The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 September 2020, 06:58 AM   #31
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Play nice boys before the thread is closed and infractions are handed out.
Old 27 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #32
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserflorida View Post
I would not trust anyone else at this point with vintage Rolex
I don't have a dog in this fight, but... you wouldn't trust ANYONE else?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:01 AM   #33
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
What is still unclear, here or on IG, is whether Michael Morgan disclosed that the GMT was re-lumed when he sold it.

If he disclosed the re-lume when he marketed/sold the watch, he did nothing wrong, regardless of how Stephane advertised the watch when he re-sold it.

If Michael didn't disclose the relume when he marketed/sold the watch, that's really bad, obviously.

Until that part of this story is clarified, I'll reserve judgement.
It seems very clear to me that it was undisclosed. NO ONE thinks there's a problem with selling a relumed watch if it's properly disclosed. This thread wouldn't exist if it was disclosed.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:07 AM   #34
watchknut
Banned

As the person that brought all of this light, I can share with you this...

My friend sold the watch to MM with a poorly relumed dial a few months back.

I learned last night from a collector in Asia that his friend was offered the watch in August by MM with an enhanced dial and it was not sold.

MM sold the watch to Stephane with what appears to be a story about the swapped dial.

Stephane sold the watch as original to his client.

I saw the posting online, recognized the watch, found pics from text messages with my buddy who sold to MM and posted on IG after asking Stephane for clarity. He claimed as dial
Swap and that my pics were of a different dial. Not true. My pics show the distinct paint loss from 12-1 and a hashmark at 40. It’s the same dial. I post a follow comparison of the dials proving there was no dial swap.

Today it comes to light that Stephane bought from MM in its current state with a much better relume. He has refunded the buyer and getting the watch returned.

Do we know what was shared or disclosed between those 2? Nope.

Do we know that the watch came to MM in one condition and left his possession in another? Yes.

Someone needs to clear their name here. As there is this story about a swapped dial...yet that cannot be true.

Experienced dealers don’t mess up like this and sweep it under the rug.
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchknut View Post

I learned last night from a collector in Asia that his friend was offered the watch in August by MM with an enhanced dial and it was not sold.

MM sold the watch to Stephane with what appears to be a story about the swapped dial.

I saw the posting online, recognized the watch, found pics from text messages with my buddy who sold to MM and posted on IG after asking Stephane for clarity. He claimed as dial
Swap and that my pics were of a different dial. Not true. My pics show the distinct paint loss from 12-1 and a hashmark at 40. It’s the same dial. I post a follow comparison of the dials proving there was no dial swap.

Today it comes to light that Stephane bought from MM in its current state with a much better relume. He has refunded the buyer and getting the watch returned.

Do we know that the watch came to MM in one condition and left his possession in another? Yes.

Someone needs to clear their name here. As there is this story about a swapped dial...yet that cannot be true.

So the watch was basically laundered. I don't have a great opinion about most of these glamour dealers to begin with, but stories like this just reinforce my feelings about how dirty the business is.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:31 AM   #36
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
So the story is that Michael sold to Stephane as the dial being swapped instead of it being relumed? That's the big sticking point here? The dials are clearly the same. As philip pointed out on watchknut's post on IG, the paint loss at 1 and the hash at 40 are clear indicators of it being one and the same.

I would like to hear Michael's side of the story before I pass judgement. If he clearly disclosed to Stephane that it was a relume then seems to be a problem on Stephane's part. If he didn't then it's on Michael. Either way someone is in the wrong here.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:46 AM   #37
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
Either way someone is in the wrong here.
So you want to know which one will throw the other under the bus. They could both be in the wrong. I doubt anything either one of them says is going to make the situation clear, or make them look good.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:47 AM   #38
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

John aka Springer has been a great asset to this community. Helped me many times and many guys I know. No reason for the bashing of John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
V.lats97nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:54 AM   #39
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
This has been a crazy thread...I've only heard good things about Morgan, so hope he can come here and speak for himself.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:58 AM   #40
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
So you want to know which one will throw the other under the bus. They could both be in the wrong. I doubt anything either one of them says is going to make the situation clear, or make them look good.
I just want to know the truth behind this situation. I’ve never heard of Stephane but Michael is one of the most respected in the business. Surely it’s not unreasonable to expect Michael to address this situation and hear his side of the story. He’s pretty active on TRF.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:10 AM   #41
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
This thread wouldn't exist if it was disclosed.
The question is WHO didn’t disclose what? Michael is being accused of something we don’t know is a fact. Maybe he did disclose to all parties he had the dial relumed. Maybe not. We need to hear his side of the story.

Quote:
Today it comes to light that Stephane bought from MM in its current state with a much better relume.

This is the key. We don’t know.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #42
jjfesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618 LB smurf
You people have too much time on your hands.

jjfesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:15 AM   #43
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Interesting thread..... Im curious to know how the watch was sold to its last buyer from Stephane as "all original".....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:18 AM   #44
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfesq View Post

Really?? I would love to see your reaction if you paid top $$ for something and then realised it was fake /messed with / not original :)
Old 27 September 2020, 08:22 AM   #45
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.lats97nsx View Post
John aka Springer has been a great asset to this community. Helped me many times and many guys I know. No reason for the bashing of John.

So that makes it ok for John to bash others constantly? He doesn’t need others to fight his fights.. John needs to learn some manors and to stop bashing dealers and bashing people. You think it’s right he sends me an unsolicited message out of no where bashing dealers and being condescending to me for no reason?
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:38 AM   #46
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

The irony of you commenting on here isn’t lost.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:48 AM   #47
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
So that makes it ok for John to bash others constantly? He doesn’t need others to fight his fights.. John needs to learn some manors and to stop bashing dealers and bashing people. You think it’s right he sends me an unsolicited message out of no where bashing dealers and being condescending to me for no reason?
nope, but moderators have already weighed in and the rest of this thread is pretty interesting so in the best interest of everyone I think it's best just to drop it and report him in the future if you feel you're personally being harassed and let the mods deal with it. no need to drag it out for the peanut gallery.

interested to see what information turns up about this, would be sad to find out MM tried passing this off.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:17 AM   #48
jjfesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Really?? I would love to see your reaction if you paid top $$ for something and then realised it was fake /messed with / not original :)

Caveat Emptor.
Buy the seller not the watch.
A good seller would take the watch back no questions asked.
Unless you really know what you’re doing don’t buy investment grade vintage, Good chance you’re going to get burned.

Old 27 September 2020, 09:31 AM   #49
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Caveat Emptor.
Buy the seller not the watch.
A good seller would take the watch back no questions asked.

emmmm, I dont think you've read the story... They are both known sellers :) and honestly, no its not just a matter of taking the watch back....
Old 27 September 2020, 09:48 AM   #50
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:

What happened to all the IG posts?
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:18 AM   #51
watchknut
Banned

I archived them.

I did my part and alerted the community, and helped save a collector from getting a watch with issues.

I didn’t like them in my feed...too much negativity.
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:29 AM   #52
Pitbos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I archived them.

I did my part and alerted the community, and helped save a collector from getting a watch with issues.

I think you did a great thing by putting it all out there. But it’s much much bigger than just this one sale. If M Morgan and other very well known dealers misrepresented this 1675, then it stands to reason that every watch they’ve ever sold could come under scrutiny and be suspect. I hope lawyers didn’t get involved in this behind the scenes.

Pitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:44 AM   #53
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
I archived them.

I can understand that and think you did the right thing all the way around.

Hopefully MM will address this and clear it up.. Hopefully.
Because I have always thought very highly of him.

Thank you for your keen eye on all of this. You saved someone a lot of financial pain.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:58 AM   #54
jjfesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
emmmm, I dont think you've read the story... They are both known sellers :) and honestly, no its not just a matter of taking the watch back....

Yeah it is that simple. Your word is the most important thing you have in life.

Old 27 September 2020, 11:47 AM   #55
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed, taking back the watch just because they got caught is better than denying it and not taking the watch back, but it doesn't really address the main issues of integrity and trust. Apparently, this was not just an innocent mistake.
Old 27 September 2020, 12:41 PM   #56
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Yeah it is that simple. Your word is the most important thing you have in life.

It's only half according to Tony Montana.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:55 PM   #57
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Right now the attention is surprisingly on Michael Morgan who is a member here. I am really very shocked by all of this revolving around worldly watches and MM.. On the flip side, in the past, I have been mislead by a very known dealer and sold something to find out the hands were relumed. It was ultimately taken care of. I think the most important thing here is the buyer of this watch is getting his money back. I think we would all be surprised at what goes on in some circles of “elite collectors and dealers” trust takes years to build and only seconds to break. Such a shame and makes this even more scary for our hobby
Unfortunately, you are correct about some of the "elite dealers" and even more so that it takes many years to build a foundation which can be devastated by one incident, ( Your word is everything).

I also feel the growing lack of interest in buying vintage Rolex's due to situations like this and how the enjoyment is no longer there. This community is small and even so with ones who are willing to purchase watches of this value. Ultimately, this will have an impact on the prices in which collectors pay, IMO.
Old 27 September 2020, 06:46 PM   #58
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I really wonder what's going on in the vintage market. Seems like a lof of vintage watches are being touched up the past few years to get that extra grand or few grands (or even more) out of the watch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure a lot has been going on for decades now but the past few years it's more noticeable? Re-cutting cases, polishing (and overpolishing of new watches as well), re-luming, .... but all at a high(er) level. People have become really skilled at this so if you are able to pull it off and you want to walk that line, you could get away with it. Same with tropical dials and people altering it. That's how you get rich.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:20 PM   #59
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Reserving judgement until more info is out.

Buying the seller is not always the safe bet. There are some excellent sellers that miss things and some (most) that embellish and some spin tales.
Old 27 September 2020, 11:40 PM   #60
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
What was the asking price of this 1675? I’m just trying to understand the damage monetarily.

I do find it fascinating that everyone here is ok with a relume, so long as it is ‘disclosed’. It’s not okay, because as it filters through the relume absolutely will not get disclosed. The reality is that there is another 1675 with a piece of shite dial floating around that looks great to most people. Damage done
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iconic watch company , michael morgan