The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 1 January 2017, 02:41 AM   #1
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Breitling Super Avenger II vs Avenger Hurricane

So far I have a Panerai Pam 90 and a Rolex Two tone bluesy Submariner. I want to add a 3rd watch to the collection and this time I want a Breitling. I like the 24 hour display and large 50mm size of the Avenger Hurricane but I wonder if its worth substantially more than the Breitling Super Avenger II which is a 48mm. Also the Hurricane is made of a new "Breitlight" material which is basically plastic for a watch that has an MSRP for $8,390. If you had to choose one over the other which one would you go for and why? I like my watches bold and flashy with wrist presense instead of being low key and flying under the radar. Save my money and go with the Super Avenger 2 or spend the extra $ and get the 24 hour display and 50mm case of the Avenger Hurricane?
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 02:57 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I say go for the Super Avenger II:

Image from Google

I saw that new material in person. At least it won't shatter like a ceramic cased watch could if it gets hit hard or periodically over the years. That being said though I would stay clear of it. A nice stainless steel watch would always get my vote. Regardless to what you decide though it's a win win. Either one fits nicely into your collection and offers something unique.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I say go for the Super Avenger II:

Image from Google

I saw that new material in person. At least it won't shatter like a ceramic cased watch could if it gets hit hard or periodically over the years. That being said though I would stay clear of it. A nice stainless steel watch would always get my vote. Regardless to what you decide though it's a win win. Either one fits nicely into your collection and offers something unique.
Any specific reason as to why you would not choose the Hurricane? I dont see many watches that have a 24 hour display though
Old 2 January 2017, 12:01 AM   #4
56scooter
"TRF" Member

I don't think that either will fly under any radar out there. The super avenger is definitely big and bright with the hurricane being even bigger but not as bright. If you can pull of the size I would go for the hurricane for two reasons, the first is that it is new and you won't see many out there and the second reason is that it comes with Breitling's in-house movement which will give you another 3 years of piece of mind! (5 years vs. 2 year warranty on the super avenger). But as most people will say get the one that you love, the one that sings to you and when you decide make sure to post some pictures! Good Luck!!
56scooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 01:54 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
Any specific reason as to why you would not choose the Hurricane? I dont see many watches that have a 24 hour display though
Yeah, it's simply personal preference for me. In general I prefer a metal finished watch (steel, Titanium, prescious) vs an all black watch be it this material or ceramic.

All black watches do look cool though but that's just where I stand on them. I love the look of the high polished steel or gold Breitling watches so much.

In regards to the 24 hour display, it's neat and very useful for quick reference military time. I'm just more of a traditional type person. If you aren't (considering you've got other traditional pieces in the collection) this should be a simple choice for your wants and needs.

Image from Google

Nothing under the radar about this watch at all
Old 3 January 2017, 04:16 AM   #6
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

I know watches arent investments and it doesnt matter much in the grand scheme of things but will the Super Avenger 2 in Blue with a stainless steel bracelet hold better resale value over the Avenger Hurricane?
Old 3 January 2017, 05:09 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Regardless to what anyone says I like to treat my watches like investments I enjoy(something I buy to use that hopefully increases in value some day). That would also include minimizing any losses if resale was to be considered. I've done well over the years and had A LOT of fun.

Breitling in general normally means taking a bath (a beating, more accurately) on depreciation if you resell a piece that was purchased new. I've learned my lesson with Omega about 10 years ago, buying new from an AD. If pre-owned is an option give it some thought if you're not 100% sure it's a life keeper (are we ever sure though?).

Now, if you do buy one new many factors can have an impact on the resale value and ease. Getting something that's more sought after in general can often simplify the process. The Avenger although more common might appeal to a larger group of potential buyers. The Hurricane is unique and limited but many may not be fond of the material used in the case and bracelet vs traditional metals.

There's never a way to know for sure but something tells me you might have an easier sale with the Super Avenger II. Just be sure before making the choice between the two and enjoy it to the fullest. The joy the watch brings you will be worth any potential loss if you did one day want to resell either one.
Old 3 January 2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

I can get a Brand new Hurricane for about $6250 and a new Super Avenger 2 for $3875. From the same dealer I got my Rolex and brand new Panerai from with warranty card.
Old 3 January 2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
You won't be disappointed with the SA2 - she's a stunner ;)

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 12:20 PM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
I can get a Brand new Hurricane for about $6250 and a new Super Avenger 2 for $3875. From the same dealer I got my Rolex and brand new Panerai from with warranty card.
That's a tough choice! I'm still not sold on that new material and how well it'll age to be honest. My vote is still for the Super Avenger II and the picture posted directly above this says it all for me!!!

Buy the Super Avenger II, take the left over funds and do something else with it. Go on an adventure, buy someone a nice gift, something. I was by the Breitling AD today on lunch but didn't have time to stop in and look at that watch again.
Old 5 January 2017, 03:51 AM   #11
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
That's a tough choice! I'm still not sold on that new material and how well it'll age to be honest. My vote is still for the Super Avenger II and the picture posted directly above this says it all for me!!!

Buy the Super Avenger II, take the left over funds and do something else with it. Go on an adventure, buy someone a nice gift, something. I was by the Breitling AD today on lunch but didn't have time to stop in and look at that watch again.
The more research I do the more Im leaning towards the Super Avenger 2 with a Blue dial like the one posted above. I am reading that there are old movements that were used in that watch. How can I tell which Super Avenger 2 has the newer movement in it?
Old 5 January 2017, 01:01 PM   #12
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I don't recall the movements ever changing in the Super Avenger.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 01:01 PM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

What was the base movement in them?
Old 5 January 2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Isn't it a 25 jewel caliber 13 based on the eta valjoux 7750 (28,800) ?
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2017, 12:23 AM   #15
arexander
"TRF" Member

i think you would probably like the marginally more versatile SAII
arexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 03:59 PM   #16
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I believe sa has a seperate crown tube which maybe helpful for long term serviceability
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2017, 11:03 AM   #17
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
You won't be disappointed with the SA2 - she's a stunner ;)

Love the blue.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote