The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2018, 08:12 PM   #61
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Huge !!

BREAKING: Spanish national team head coach Julen Lopetegui has been sacked just 24 hours before the start of the World Cup in Russia, this comes after he was appointed to be the new Real Madrid head coach after the World Cup.
Old 13 June 2018, 08:15 PM   #62
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well I'm a Man Utd fan and Ronaldo had many of his best years with us and won us a few Premier Leagues almost by himself so we love him, but still he's not in Messi's league, only Maradona and Zidane are for me, best three players I've ever seen, but those two produced in WCs so they do have the edge over him... for now.
I'm not a fan of the same team but can't fault anything said above.

Perhaps, rather than using the name, an indication could have been "the team from the wrong side of the Pennines that wear red and are located inland." It would have been more eye friendly to those of us that support Super Leeds.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:06 PM   #63
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Quote:
Well I'm a Man Utd fan and Ronaldo had many of his best years with us and won us a few Premier Leagues almost by himself so we love him, but still he's not in Messi's league, only Maradona and Zidane are for me, best three players I've ever seen, but those two produced in WCs so they do have the edge over him... for now.
You put Maradona and Zidane on Messi’s level I get, but they are all a tier lower then Pele
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:12 PM   #64
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

North America to host 2026 World Cup after winning vote over Morocco
Wow. Going to be fantastic parties all over
Old 13 June 2018, 09:20 PM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I'm not a fan of the same team but can't fault anything said above.

Perhaps, rather than using the name, an indication could have been "the team from the wrong side of the Pennines that wear red and are located inland." It would have been more eye friendly to those of us that support Super Leeds.
Haha, I really enjoyed our rivalry at the start of the premiership and we'll always be grateful for you guys gifting us Cantona, saw him playing in the Soccer Aid game on Saturday and have to say it almost brought a tear to my eye. I'm not one to worship or mythologise players... but he is my one exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
You put Maradona and Zidane on Messi’s level I get, but they are all a tier lower then Pele
I've seen lots of videos of him and I don't actually think the player himself was as gifted. I think rather the idea of Pele is more powerful, as a skilful no 10 playmaker at the heart of the best and most beautiful team of all time in 1970, and as a child genius in 58. It's romantic and cinematic and he's a gentleman and Brazilian which adds some nice Samba spice, whilst Maradona and Zidane don't have all this and were certainly no angels, but for me actually better footballers.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:21 PM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
North America to host 2026 World Cup after winning vote over Morocco
Wow. Going to be fantastic parties all over
Well done to our American Cousins! Just let's not have Diana Ross trying to kick a penalty this time... but if it's going to be a Kardashian then bring her back!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:32 PM   #67
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Quote:
Haha, I really enjoyed our rivalry at the start of the premiership and we'll always be grateful for you guys gifting us Cantona, saw him playing in the Soccer Aid game on Saturday and have to say it almost brought a tear to my eye. I'm not one to worship or mythologise players... but he is my one exception.

I've seen lots of videos of him and I don't actually think the player himself was as gifted. I think rather the idea of Pele is more powerful, as a skilful no 10 playmaker at the heart of the best and most beautiful team of all time in 1970, and as a child genius in 58. It's romantic and cinematic and he's a gentleman and Brazilian which adds some nice Samba spice, whilst Maradona and Zidane don't have all this and were certainly no angels, but for me actually better footballers.
I don’t want to hijack the thread but I disagree. I don’t think Zidane is on the level of any of the others mentioned. I would put Ronaldo above him. Anyways this is all about the WC so go USA....Oh wait we aren’t in it. Go England
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 10:39 PM   #68
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
always be grateful for you guys gifting us Cantona,
You do know the cruelest of things to say to a Leeds fan.

Having said that, he was a fabulous player when he was at Leeds, but, I have to say, he went up so many levels when he went to you. I loved watching him, no matter where he was.

DAVE

Old 13 June 2018, 11:27 PM   #69
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
BREAKING: Spanish national team head coach Julen Lopetegui has been sacked just 24 hours before the start of the World Cup in Russia, this comes after he was appointed to be the new Real Madrid head coach after the World Cup.
Gotta love business mixing with latin blood
Old 13 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #70
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
I don’t want to hijack the thread but I disagree. I don’t think Zidane is on the level of any of the others mentioned. I would put Ronaldo above him. Anyways this is all about the WC so go USA....Oh wait we aren’t in it. Go England
The problem with rating Pele is that none of us have really seen anything of his play beyond a few seconds of old video footage. The problem with judging him on his record is he scored a large number of his goals in low quality league football.

To use an Americanism I’m going to throw a curveball. Scratch that, I’ll use an English equivalent - I’m going to bowl you a Googly.

The best player I’ve seen with my own eyes is Ronaldo. Not the Portuguese poser Cristiano (and don’t get me wrong, he’s an all time great) but Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima - Brazilian Ronaldo. He was at his peak in the years prior to the ‘98 World Cup and he had absolutely everything in his armoury - he was quick, powerful, could dribble through teams, was great on the ball and had laser accuracy in front of goal. His overall record is great despite his many injuries but they robbed him of the best years of his career. Had he gone injury free throughout his time I think he’d be regarded as the undisputed best of all time. That is of course, speculation, but he was a sensational player at his best. C. Ronaldo and Messi have consistency and longevity over him, but not talent IMO.

Oh and Maradona >>>>>>> Pele ;)
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:47 PM   #71
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The problem with rating Pele is that none of us have really seen anything of his play beyond a few seconds of old video footage. The problem with judging him on his record is he scored a large number of his goals in low quality league football.

To use an Americanism I’m going to throw a curveball. Scratch that, I’ll doing an English equivalent - I’m going to bowl you a Googly.

The best player I’ve seen with my own eyes is Ronaldo. Not the Portuguese poser Cristiano (and don’t get me wrong, he’s an all time great) but Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima - Brazilian Ronaldo. He was at his peak in the years prior to the ‘98 World Cup and he had absolutely everything in his armoury - he was quick, powerful, could dribble through teams, was great on the ball and had laser accuracy in front of goal. His overall record is great despite his many injuries but they robbed him of the best years of his career. Had he gone injury free throughout his time I think he’d be regarded as the undisputed best of all time. That is of course, speculation, but he was a sensational player at his best. C. Ronaldo and Messi have consistency and longevity over him, but not talent IMO.

someone please tell me what 'bowling a googly' is
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #72
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
someone please tell me what 'bowling a googly' is
Mate I would but then I’d have to explain cricket to you
Old 13 June 2018, 11:54 PM   #73
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have to say, I've never watched nor attempted to understand cricket. I have a good Indian friend who's obsessed and he's been on me about at least getting the basics down. Perhaps I'll take him up.
Old 14 June 2018, 12:05 AM   #74
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Quote:
Have to say, I've never watched nor attempted to understand cricket. I have a good Indian friend who's obsessed and he's been on me about at least getting the basics down. Perhaps I'll take him up.
Cricket is the last curse of the Empire upon her colonies. It’s as exciting as watching paint dry.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #75
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Cricket is the last curse of the Empire upon her colonies. It’s as exciting as watching paint dry.
Sacrilege!
Old 14 June 2018, 12:25 AM   #76
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sacrilege!
As a Yorkshireman, I agree fully. Off with his head.

DAVE

Old 14 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #77
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Yes, understatement. Us Italians are walking around with our heads down during a time when most of the world is setting up for this. It sucks. I will be watching with some interest regardless, but not with so much passion. I am trying to figure out who I should cheer for. Good luck everyone.
I’m very very sad Italy is out...
Now I’ll have to root for the Germans...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 01:04 AM   #78
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Ok , how do you think this will affect the team overall in the
tournament now Mark ? Positive or negative, I read the players
pulled for him to stay through the World Cup!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 01:12 AM   #79
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Rules:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game
Old 14 June 2018, 01:23 AM   #80
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rules:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game
Poetry.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:30 AM   #81
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rules:

It all makes sense now! Perfect clarity!

Old 14 June 2018, 01:40 AM   #82
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It all makes sense now! Perfect clarity!

At the risk of injecting some seriousness into this, watch a T20 match. It is far, far, far shorter, more digestible and less nuanced than 5-day Test match cricket which Abdullah so eloquently describes. Even most Englishmen nowadays are baffled by Test cricket. A T20 match only lasts about 3 hours total so even if you hate it, it won’t last long enough for you to start hating yourself for watching it.

England play a couple of matches vs India and one vs Australia in the next month or so. One of those would be worth a gander.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #83
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
At the risk of injecting some seriousness into this, watch a T20 match. It is far, far, far shorter, more digestible and less nuanced than 5-day Test match cricket which Abdullah so eloquently describes. Even most Englishmen nowadays are baffled by Test cricket. A T20 match only lasts about 3 hours total so even if you hate it, it won’t last long enough for you to start hating yourself for watching it.

England play a couple of matches vs India and one vs Australia in the next month or so. One of those would be worth a gander.
NO! Bad advice. You need to watch the test match. Nothing seizes your senses like a 759 to 477 victory. Keep your shrink on speed dial.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:55 AM   #84
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Nothing beats a test match. That is my opinion, I was brought up on the game, those that don't know would find it boring, I accept that. There are many sports I find boring because I don't know the rules.

DAVE

Old 14 June 2018, 01:58 AM   #85
Star Ferry
Banned

any dark horse teams to look out for? Trying to find someone to root for in the absence of the U.S.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #86
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Nothing beats a test match. That is my opinion, I was brought up on the game, those that don't know would find it boring, I accept that. There are many sports I find boring because I don't know the rules.
I heartily agree you. I actually don’t really like T20 and I have watched England Test matches every Summer for 25 years and go to matches when I can. But most rational people think Test match cricket is insane. 5 days long and a result isn’t guaranteed?! A whole match can be rained off?! The players stop for tea?! Try selling that to an American.

T20 is the gateway ganja to the psychosis-inducing crack that is Test cricket. Actually that is a terrible metaphor, but you get the idea.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:03 AM   #87
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
any dark horse teams to look out for? Trying to find someone to root for in the absence of the U.S.
Outside of the top 4, I'd say Portugal, England and Belgium look good......Argentina if Messi is on fire.

Farther back, Poland and Colombia. This is more along the lines of the 'dark horse' I think you're asking about. and they're actually in the same group is what makes it crazier

Anybody farther back doesn't really have a chance of making a dent IMO. I'd usually say to never turn your back on Sweden, but with God Zlatan gone, no more.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:04 AM   #88
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
England!

If you can’t bring yourself to support the Motherland, Belgium have great players, most of whom are not actively dislikeable.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:06 AM   #89
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
England!

If you can’t bring yourself to support the Motherland, Belgium have great players, most of whom are not actively dislikeable.
I did one of those at-home DNA tests and was told that I'm about 50% English, so this could be a good way to root for my own heritage
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:12 AM   #90
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
England!

I could care less about likeable. Ibrahimovic was awesome. It's hard to ever know if he's genuinely that pompous or just the funniest player of all time.

Did you hear about the article he took out, in the LA times, when he signed with the Galaxy? He took out an entire page....to simply state "Dear Los Angeles, You're welcome." or the own Galaxy endorsed video, where he was walking with a Lion, and he says 'Welcome TO Zlatan'.