The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #1
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Watch Collection Dilemma

Guys - I want to get some opinions on a couple possible trades that would result in a drastically changed watch collection. Appreciate any opinions/insights that you might have.

To get to it, I currently have a 3 piece collection consisting of: (i) a Submariner Hulk, (ii) an F.P. Journe Octa Automatic with Date in platinum, and (iii) a Breguet Marine Big Date in Rose gold on a rubber strap. I'm not in a place where i can attach pics at the moment, but if that's important i can update later.

The possible collection re-works:

1.Trade the Journe and the Breguet +$$ for (i) a Journe Chonometre Blue and (ii) an AP Royal Oak Chronograph (2017 rose gold case with blue dial on blue leather strap).

2. Trad my Journe and Breguet +$$ for a Platinum Lange Datograph up/down (2016 papers). This would put me at a 2 watch collection with the hulk.

Last bit: Any thoughts on the Journe Chonometre Blue vs a Lange 1815 up/down? About the same price point.

Appreciate any thoughts you fine folks might have.
johnnytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
KarlS
Banned

Dato....I found the CB a bit boring
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 01:49 AM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Spot on.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 02:21 AM   #4
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I think CB is a great watch if you have multiple pieces. Otherwise the Dato.

CB vs 1815, I will pick the CB eveytime.

Good luck n happy shopping! .. jen ;)
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 02:33 AM   #5
shafran
"TRF" Member

choice 1 but

two blue dial watches? I like that trilogy, but will you get bored of two blue.
I had the original dato, did not like the way it fit and short power reserve. Up down is much nicer. Journe is nicer than the 1815. I have both Journe and Lange in my collection, (4 watch collection) .
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 03:14 AM   #6
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

That's a good point. Appreciate the input.
johnnytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:36 AM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
To be honest I prefer the 3 to both variants. The dato is cool but try it on first, I wanted one but it sat so strangely on my wrist that I forgot about it, it was the up down, sits super high and many here call it the hockey puck, but movement is out of this world, but again I prefer the watches you already have to any change, would maybe trade the Hulk for some other Rolex, sub no date probably...
About getting bored of blue, if it's by far your favorite color like me, most shirts, pants and costumes are blue, my Harley is blue, I have 2 blue Nautilus and am getting a bkue Voutilainen, so never enough blue IMO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytx View Post
Guys - I want to get some opinions on a couple possible trades that would result in a drastically changed watch collection. Appreciate any opinions/insights that you might have.

To get to it, I currently have a 3 piece collection consisting of: (i) a Submariner Hulk, (ii) an F.P. Journe Octa Automatic with Date in platinum, and (iii) a Breguet Marine Big Date in Rose gold on a rubber strap. I'm not in a place where i can attach pics at the moment, but if that's important i can update later.

1.Trade the Journe and the Breguet +$$ for (i) a Journe Chonometre Blue and (ii) an AP Royal Oak Chronograph (2017 rose gold case with blue dial on blue leather strap).

2. Trad my Journe and Breguet +$$ for a Platinum Lange Datograph up/down (2016 papers). This would put me at a 2 watch collection with the hulk.

Last bit: Any thoughts on the Journe Chonometre Blue vs a Lange 1815 up/down? About the same price point.

I own two of those targets currently, the CB and the U/D Dato and until about 6 months ago also the ROC (albeit in steel not gold). I also own the Hulk. Very similar tastes I guess.

I'm not sure about your lifestyle / work situation etc but the Dato is a lot of watch to be wearing on a regular day. Wrist time for me has been limited to work days mostly. It's just a lot of $$$ to be walking around with. By contrast I wear the CB everywhere and anywhere and frequently it's my choice as a travel watch. So CB > Dato in terms of versatility (for me at least) and if the collection is two or three watches I think versatility is very important.

Re the CB v 1815, these are really apples and oranges. The choices simply comes down to which one is more you and which your more drawn to. IMO the CB wins this every time, I find the 1815 very dull in comparison.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of those watches, each is a fantastic piece and would be the grail in many a collection.

Last thought, what about the CB and a 1815 Chrono in Rose Gold / Black dial? The combined cost won't be far from the Dato U/D. That version of the 1815 Chrono with the pulsation scale is one of the best executions of that watch and it seems the price is attractive as of late.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I think CB is a great watch if you have multiple pieces. Otherwise the Dato.

CB vs 1815, I will pick the CB eveytime.

Good luck n happy shopping! .. jen ;)
I actually disagree with Jen here (Sorry Jen). The CB to me is the perfect watch and could be my only watch if needs be. For me it's a watch that can be worn any time anywhere (with a quick strap change if necessary). To my point below, I believe it to be extremely versatile.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 11:25 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Dato and Hulk.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 11:46 AM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I like all the pieces you currently own and the possible pieces you would get in a trade. I have a Journe CS and the RG Datograph up/down and AP RO chrono and AP ROO chrono amongst others. I have always had that Breguet large date marine on my list but never pulled the trigger on that watch.
First, I prefer the Lange 1815 up/down more than the Journe CB. The later is nice but as mentioned something good to own if you have a lot of other pieces.

I really like the Lange Dato up/down but it is heavy and not the easiest to wear in very casual situations -- but you would still have the Hulk. Then you might save up for a third watch down the line and something to look forward to.

However, in all the three you own now is a very nice complementary group and I might just stay with the status quo. None of the decisions are bad ones by any means and you have similar tastes to mine :)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 12:28 PM   #12
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I actually disagree with Jen here (Sorry Jen). The CB to me is the perfect watch and could be my only watch if needs be. For me it's a watch that can be worn any time anywhere (with a quick strap change if necessary). To my point below, I believe it to be extremely versatile.
Haha.. Jay I know n I do get what you mean. I am waiting for my CB. been waiting for 3 months n hopefully not too much longer. CB is one of those watches that NEED to be seen in real before one can judge. That dial is just mesmerizing. I tried one 3 months ago.. jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 01:06 PM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
This. Had a cb, still have a Dato. Dato is the right choice imo
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:26 PM   #14
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Dato and Hulk make a great one two combo IMO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:33 PM   #15
descartes
"TRF" Member

Datograph + The Rolex
Old 22 July 2017, 11:00 PM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Many for the Dato, again try it on, not a watch which fits all
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:01 AM   #17
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytx View Post

I also have the Octa RDM, if that's the watch you mean? It's my "best" watch and I'd be very sorry to sell it. Now it's out of production, I predict prices will inexorably increase as it was his first selfwinding watch and there can't be too many around. It's also classic FPJ with the dial layout.

I would go for the CB, also a very hot watch, difficult to find and prices going up. It's a stunner.

So I'd ditch the green sub and the Breguet, and have two very different Journes.

Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote