( i know that they don't but they kinda do) or they are a bit over priced....and I lose that value I see in them.....however, I do have a lot of respect for the brand..and do understand why people like it....its just not my thing.
Old 14 January 2011, 06:21 PM   #55
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Just getting better and better.....
Glad to see that you are adding value.
Old 14 January 2011, 07:30 PM   #56
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
They probably are good watches,but i do not like the design of them personally.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 07:52 PM   #57
Trev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 2599.80
Far too big for me. It would look like I was wearing a wrist-clock. Love the minimal designs, especially when they have SS bracelets.
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 01:06 PM   #58
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Don't really hear too much negative comments about Pam in real life. As matter of fact outnof my friends, it's about 50/50 between rolex and Pam.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 06:49 AM   #59
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
FACT:
Some people Love to Hate.

Whoomp...there it is.

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote