The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 January 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
omrip7
"TRF" Member

Rolex Datajust 2016 automatic strange behavior

Hi All,

I am pretty new to the Rolex world and purchased my first one last week. It's Rolex Datejust II steel (2015). During the last days, I have noticed the very strange behavior of the automatic movement. The Rolex first stopped on Monday evening 08 PM (4 days after purchasing), left it on my home desk around 06:30 PM. Taking into consideration that I am working in desk-job, I thought it could make sense.
Then, I wear it Tuesday morning, and it works well during the day, stopped again at the evening (30 minutes after putting it on the desk). So I read in these forum some historic posts, talking about manual winding (30-40), and so I did in the evening before going to sleep.
When waking up in the morning, I found that the watch is working, but the moment I wear it stopped. A few shakes with my hands, and it got back to work.
The day after, the same behavior, keep working at night, the moment I wear it in the morning it stops until I am shaking my hand.
In addition, I found out during the day that in around 8 hours the watch is slowing 10 secs compared to the computer time (average of 30 sec a day), a way too much for Rolex, isn't it?

Anyone with such experience who can give us 2 cents? My AD said the watch is still under warranty and can be sent for free for service.
The question is if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
omrip7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:36 AM   #2
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
It most definitely has a problem if it won't run for at least 40 hours after a full hand wind (in fact the current movements are expected to run for closer to 50 I think), and stops when you wear it. The timekeeping is also well off.
I'd take up your AD's offer and get them to send it to Rolex.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Has the watch suffered from a fall or sharp blow? Seems like possibly a bent or broken balance staff. Or, possibly a hairspring that has been shifted or magnetized. Do you leave your cell phone next to your watch over night?
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:32 AM   #4
omrip7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
It most definitely has a problem if it won't run for at least 40 hours after a full hand wind (in fact the current movements are expected to run for closer to 50 I think), and stops when you wear it. The timekeeping is also well off.
I'd take up your AD's offer and get them to send it to Rolex.
Thanks I think I will!
Old 26 January 2018, 05:34 AM   #5
omrip7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Has the watch suffered from a fall or sharp blow? Seems like possibly a bent or broken balance staff. Or, possibly a hairspring that has been shifted or magnetized. Do you leave your cell phone next to your watch over night?

Not that I'm aware of. Regarding the cell phone, I think for half of the nights my cell was close to the box keeping it.
Old 26 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #6
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
This is somewhat similar to what I experienced. My watch just stopped ticking!
So I researched the first port of call: You Tube then the Rolex manual.

Correct me me if I am always right, but it says that it helps when you fully wind your brand new watch before wearing.

No problem after that, considering I wear mine for at least 8 hours a day.

But the damage was done, as my wife keeps on laughing and recalling the funny panic face I had on that day when my Rolex stopped ticking.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 09:27 PM   #7
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
This is somewhat similar to what I experienced. My watch just stopped ticking!
So I researched the first port of call: You Tube then the Rolex manual.

Correct me me if I am always right, but it says that it helps when you fully wind your brand new watch before wearing.

No problem after that, considering I wear mine for at least 8 hours a day.

But the damage was done, as my wife keeps on laughing and recalling the funny panic face I had on that day when my Rolex stopped ticking.
All automatic watches are expected to run at their best when either at or close to full wind. If you are an active person, and it's a good watch with efficient auto winding, giving it enough hand wind to get it going properly - say 15 winds or so to be on the safe side - should be enough to let the auto take over.

So you are right, giving it a full manual wind is a good way to avoid it having insufficient power to run properly.

I wear a lot of watches in rotation. Before I wear a fresh watch I give it a good hand wind. Some autos don't really like it, and there are well documented stories of some eta movements wearing prematurely, but I doubt each of mine gets wound more than once a month.

Some are very difficult to wind manually e.g. a superb IWC 854 movement in one of my favourite dress watches. Next to impossible to wind using just your fingers.

However, the OP made the point that following a full handwind in the evening, his watch stopped next morning as soon as he put it on.

That's a problem, and nothing to do with it not being sufficiently wound.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 10:38 PM   #8
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Take the watch back where you got it from and ask them to inspect it. Don't explain anything, just say it's stopping on your wrist.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 02:56 AM   #9
BravoOne
Banned

Same model, same vintage, similar problem. I'll be sending mine back shortly..
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote