The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2023, 09:01 AM   #331
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I meant wealthy people. That’s totally a demographic.
Here you go. This is a good summary.

"Here's who pays the most"
"The highest-earning Americans pay the most in combined federal, state and local taxes, the Tax Foundation noted. As a group, the top quintile — those earning $130,001 or more annually — paid $3.23 trillion in taxes, compared with $142 billion for the bottom quintile, or those earning less than $25,000."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-pay...20%2425%2C000.
Old 30 May 2023, 09:16 AM   #332
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
It’s not siding with the government that rankled some folks. I’ve had watches shipped to me to avoid/decrease sales tax many times, so I don’t care.
It’s the attitude that “if he’s buying a Rolex, he’s probably paid more that his fair share so rules shouldn’t apply to him.” That’s annoying.

Especially since people buying Platonas are probably the demographic least likely to pay their “fair share.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Least likely to “pay their fair share”. That’s an interesting statement. How you define fair share is the key here. Aside from payroll taxes, which for the most part are just forced retirement and disability insurance, the bottom 50% pays zero income tax towards the general budget in the US. “Fair” is very relative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2023, 09:21 AM   #333
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMySix View Post
What's your take on the clientele in NYC? Just curious as you seem to have your finger on the pulse in most American cities.

More diverse!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 30 May 2023, 09:34 AM   #334
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMySix View Post
"Around the world", there's more indentured servitude/child labor/death/ destruction and chaos in the world than ever before...
Read "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari.

He lays out all the data showing that there is LESS of those things than at any time in human history. This is the safest period of time in Earth's history for humans.

These are the good old days, world wide. The pockets where political powers will not allow peace, freedom, prosperity are smaller than ever before.
Old 30 May 2023, 09:58 AM   #335
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Worked at an AD in Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorGMT View Post
Read "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari.

He lays out all the data showing that there is LESS of those things than at any time in human history. This is the safest period of time in Earth's history for humans.

These are the good old days, world wide. The pockets where political powers will not allow peace, freedom, prosperity are smaller than ever before.

Yuval Noah Harari is right. You’re right.

Here’s the thing though…I think we can do better. There are still huge homeless, crime, and urban decay problems in our largest cities. Plus, there are still pockets around the world that are big issues.

Old 30 May 2023, 10:22 AM   #336
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
Least likely to “pay their fair share”. That’s an interesting statement. How you define fair share is the key here. Aside from payroll taxes, which for the most part are just forced retirement and disability insurance, the bottom 50% pays zero income tax towards the general budget in the US. “Fair” is very relative.

And if income taxes were the only taxes people paid you’d be correct. And you’d also be correct if all earnings were classified as income.

But honestly I apologize for my part in this discussionn on a watch forum. I’m backing out.
Old 30 May 2023, 10:33 AM   #337
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And if income taxes were the only taxes people paid you’d be correct. And you’d also be correct if all earnings were classified as income.

But honestly I apologize for my part in this discussionn on a watch forum. I’m backing out.

Umm, I literally said “aside from payroll taxes”, which acknowledges that there’s more than just income tax. Yes, there’s also sales tax and other consumption taxes, too (gas taxes, etc.). My point was just that the definition of “fair share” is pretty nebulous. Sorry, I just hate that term.

Old 30 May 2023, 10:42 AM   #338
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
Umm, I literally said “aside from payroll taxes”, which acknowledges that there’s more than just income tax. Yes, there’s also sales tax and other consumption taxes, too (gas taxes, etc.). My point was just that the definition of “fair share” is pretty nebulous. Sorry, I just hate that term.

That’s why I put the term in quotes in my post…
Old 30 May 2023, 11:05 AM   #339
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

Maybe you should flame the junior varsity watch dealers that buy all of their watches in an LLC and have a “jewelry business”
Old 30 May 2023, 11:19 AM   #340
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Worked at an AD in Cincinnati

deleted
Old 30 May 2023, 02:25 PM   #341
phonefool
"TRF" Member

All this controversy about taxes. Wait until you all find out how many wealthy people write off the watch purchase as a business expense / inventory.

Lol
Closed Thread