The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2023, 03:28 AM   #31
bogardon
"TRF" Member

The general hostility towards youtubers is always amusing on watch forums.
bogardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:36 AM   #32
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Really and really? Like nobody has used Rolex as a design template and Wilsdorf himself created Tudor as a completely separate brand.
Yes, really. I said entitled. To differentiate from homage, e.g. Steinhart etc. And really, Tudor equals Rolex to some.
Old 30 May 2023, 03:38 AM   #33
TVC15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Yes, really. I said entitled. To differentiate from homage, e.g. Steinhart etc. And really, Tudor equals Rolex to some.
Frankly, you’re just inventing stuff out of thin air. But I get it, you like Tudor.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:47 AM   #34
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Frankly, you’re just inventing stuff out of thin air. But I get it, you like Tudor.
If you say so, then who am I to argue? And yes, I like Tudor.
Old 30 May 2023, 03:50 AM   #35
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Tudor quality control sucks

I had issues w brand new watches

Bb58 blue and pelagos 39

Pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:57 AM   #36
DeltaRol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
Fu
DeltaRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:57 AM   #37
ACE 94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Adrian Bark..one of the fakers on the internet/YT and makes content to lure people in so he can get paid from YT and sell his own crap. Hes one of those that will drop a Rolex and break a movement so he can do a video on "OMG..my brand new Rollie is running slow ..quality control is slipping!" and half his kool-aid drinking subscribers will send him best wishes and tell him to buy a AP.

Actually, fuck all Youtubers in general. And Tudor is still a poor mans Rolex sharing the same dna......and still not in the top 10 Swiss brands in general. Most of my local ADs here in California use Tudor as a "stepping stone" before moving up to a Rolex.

Lol I bet you’re a blast to hang out with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ACE 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:03 AM   #38
DeltaRol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
Ok
DeltaRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:14 AM   #39
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOP View Post
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm?

He’s a bit pretentious, especially with the other 2 dudes he does a show with.

When he’s by himself he seems ok. But his attitude on some of the comment on YT makes me feel like he’s a little 2nd generation rich boy pretending to be the opposite.

But that Britney girl is probably worse. He reminds me of a teacher making TikToks with her students and acting much younger than she is. She changed her style along with her name in the past year but honestly all of these watch YTers are terrible, probably sans IDGuy and the new guy doing a “Week on the wrist” for Hodinkee.
I decided to hit play after your message and the first thing is a close up of him drinking hotel coffee… hopefully there are some shots of the factory in this lol.

Now it’s him going on about how Tudor is decent “for its price point”. Always has to score his ‘prestige’ points. I like a watch if it does what it sets out to do well, not whether it ticks some kind of gimped pride curve. I like Seiko 5s and I like Pateks.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:41 AM   #40
Scholar
"TRF" Member

The video gets better when it’s actual footage of Tudor but on the whole pretty strange. The Hodinkee article by James Stacey on the Tudor factory showed and explained much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogardon View Post
The general hostility towards youtubers is always amusing on watch forums.
I missed this when I was replying earlier, but it's not limited to just watches.

Forum cultures cultivate people learning about and gaining context for the topic.

Influencers, whether on YouTube or Instagram, take a very different approach. Yeah, maybe they're the smart ones because they're getting paid for it and we aren't, but on any given topic, the average forum weirdos knows more than the biggest #influencer. Nowadays we even have sponsored content mills posing as online magazines, like Stitchdown in which influencers write 'reviews' of boots and clothes sold by the stores that fund it.

Last edited by Scholar; 30 May 2023 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Combined replies.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 02:29 PM   #41
Clon3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I clicked but when I saw it was that Bark guy I closed out.
same
Clon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 02:33 PM   #42
Clon3
"TRF" Member

Oh god, another Tudor video. How many Tudor videos do we need? They make great watches, but I'm just so done with the Tudor hype train by every YouTuber.
Clon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:25 PM   #43
Subzy
"TRF" Member

I watched the video and I quite enjoyed it, not normally a big fan of watch YTers. I work in tech R&D and have been involved in automation projects, so i really appreciated seeing that in the Tudor factory, the are quite state of the art.

Adrian Barker, and a lot of YTers in general, they are cheap marketing for the watch brands.

Barker has done a few videos of "exclusive" content on Tudor releases, I seem to recall him going to their London HQ for some releases. Tudor know they can feed him some little bits of info, feed his ego and he'll put a lot of free work in to help market their product. Hence we see a factory tour video.

Will be interesting to see other YTers release their videos on the Tudor factory.
Subzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:33 PM   #44
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Haha, well they are both annoying. Only person I find enjoyable to watch on YT is urban gentry guy.. pretty solid reviews and informative.
I like, in no particular order:

Urban Gentry
Federico Talks Watches
Watch Eric
the king: Tim @ Watchbox. If you ever want a technical review from a guy who knows his stuff, he's your first and last stop. Search any watch by its reference number and he's usually the very first result
Old 30 May 2023, 09:31 PM   #45
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Always a poor man's Rolex homage with outsourced components of inferior quality, sloppily put together

Thanks for sharing, OP!
I don’t know that much about Tudor, but didn’t they stop using ETA movements a couple years ago? They are now all in-house produced movements?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:46 PM   #46
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I don’t know that much about Tudor, but didn’t they stop using ETA movements a couple years ago? They are now all in-house produced movements?
Just being sarcastic, Paul. They're still using ETAs on some of their models, of course. But this doesn't make them any worse. In fact many prefer the ETA older versions over the newer in-house. I don't mind either one.
Old 30 May 2023, 09:52 PM   #47
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clon3 View Post
Oh god, another Tudor video. How many Tudor videos do we need? They make great watches, but I'm just so done with the Tudor hype train by every YouTuber.
Easy solution: don’t watch them then
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 11:17 PM   #48
monsieur_z
2024 Pledge Member

Pretty harsh comments about those poor YouTubers :/

I don't have anything against Adrian, The Urban Gentry, and not even against Paul Thorpe (surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet).

On YouTube, you get different opinions, different production quality... This is what makes YouTube interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
monsieur_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:35 AM   #49
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I really wonder if the degree of automation in the movement assembly is one of the reasons Tudor seemed to have such a difficult time addressing the date issues that would plagued the Black Bay GMT for as long as it did.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:51 AM   #50
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I really wonder if the degree of automation in the movement assembly is one of the reasons Tudor seemed to have such a difficult time addressing the date issues that would plagued the Black Bay GMT for as long as it did.

Intriguing question; this leads to another: if the movements are made by Kenissi, did other watch brands that used the same movement have the same sticky date issue…
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:17 AM   #51
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Good question! I do understand from someone who is pretty connected to the industry that the reason behind the lack of availability of the Black Bay Chrono was an issue they had with QC of the movement. They seem to have sorted that out, as they are now extremely easy to find in dealer cases. I believe some of the Breitling chronos share that movement.

It seems the more automated manufacturing gets, the less capable it seems to be able to deal with problems that come up. The date issue on the GMT literally continued for years, and after watching that video I think I understand why. The system is so regimented that even knowing that it's a problem it probably makes more financial sense to just fix them all under warranty later. Of course that doesn't take into account the damage done to the brand equity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Londonist View Post
Intriguing question; this leads to another: if the movements are made by Kenissi, did other watch brands that used the same movement have the same sticky date issue…
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 06:54 PM   #52
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Just being sarcastic, Paul. They're still using ETAs on some of their models, of course. But this doesn't make them any worse. In fact many prefer the ETA older versions over the newer in-house. I don't mind either one.
I think all the non in-house Tudor movements are now Sellita, even in the Asia-market Prince line. But yeah, I have two Tudor/ETA 2824 movements still going strong and true (COSC specs) after a decade with no service, and I would still choose them over Tudor in-house if it was an option, even at the same price. (I'd even take them over a Rolex 32xx but that's another story).