The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2023, 04:27 AM   #1
mattmazz7
"TRF" Member

2 for 1 AP

All I own is rolex and have never seen an AP in person and no AD close to me. I’ve recently thought of trading two steel rolex pieces for a 15510 blue dial or a steel blue dial chrono. There is a rave that AP is levels above rolex. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattmazz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 04:33 AM   #2
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Sounds a good plan to me.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 04:54 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

You need to try them on to decide because fit varies so much on people.

I’m generally in the camp of AP, but I think the spreads are so wide right now on trade in you’ll get hosed and it won’t be worth it.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:03 AM   #4
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
where in CA. are you located? I suggest you take visit to BH or Costa Mesa. I too was all about Rolex but once you see/try on AP it's hard to go back.
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:40 AM   #5
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Depends which Rolex’s, but I had Rolex and I’ve now gradually gone to AP. The blue 15510 is indeed amazing but given you’ll be going grey and therefore possibly losing out (depends on which Rolex’s and what you paid for those), it’s safer to at least try the AP on.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 07:59 AM   #6
Armis
"TRF" Member

I agree with Commandopat above. Rolex is excellent, hands down, so in comparing with AP it’s a matter of which Rolex models you are talking about. Ideally, it’s not an all or nothing proposition where you choose between Rolex or AP, as opposed to having both in a collection, no matter how modest the collection may be. That’s why making the effort to try on an AP at any grey dealer nearest you will help you decide which Rolex pieces you may want to trade.
Good luck.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:58 AM   #7
messikens
"TRF" Member

I'd suggest it depends on three things
1. Which Rolexes are you considering trading and would you have to add cash?
2. Which ones do you have left and what would you daily?
3. Have you tried on an AP before? I'd recommend finding one and trying it on, even if it's from.a local secondary market.dealer

Personally I think an AP is heads and shoulders above a Rolex but I don't think it'd be my only daily watch. There's a reason Rolex is the 800lb Gorilla. The style, recognizability and sturdiness is bar none.

What I'm trying to say is an AP is a perfect complement / upgrade but not the one watch (for me)
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:11 AM   #8
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

OP has made quite a few threads asking this for the last few months. Sounds like he has a Pepsi, panda, and blue sky dweller. I would rather have those 3 Rolex’s versus one time/date RO, even though the RO is miles ahead of any of those watches individually. But having a GMT, chrono, and a sky and giving that up for a time / date doesn’t make sense to me.

Now if you just add the RO while keeping those 3 Rolex’s, that is a great collection.

But anyway, since you have asked this question many times, I’m assuming this has been on your head for awhile….so might as well get the AP….but I recommend keeping the Pepsi since AP no longer makes a dual time and RO’s aren’t good bearer watches like a steel pepsi is
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:31 AM   #9
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
OP has made quite a few threads asking this for the last few months. Sounds like he has a Pepsi, panda, and blue sky dweller. I would rather have those 3 Rolex’s versus one time/date RO, even though the RO is miles ahead of any of those watches individually. But having a GMT, chrono, and a sky and giving that up for a time / date doesn’t make sense to me.
Would make sense for OP to add those details. I'd try to swap the blue Sky dweller + cash for the RO in that case.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:54 AM   #10
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on what the 2 steel pieces are. I wouldn't trade a 116500 and a steel skydweller for a steel AP unless it's a 15202/16202, as an example. In general AP steel watches are another level higher than the Rolex.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:58 AM   #11
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

Yeboi yeboi
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 10:01 AM   #12
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Not sure what you have in terms of Rolex steel models, but here's what I have an my honest opinion.

1. I have 3 steel sports Rolex - white dial Daytona (2020), Batman (2021) and Pepsi (2020)
2. I have AP RO 15510 blue dial

I wear all 4 watches regularly and can tell you that the Rolex steel sports watches are much more comfortable to wear daily. Metal is more smoother and just feels better on the wrist. The micro adjust on the Oyster bracelet is really great and especially helpful if you are wearing the watch all day.

AP RO is absolutely stunning to look at, but wearing it all day can be tiring and I'll often take it off for a bit and then put it back on the wrist. I don't know what rest of your collection looks like, but I'd say it's worth experiencing both and deciding what works for you.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the AP RO and wear it often - and the blue dial is SO stunning.
pav333hp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:24 AM   #13
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Not sure what you have in terms of Rolex steel models, but here's what I have an my honest opinion.

1. I have 3 steel sports Rolex - white dial Daytona (2020), Batman (2021) and Pepsi (2020)

I wear all 4 watches regularly and can tell you that the Rolex steel sports watches are much more comfortable to wear daily. Metal is more smoother and just feels better on the wrist. The micro adjust on the Oyster bracelet is really great and especially helpful if you are wearing the watch all day.

AP RO is absolutely stunning to look at, but wearing it all day can be tiring and I'll often take it off for a bit and then put it back on the wrist. I don't know what rest of your collection looks like, but I'd say it's worth experiencing both and deciding what works for you.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the AP RO and wear it often - and the blue dial is SO stunning.
+1
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 12:26 PM   #14
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post

I agree the micro adjustments of the Rolex bracelets are great.
I disagree you can’t comfortably daily an AP. My RO’s are more comfortable than my DSSD or the ROO I had, so I think it may depend what Rolex’s you have.
My APs are super comfortable but they do scratch easier than Rolex (at least visibly so) but I don’t care so thag again becomes a personal decision.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 01:43 PM   #15
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I made the leap into AP last year, and I own a Code and a RO. Apart from one of the DD I own it’s AP for me. Really are a cut above a Rolex IMHO. I would do a trade if you can’t get on a list for an AP.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 09:37 PM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go try them on. No blind purchases.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:18 AM   #17
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

I own a 15202. It is quickly becoming a favorite. However, I don't wear it nearly as much as the Rolex watches I own. The Royal Oak bracelet and the bezel are so much of what is great about the watch and I don't want to bang them up. I do end up wearing the Royal Oak to the playground with my kids from time to time, but I am pretty wrist aware when I do things like this.

Royal Oak is a less robust watch than a Rolex professional model and my daily activities include commuting to work via bike on San Francisco's worn roads, and taking care of 2 toddlers (diapers, baths, etc). A Rolex is up to the task, but I see my Royal Oak more as a dress watch in my collection. Also, if something does happen requiring repair, it's going to be more expensive, take longer, and be more involved of a process.

If I had to find the in between compromise in my collection, a BLRO jubilee would be it. Robust enough for everyday and dressy enough for anything short of black tie. However, I was recently in a meeting at work and someone else wore a Pepsi, and then later that night having dinner at my club and similarly a friend also wore the same watch, so I value having something different. So everything comes with pros and cons, but I look at watch collecting as a journey and I'm working on checking all the boxes!
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote