The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2023, 08:07 PM   #1
LoanLOL
"TRF" Member

Contempling a vintage Seamaster

Hello guys ! Being more into Cartier and Rolex, please excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to Omega.

I came accross a model that I just find superb on Chrono24 and would love to hear your feedback about the watch.

https://www.chrono24.fr/omega/omega-...id26963190.htm

Anything I should be considering before making the purchase ? (movement, case materials, service cost, alternatives ...)

Have a nice day !
LoanLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 10:38 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
There is a lot that I like about it. There are a couple of things about it that could cause me to pause and browse a bit further: 1) Omega "bumper" self-winding movements are not my favorites, and the self-winding Omega calibers that came a few years after (with winding rotors that turn full circle) were extraordinarily good (caliber numbers in the 500 series), and 2) the hands are a bit crusty with corrosion and the indices on the dial might also be a bit corroded, and 3) I feel like the seller is asking a bit too much for this one. Not a whole lot, but if you do proceed with this one then I recommend offering a lower price.

There is another good forum that's much like TRF often has very nice vintage Omega watches go across its Sales Corner. The members are very friendly and the watches are often great examples, but you may have to watch for a while before interesting candidates come up for sale: https://omegaforums.net/
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 01:35 AM   #3
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

I think its overpriced for what it is. I like the watch but refuse to pay anything over a grand for vintage and refurbished pieces like this.

Vintage is a slippery slope, its easy to go down (some classic models are hotter than Ursula Andress) but you must know a lot about the watch, era, movement before you dive in.
Cr_Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 06:16 PM   #4
LoanLOL
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for your answers !

My first thought was that the price was more than reasonable for what appear to be a gold watch ... or perhaps is it only gold plated ?

I'll do my research on the movement as well.
Old 30 May 2023, 09:14 PM   #5
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Dial is redone, case is heavily polished and that is easily double what I would expect it to sell for on the high side.
I have seen better examples for $800.

Gold bumper automatics typically sell for less than $1,000, unless they are oversized or chronometer grade. This is neither.
Gold filled models can easily be found for $300.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:37 PM   #6
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

If you can't buy one locally I would try eBay.
If you search "Omega 18k bumper" and look at completed auctions the high for one was $1700 the low was $837.
Old 30 May 2023, 11:36 PM   #7
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I looked at this post again.
The watch is advertised as a Seamster, which is more desirable, however it has no markings stating it is a Seamaster.
Old 3 June 2023, 01:25 AM   #8
LoanLOL
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for your advices, I wll defintetly look more into it and move on with this particular ad
Old 5 June 2023, 01:40 PM   #9
Motorist456
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Great looking piece. I’d take a quick look at one of the old 300m Diver models with the metal bracelet and blue/black dial. These models from the ‘80s and ‘90s are reasonably priced and very nice to have.
Motorist456 is offline   Reply With Quote