The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 December 2022, 04:39 AM   #1
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

18k root beer GMT Master details?

Looking to see if the 18k solid gold jubilee root beer GMT Master from my dad have all original watch head parts. He doesn't have the papers anymore and was wearing it pretty much everyday until he suffered a stroke 3 years ago. He's since bequeathed the piece to me but I can't tell the exact model since I can't find anything online that looks exactly like it, so I'm wondering if the parts, such as the dial, were changed. He actually switched to a white dial because he said it's easier to see the hands, but I said the root beer dial looked much better so he switched it back. The triangle-tipped hand was damaged when the the sapphire crystal cracked when the piece was accidentally dropped. The insert is pretty scratched up due to daily use, so also considering looking for replacement parts, if available. TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221229_022249.jpg (108.3 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg 20221229_012156.jpg (110.1 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg 20221229_005807 (1).jpg (71.7 KB, 548 views)
pdagregado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 06:12 AM   #2
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Cool watch! If you remove the bracelet with a paperclip or a tooth pick you can see the serial number at 6:00 and the model number at 12:00, or vice versa. Looks like at least a later model 16758, although the insert does look a bit odd. Like it's been shaved around the outer edge or something. Beautiful hidden clasp jubilee bracelet. Dial lettering looks odd too as the letters are so close together they are touching. Perhaps repainted? Slight damage on edge of dial between 7:00 and 8:00. Wait for the experts to chime in of which I am not.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 02:10 AM   #3
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
I am not an expert so don’t t quote me. The dial isn’t like one Ive seen before, definitely questionable for sure as TL alluded to. Photos of in between the lugs will tell you what model you have. Not sure either. Maybe if you can get the case back open so we can see some pics of the movement and on the backside of the case. The watch looks suspect to me. Could be me, just my option. If it turns out everything is legit, it’s a beautiful watch to own. Sorry about your dad.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 03:23 AM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Think it's a repainted dial as the esteemed Time Lord suggests - the ROLEX with a 'kissing L' ( L and E Touching) I've only seen on a 60s Explorer Dial Submariner. Off centre T25 hyphen '-' too.

Could you kindly put a photo of the engravings on the clasp please and yes the engravings between lugs be useful to see too if you can get the bracelet off. Easy job with a back of an earring or paperclip or proper tool.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 04:12 AM   #5
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Think it's a repainted dial as the esteemed Time Lord suggests - the ROLEX with a 'kissing L' ( L and E Touching) I've only seen on a 60s Explorer Dial Submariner. Off centre T25 hyphen '-' too.

Could you kindly put a photo of the engravings on the clasp please and yes the engravings between lugs be useful to see too if you can get the bracelet off. Easy job with a back of an earring or paperclip or proper tool.

Redone dial
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 08:37 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Is it just me, or was that dial perhaps originally from a steel watch, as the hour markers look like WG, not YG? Or is it just the lighting? When I look for images of the 16758, most also show the nipple dial.

Also learned something new today - never knew that the 18k Jubilee 167xx had a hidden clasp bracelet!
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 01:55 PM   #7
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
I think the watch has seen much better days but it is at least all there and intact for now.
The bracelet is so badly worn and stretched that I would be very carful wearing the watch out of concern it may fall off the wrist.
Maybe the dial was repainted as part of the repair when the crystal got broken, but it can be replaced with an original period correct dial.
I think the bezel insert looks fine even though it is scratched up.
It looks like a well worn 16758 and you could use any one of the original factory 16758 dials for it if you plan to bring it back to its glory.
Cool watch to have the bracelet overhauled and the dial replaced and a complete movement and hand service done to.
I really like this 2nd photo of it for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 286C3222-8E45-4CB6-BB95-F5A545E57D59.jpeg (116.2 KB, 440 views)
Old 30 December 2022, 02:35 PM   #8
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Could the insert be from an earlier 1675/8 ?
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 01:50 AM   #9
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
I would send this one to Rolex and get the dial+ hands replaced and have the watch polished. I would remove the insert before sending and have them replace that as well.

Great watch just needs to be serviced.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 11:40 AM   #10
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I am not an expert so don’t t quote me. The dial isn’t like one Ive seen before, definitely questionable for sure as TL alluded to. Photos of in between the lugs will tell you what model you have. Not sure either. Maybe if you can get the case back open so we can see some pics of the movement and on the backside of the case. The watch looks suspect to me. Could be me, just my option. If it turns out everything is legit, it’s a beautiful watch to own. Sorry about your dad.
I agree. The printing on the dial looks off.
Old 31 December 2022, 10:48 PM   #11
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
That’s a cool watch. I love all gold Rootbeers.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 12:40 AM   #12
BigBlue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
That’s a cool watch. I love all gold Rootbeers.
I agree

RIP Mikey
Old 1 January 2023, 01:22 AM   #13
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I agree

Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 01:32 AM   #14
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Will definitely have it checked out by the official Rolex store.
Old 6 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #15
BigBlue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdagregado View Post
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Will definitely have it checked out by the official Rolex store.
I can’t wait to hear the good news

RIP Mikey
Old 27 May 2023, 02:09 AM   #16
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Updating my original post to include more photos of the case and insides.

Haven't been able to make time to bring the piece to RSC since we moved much away from the city but, as others have mentioned, the dial has indeed been repainted or, sadly, replaced without my dad realizing it.

I'm torn between leaving the watch as is (since that's how my dad wore it up until his stroke) and replacing the dial for the correct one, plus replacing the hands. Anyone selling the correct dial and hands for a reasonable price or can point me in the right direction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SN.jpg (241.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 16758.jpg (252.8 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 3075.jpg (185.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 16750.jpg (286.0 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg bracelet.jpg (129.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 27 May 2023, 03:16 AM   #17
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I like the bones of the watch as it is basically all there.
I highly recommend getting rid of the stainless steel pins that are attaching the bracelet to the watch head.
They should be 18k for a solid 18k watch.
A replacement authentic dial can be found in many locations but please share photos here of any potential dial purchases so the group can help keep you from buying the wrong dial.
And the bracelet really should be overhauled or at least removed for now and replaced with a leather/cloth strap for wearability.
Good luck!
Old 27 May 2023, 04:43 AM   #18
BigBlue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
I highly recommend getting rid of the stainless steel pins that are attaching the bracelet to the watch head.
A replacement authentic dial can be found in many locations but please share photos here of any potential dial purchases so the group can help keep you from buying the wrong dial.
And the bracelet really should be overhauled or at least removed for now and replaced with a leather/cloth strap for wearability.
Good luck!
This

RIP Mikey
Old 27 May 2023, 05:36 AM   #19
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
The correct dial and hands for your watch will easily cost $3000 usd. You can probably find a black nipple dial cheaper but that changes the look of the watch completely. Even if you find a dial and hands you will likely still have to service the watch.

I would just send it to Rolex for a service and have them swap the dial and hands for genuine service parts.
If you have to have a nipple dial I would plan on spending 4K by the time you have the watch serviced and source the correct parts. Rolex will probably be less than half that amount. They will of course give you an estimate before they do any of the work.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 12:17 AM   #20
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d keep the dial because I would want it to be the same as my dad used.

Fix the bracelet and springbars, throw in a service at an independent and wear it with pride
Old 30 May 2023, 03:33 PM   #21
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good luck!
This is the one I'm considering to buy. Haven't been able to find anyone else who is selling just the dial.
Attached Images
File Type: png 16758.png (93.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 30 May 2023, 09:51 PM   #22
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is the one I'm considering to buy. Haven't been able to find anyone else who is selling just the dial.
The photo you provided is not really clear enough, but it is the correct dial to fit your watch movement.
I can see the dial where it’s being sold and would like for others who are great at spotting touched up dials to chime in.
Do you have an issue with providing the sales link or someone else providing it?
Old 30 May 2023, 09:59 PM   #23
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Suggest you get a really good quality photo of this dial and then compare it all with all the brown dials - no substitute for forensically checking all the fonts, spacings (especially), coronets, footers etc : below includes 1675/8 16758

https://gmtmaster1675.com/brown-dials/
Old 31 May 2023, 01:35 AM   #24
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Suggest you get a really good quality photo of this dial and then compare it all with all the brown dials - no substitute for forensically checking all the fonts, spacings (especially), coronets, footers etc : below includes 1675/8 16758
Thanks for this reference, TuRo. Checked the seller's photos but couldn't quite match it up according to my watch's SN 70xxx. Based on the descriptions, I believe the correct dial for the 16758 should have the painted vs. the applied crown. Would appreciate your input on this one I'm planning to purchase. TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (235.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg side 1.jpg (228.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg side 2.jpg (231.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg upsidedown.jpg (227.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (231.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 31 May 2023, 02:02 AM   #25
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Ah yes that article doesn't have the painted coronets of the 16758 you are correct.
I'm not an expert on these.

There might be a few dial types.

The ones I have seen most have a line above and under the I in SWISS like this :

https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com/...aster-16758-3/

Though there is one on C24 that is similar to it (though it does have a tiny line under the I whereas yours does not at all) :

Rolex GMT-Master
£32,958
https://chrono24.app/rolex/rolex-gmt...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Other proper brown 758 nipple experts might confirm it is ok/or not hopefully.
Old 31 May 2023, 02:43 AM   #26
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah yes that article doesn't have the painted coronets of the 16758 you are correct.
I'm not an expert on these.

There might be a few dial types.

The ones I have seen most have a line above and under the I in SWISS like this :

Though there is one on C24 that is similar to it though:

Rolex GMT-Master
£32,958

Other proper brown 758 nipple experts might confirm it is ok/or not hopefully.
Thanks, I did notice that as well. I did see a couple of painted crowns without the line under the I, but they're in pretty rough condition.

Yes, hope the other 758 nipple experts chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patina.jpg (163.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg patina 2.jpg (235.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 31 May 2023, 03:13 AM   #27
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Yes, as you (and TuRo) pointed out it should have the painted, not applied cornet like your example. It does not appear to be repainted to me, although the surface, in general, does seem a little spotty. Could be the angle, resolution, IDK. I will also note, it is quite common to have some darkening of the lume plots. There are also Luminova service dial (SWISS) (https://www.ebay.com/itm/293966358868) versions of this dial that could also be used but Tritium is appropriate for this watch. The Soleil dials are also prone to paint defects with some sellers calling them Lava or Magma dials, the effect usually starts around the applied indices. I think it's more like damage as it's a continuous processes that , far as I know, cannot be stopped. like such https://www.ebay.com/itm/155001590607. There is also an almost gilt dial with lacquer coating that doesn't have the same Soleil effect but is still a color changing dial but more subtle. Here is an interesting link for you http://www.vrfm.io/gold-gmt-masters. That's all I got…
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 02:28 AM   #28
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Is it just me, or was that dial perhaps originally from a steel watch, as the hour markers look like WG, not YG? Or is it just the lighting? When I look for images of the 16758, most also show the nipple dial.

Also learned something new today - never knew that the 18k Jubilee 167xx had a hidden clasp bracelet!
Thanks, yes, should be a nipple dial!
Old 1 June 2023, 02:36 AM   #29
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

What a great reference, thanks so much for that, TimeLord!

Last edited by pdagregado; 1 June 2023 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: didn't include name of person I was replying to.
Old 1 June 2023, 02:40 AM   #30
pdagregado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The photo you provided is not really clear enough, but it is the correct dial to fit your watch movement.
I can see the dial where it’s being sold and would like for others who are great at spotting touched up dials to chime in.
Do you have an issue with providing the sales link or someone else providing it?
No issue providing the sales link except that I had to have 10 posts before being able to include a URL haha. In the meantime, I replied with the photos the seller provided.

Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19534550993....c100667.m2042