The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2019, 07:16 AM   #1
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Titleist 718 ap3

Anyone play these new Titleist irons? I have the 712 ap1 irons right now but it’s time for an upgrade. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #2
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
i have seen some reviews on these clubs and they do look awesome. To be honest though I don't think its much of a huge upgrade from what you're currently playing. A while back I was thinking of switching my clubs too, currently I hit Rsi1 irons, but to sink 1000 into a new set that i may get 2-3 yards extra on doesn't make much sense.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #3
rb250
"TRF" Member

I will by preowned. I have seen some sets on eBay for about $700. My clubs are probably 6 years old now. I figure technology must have gotten somewhat better in this timeframe.

I was talking to the owner of this small golf shop by my house. He said golf clubs depreciate 50% after the first year and 20% every year after up to 5 years. That’s why I will go the pre owned route.
Old 10 January 2019, 07:53 AM   #4
blufinz52

Watch: 116400GV 124060
I play Ping! Highly recommend!
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #5
rb250
"TRF" Member

What model ping? Btw in probably about a 10 handicap.
Old 10 January 2019, 08:25 AM   #6
blufinz52

Watch: 116400GV 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
What model ping? Btw in probably about a 10 handicap.
Ping i20. I'm a 14 handicap.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:42 AM   #7
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ping player also! Have been since the 90’s. The pro at the club talked me into a set of TaylorMade irons once. I had them 1 season and went back to Ping. I’m sure it was a mind set thing...but I’ve always loved my Pings. Currently playing G400’s. I do play a TaylorMade M2 driver and 3 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:50 AM   #8
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
I'm a Titleist guy through and through. Been a loyal AP2 guy for over 10 years and find that Titleist and Ping retain value better than most. Probably due to the fact that their cycles are so long as opposed to TM.
AP3's lie nicely between the 1 and 2. Players game improvement I guess. Hit them this summer and liked them. I don't buy into this whole distance iron things. Jacked lofts seem dumb. If I have 150 yard to the green, so I care if I have a 7, 8 or 9 iron in my hand.
Give 'em a whirl. Clubs that are right for one don't necessarily work for others.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:38 AM   #9
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I played the 716 MB for a while, moved to the CB's recently. I think for the money, the AP2's are about as good as it gets for most players.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Mizuno for irons. Butter.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #11
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Callaway stealhead here!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:59 AM   #12
rb250
"TRF" Member

I think I need something a little more forgiving than the AP2 Irons. But yes they are great clubs. I have never hit them. Maybe I need to next time I go to the PGA superstore.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:08 PM   #13
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
I think I need something a little more forgiving than the AP2 Irons. But yes they are great clubs. I have never hit them. Maybe I need to next time I go to the PGA superstore.

You might be surprised! The taylormade p790s are extremely forgiving. You should definitely hit them and get fit for correct shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 January 2019, 12:28 PM   #14
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
You might be surprised! The taylormade p790s are extremely forgiving. You should definitely hit them and get fit for correct shafts.

Agree!

Love the P790s. Look and profile gives confidence at address and the feel is perfect. They have the almost the same distance and forgiveness as the M2s but have more control. Got the gapr hi as well and much prefer it over a traditional hybrid. I don’t plan on getting rid of these clubs for a very long time.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:51 PM   #15
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Agree!

Love the P790s. Look and profile gives confidence at address and the feel is perfect. They have the almost the same distance and forgiveness as the M2s but have more control. Got the gapr hi as well and much prefer it over a traditional hybrid. I don’t plan on getting rid of these clubs for a very long time.

I have buddies that are 16 handicaps playing and friends that are +1’s. It really fits all games.

Old 11 January 2019, 01:38 AM   #16
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Mizuno muscle backs and split cavity when I was younger and playing a lot. Now Ping cavity back for forgiveness.
Old 11 January 2019, 01:55 AM   #17
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
I have not hit the new irons yet but I love my AP2’s. They are the 710s (first series) and I will play them until they fall apart. I should probably pick up a spare unused set and stash them away to use when mine wear out!
Old 11 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #18
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Good friend plays the AP3 718's. He is a 5 handicap. I hit them, they are long and have decent feel. He has steel fiber S shafts in them. The lofts are strong so it is hard to tell if it is actually innovation in materials/design or stronger lofts that makes them "distance" irons. On the launch monitor I liked the 718 TMB's better than the AP3. Liked the feel and workability better. Been a Titleist guy most of my life, but I am playing Mizuno irons the last few years. I am a 4 handicap. Lately playing my older set of MP59's, but I do have Titleist 712U 2 and 3 irons in the bag--which is the predecessor to the TMB's. The 712U are forged and have better feel than the TMB but are not as forgiving.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 03:04 AM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Good friend plays the AP3 718's. He is a 5 handicap. I hit them, they are long and have decent feel. He has steel fiber S shafts in them. The lofts are strong so it is hard to tell if it is actually innovation in materials/design or stronger lofts that makes them "distance" irons. On the launch monitor I liked the 718 TMB's better than the AP3. Liked the feel and workability better. Been a Titleist guy most of my life, but I am playing Mizuno irons the last few years. I am a 4 handicap. Lately playing my older set of MP59's, but I do have Titleist 712U 2 and 3 irons in the bag--which is the predecessor to the TMB's. The 712U are forged and have better feel than the TMB but are not as forgiving.
The TMB's are great. I hit the ball so high they just wouldnt work for me. The do look great though.
Old 11 January 2019, 03:08 AM   #20
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
The TMB's are great. I hit the ball so high they just wouldnt work for me. The do look great though.
Yep, they do launch high. You can take some of the launch angle out with shafts but with some swings even that will not work. I could not play a whole set, but I do like those old 712 U's for long irons. When I build clubs everything is about reducing spin and lowering launch angle--opposite of what most golfers are trying to do. The KBS Tour V X flex shaft is by far the best shaft for my swing. Lower spin and flight.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 11:01 AM   #21
Dyim
"TRF" Member

And I was thinking what kind of a Porsche thread was this.

Never mind, carry on.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 07:52 PM   #22
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I play Callaway Apex CF 16 irons. Had them since they came out in 2015. Like them a lot. Played Mixuno MX-23 irons many years ago. Mizunos are great too. I dont see changing any time soon due to cost and my skill level. Im a 13-14 handicap and dont think a new set will improve my game substantially. I have fun playing though, bad rounds and all. Hit em straight fellas. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:00 AM   #23
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I owned the AP3's last year for the season and enjoyed them. They have a great topline looking down on the ball especially for an "improvement" iron.

I actually didn't enjoy the clicky feeling of them it was a little difficult to get proper club feedback from them so I actually switched over to the Taylormade P790.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought the 790's from the start absolutely incredible club with great technology.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:29 AM   #24
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
If you are a 10, you probably have enough pure shots to understand what it feels like in great equipment. You probably break 80 when the putts are dropping. I played AP2's years ago, and have often thought that the if I played something "harder to hit" because it is made for a lower handicapper, and I hit it right, I would be rewarded. Problem is that you don't hit enough pure shots and it isn't fun anymore. Go back to something a little more forgiving.
I have had many many sets in the past 10 years. Have enjoyed playing Japanese brands like Maruman, Fourteen, Royal Collection and Honma. They aren't for everyone.
It has been said that Callaway has taken the top spot away from Titleist. I believe you should try the newer releases from them.
btw...I play PXG cause I wanted to try the latest and greatest. When you hit it pure, its great! But lets face it, when you suck, you suck.
Enjoy your rounds no matter what! It's better than an office any day:)
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:34 AM   #25
rb250
"TRF" Member

There are just so many options. I need to spend a couple hours hitting a few different clubs and see what I hit best. Trying not to over think it.
Old 12 January 2019, 04:04 PM   #26
FloridaRolexGuy23
Banned

Can’t go wrong with titleist product, I bounce around drivers but ap2 has been my go to set for the last couple seasons.
FloridaRolexGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:40 PM   #27
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Mizuno for irons. Butter.
This, I am perplexed why most avid golfers don't even know or consider Mizuno. They are the Grand Seiko of golf clubs.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #28
rb250
"TRF" Member

The new Mizuno JPX 919’s forged look sweet. I am going to go hit them.
Old 13 January 2019, 02:37 PM   #29
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Taylormade m2...18 handicap...probably would be 20 with other clubs as they are super forgiving
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 03:21 PM   #30
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
This, I am perplexed why most avid golfers don't even know or consider Mizuno. They are the Grand Seiko of golf clubs.

That’s a wonderful comparison. That is absolutely spot on. When i was a kid, mizuno mp 14s were everything. They still make phenomenal irons, they just don’t have a lot for the mid to high handicap IMO. They tend to lean toward s more of a player iron which i think pushes people away. They need to build themselves a p790 type set and they can start grabbing that portion of the market.