The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 December 2022, 03:06 AM   #61
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

I’m in the exact same boat as many here. I have a fairly extensive AP collection. And yet haven’t been offered a single piece from the Bal Harbour (my primary boutique) since my SA left in 2020. Visits, texting new SAs, total indifference to my purchase history. Pretty hard to want to wear the watches when the experience leaves such a bad taste in your mouth. I too will be selling most if not all pieces. Hard to be passionate about the brand when the brand isn’t passionate about its clientele.

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 04:22 AM   #62
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahoess View Post
I’m in the exact same boat as many here. I have a fairly extensive AP collection. And yet haven’t been offered a single piece from the Bal Harbour (my primary boutique) since my SA left in 2020. Visits, texting new SAs, total indifference to my purchase history. Pretty hard to want to wear the watches when the experience leaves such a bad taste in your mouth. I too will be selling most if not all pieces. Hard to be passionate about the brand when the brand isn’t passionate about its clientele.

B
Didn't you buy the CODE QP a few months ago?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 04:30 AM   #63
afakevc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I have a few APs 2 offshore 4 Royal Oaks and 1 code. I was on the hunt for more but with the crazyness of the past 24 month I haven't gotten a call or been offered a single piece. To be honest I was a bit upset at first I been a AP customer for more then 15 years and only worked with boutiques. I felt like they cast me aside at first. However after the first painful 10 to 12 month the urge to buy has reduced and now 24 month in I feel like my urge is gone completely for AP. I been buying GS, omega and some Rolex. My SA from AP called and texted me the other day and wanted to chat, I didn't feel tempted to make a purchase or even talk about what's on my "wish list" I'm officially out of the AP gang. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the same experiences the past 24 month or so.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Yup, I waited 12-15 months for a royal oak and wasn't offered anything. Bought a code 1159 chronograph, 4 weeks later I was offered an RO although not the one I had requested. I bought it. I bought additional RO cufflinks. 18 months later I'm still waiting on the piece I inquired on from 3 years ago.

AP hasn't really been a great experience for me. When I visit the AP house in NYC last month, I expressed my concerns and the SA I wss working with told me I should be "thankful that I was even sold a code and royal oak last year".

Quite silly.
afakevc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 07:42 AM   #64
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same boat! I’m done with AP. I have an offshore and a royal oak someone can have at list if they like. I’m in London and I’ve communicated this to the boutique
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 07:55 AM   #65
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
I’m in the same boat! I’m done with AP. I have an offshore and a royal oak someone can have at list if they like. I’m in London and I’ve communicated this to the boutique
id gladly take them both off your hands
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 08:11 AM   #66
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sent you a message
Old 26 December 2022, 08:16 AM   #67
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But why are you all needing to get rid of your existing pieces??
Presumably you bought them out of appreciation for the pieces themselves, so you can continue to enjoy the ones you have.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 08:21 AM   #68
BrunoMalik
Banned

I have the exacts same feelings, but towards Rolex. I wont sell my Rolexes because they have sentimental value, but the brand is dead to me moving forward.

On the other hand, AP has treated me the best and has been the most fair during the past 3 years. I guess is location dependent when it comes to AP. But Rolex has consistently bad service anywhere in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 08:51 AM   #69
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Presumably you bought them out of appreciation for the pieces themselves, so you can continue to enjoy the ones you have.

For me it was the same had a ROO and RO Chrono and sold them and moved on… watches are great but moved the money into other stuff since I was not getting anywhere with the brand but it’s cool Patek Geneva salon treated me like I’m Royalty vs AP but I guess it’s highly dependent on SA and location - would still buy a jumbo or 15500 blue dial as an only AP watch just because they are great watches - probably will go grey at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 11:21 AM   #70
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
id gladly take them both off your hands
PM me
Old 26 December 2022, 11:22 AM   #71
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sent you a message
Replied
Old 26 December 2022, 11:23 AM   #72
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Armis, I think everyone has different experiences with different brands. When all but one treat you like a king then any self respecting person will drop the other one. I would totally understand if you said that you had an amazing experience with them. Many have. It’s just based on my personal experiences.
Old 26 December 2022, 11:26 AM   #73
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone has agreed to the Royal Oak so just the offshore left
Old 26 December 2022, 11:53 AM   #74
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sent you a message
Your inbox is full…
Old 26 December 2022, 12:13 PM   #75
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your inbox is full…
Thanks for the heads up! Just did some clean up and responded.
Old 26 December 2022, 12:19 PM   #76
Afficionado
"TRF" Member

Quote:

B
I agree with you regarding the Bal Harbor store. I have since moved on from AP. It’s feels like they’re doing a favor by entertaining your request for watches that cost $$$. AP has taken an arrogant approach that has truly turned off tire connoisseurs. The dismissive tone at the Bal Harbor boutique in a tone deaf. I’m curious to see when the table turns, the watch market for AP’s cool and the prices drop below MSRP. The last several years has been a true anomaly in the market. When athletes, rappers, bitcoin investors and IG influencers move on to another brand, we may go back to the days when AP watches sat on the display cases and had to be discounted. With the collapse of bitcoin inflated prices and an anticipated downturn in the market in 2023, we may revert back to a buyers market. That may be welcome news, sans the pain the declining market may have on regular folks.
Afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 12:25 PM   #77
Afficionado
"TRF" Member

Quote:

B
I agree with you regarding the Bal Harbor store. I have since moved on from AP. They make us feel at times like they’re doing us a favor by entertaining our request for watches that cost $$$. AP has taken an arrogant approach that has truly turned off true connoisseurs. The dismissive tone at the Bal Harbor boutique appears to be tone deaf. I’m curious to see when the table turns, the watch market for AP’s cool and the prices drop below MSRP. The last several years has been a true anomaly in the market. When athletes, rappers, bitcoin investors and IG influencers move on to another brand, we may go back to the days when AP watches sat on the display cases and had to be discounted. With the collapse of bitcoin inflated prices and an anticipated downturn in the market in 2023, we may revert back to a buyers market. That may be welcome news, sans the pain the declining market may have on regular folks.
Afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 12:49 PM   #78
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Really interesting threads and such thoughtful stories shared. Quite a stand out for TRF.

If the brand does implode upon transition of CEO/economic cycle/etc, startrolexendrolex and BenLee might just be the match that caused it!

I don't know if I'm ready to be as bold as @benlee with the zero AP approach, but I sincerely empathize with his post. By the time I started following sales guidance of 'you need diversity in your collection', i.e. Codes, Ladies, ROO's, etc, I initially was annoyed that I was only getting my second or third pick in color combinations for even these pieces. But as the journey went further I got more and more disenchanted because my collection had gone from carefully curated with everything being the pieces I wanted the most to a ragtag crew of 3rd or 4th choices watches with the one I really wanted never materializing -- and I wasn't even gunning for unobtanium ceramic QP.

I really empathized with the statement that seeing the watches just stirred up negative feelings because that's how I'm starting to feel when I open the safe.

So on the one hand I want to drop the brand, but then on the other with how far the secondary market has falling, things are interesting. I mean RG Code QP...kinda gets interesting if one could buy for 55-60k if I'm confessing.

Finally, I think all the rumors (some more substantiated than others but all makes sense in a capitalist system) of boutiques selling watches for kickbacks has me leaning towards joining the closing chapter crowd.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 01:06 PM   #79
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post

So on the one hand I want to drop the brand, but then on the other with how far the secondary market has falling, things are interesting. I mean RG Code QP...kinda gets interesting if one could buy for 55-60k if I'm confessing.
Prices aren't too far off my friend, 26394OR on EWC for 66k, I bet they would take closer to $60k, could have sworn I saw one at moda for ~$55k. Almost $40k below retail now, subjectively I prefer the new WG/BC iteration.

In regards to AP, the more I read the more I believe it is based on your SA relationship. AP has gone above and beyond for me on numerous occasions, I have had nothing but a wonderful experience over the years and appreciate the thoughtful gestures they send throughout the year.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 01:08 PM   #80
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Didn't you buy the CODE QP a few months ago?
Indeed, but from a boutique internationally that I had a long-standing relationship with. A few months later they told me because I don’t live there they can no longer sell to me. Yet another gem of a relationship decision that AP made. Unreal.

B
Old 26 December 2022, 01:14 PM   #81
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afficionado View Post
I agree with you regarding the Bal Harbor store. I have since moved on from AP. They make us feel at times like they’re doing us a favor by entertaining our request for watches that cost $$$. AP has taken an arrogant approach that has truly turned off true connoisseurs. The dismissive tone at the Bal Harbor boutique appears to be tone deaf. I’m curious to see when the table turns, the watch market for AP’s cool and the prices drop below MSRP. The last several years has been a true anomaly in the market. When athletes, rappers, bitcoin investors and IG influencers move on to another brand, we may go back to the days when AP watches sat on the display cases and had to be discounted. With the collapse of bitcoin inflated prices and an anticipated downturn in the market in 2023, we may revert back to a buyers market. That may be welcome news, sans the pain the declining market may have on regular folks.
Way back when when Francina ran that boutique, they were amongst, if not the best boutique in the country, in my opinion. But since she left the boutique for corporate, they went massively down hill. Unfortunately whoever is running that boutique just doesn’t seem to care about existing client lists. Who knows, maybe they’re getting greased under the table. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard such stories within the industry.

B
Old 26 December 2022, 01:36 PM   #82
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Armis, I think everyone has different experiences with different brands. When all but one treat you like a king then any self respecting person will drop the other one. I would totally understand if you said that you had an amazing experience with them. Many have. It’s just based on my personal experiences.
For sure I understand, and if I’m honest with myself then I can indeed appreciate feeling so turned off by a brand experience that I would wash my hands (or wrist in this case) of them, including pieces I may have that are bad reminders. There’s even such a brand now, but I’m trying to reserve judgement to see how everything settles post Covid. Nevertheless, in the case of AP or any brand, I really don’t like the sharp differences in how people are treated based on location and/or SA. Even if I’m treated decently, I realize that I could just as easily have had an alternative experience, which is unsettling when thinking about a big luxury brand that should take special care to deliver a consistently great experience across the board. I mean we are talking about more than a franchise restaurant here. As such, I am sorry that you and others have gotten to this point, but I do understand better now.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 01:39 PM   #83
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
In regards to AP, the more I read the more I believe it is based on your SA relationship. AP has gone above and beyond for me on numerous occasions, I have had nothing but a wonderful experience over the years and appreciate the thoughtful gestures they send throughout the year.
Like you, my interactions with my "home" boutique have been consistently excellent, and it indeed seems to depend to a large degree on the relation with the SA or other AP contact.

I must confess that anytime there is a delay in an email or text response (which often come far outside of normal working hours), I start to worry about losing that particular relationship and being left out in the cold like others here.

It would be easy for AP to implement an SA-independent client ranking based on time- and model-weighted actual spend and predictions. Trouble is that people like me would be toast in such a system, compared to actual big spenders, as long as demand at MSRP outstrips supply. So I'm left hoping our contact sticks around, and AP doesn't do anything rash.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 04:45 PM   #84
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Really interesting threads and such thoughtful stories shared. Quite a stand out for TRF.

If the brand does implode upon transition of CEO/economic cycle/etc, startrolexendrolex and BenLee might just be the match that caused it!

LOL... You vastly over-estimated my "influence" my friend. I'm just a humble watch collector who used to love AP until recently. Although good to hear.

I do think indeed AP might be landing themselves in some kind of hot soup in the short term. With declining resale potential, that will weed out the buyers that are buying just for flipping or speculation purposes. They will then have to fall back on collectors market, many of us have been utterly turned off by their behaviour to us. But that said, I doubt they will implode, or get into any prolong decline. They are still a very strong brand. But it's all speculation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Indeed you have a point. And good sales staff is hard to come by, a problem face by many companies in this "great resignation" and high staff turnover, but still, AP management is at fault here if they don't ensure some consistent standard in how their sales rep manage and treat their customer base irregardless of individual sales rep.
Old 26 December 2022, 06:22 PM   #85
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Like you, my interactions with my "home" boutique have been consistently excellent, and it indeed seems to depend to a large degree on the relation with the SA or other AP contact.

I must confess that anytime there is a delay in an email or text response (which often come far outside of normal working hours), I start to worry about losing that particular relationship and being left out in the cold like others here.

It would be easy for AP to implement an SA-independent client ranking based on time- and model-weighted actual spend and predictions. Trouble is that people like me would be toast in such a system, compared to actual big spenders, as long as demand at MSRP outstrips supply. So I'm left hoping our contact sticks around, and AP doesn't do anything rash.

I agree 100% here. My BT has been wonderful to me and I can't complain. In all fairness, a client ranking system independent of SA relationship would be best for a luxury brand like this. Like you, this would put me in a category where I wouldn't be able to get allocations I want though. Like @7sins stated, having that strong SA relationship seems to make all the difference.

I totally understand the frustrations many have expressed here as I have gone through it with another brand myself. I have been trying to break into the Patek world for several years and have experienced those same frustrations. After trying many AD's, I finally ended up with an AD through an intro from a friend who is willing to work with me. Hopefully this downturn will bring things back to some normalcy where us collectors can go back to collecting.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 07:41 PM   #86
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For sure I understand, and if I’m honest with myself then I can indeed appreciate feeling so turned off by a brand experience that I would wash my hands (or wrist in this case) of them, including pieces I may have that are bad reminders. There’s even such a brand now, but I’m trying to reserve judgement to see how everything settles post Covid. Nevertheless, in the case of AP or any brand, I really don’t like the sharp differences in how people are treated based on location and/or SA. Even if I’m treated decently, I realize that I could just as easily have had an alternative experience, which is unsettling when thinking about a big luxury brand that should take special care to deliver a consistently great experience across the board. I mean we are talking about more than a franchise restaurant here. As such, I am sorry that you and others have gotten to this point, but I do understand better now.
Old 26 December 2022, 08:29 PM   #87
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Still waiting with hope
Might get the call when RO become close to rrp LOL
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 09:01 PM   #88
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

B
It's mindblowing that you actually wrote this. Read your post again in 5 years and if you don't feel ashamed I don't know what will.

You own multiple APs already and because they won't sell you another one you are put off and want to sell all your APs. That's ridiculous.

You only got 1 wrist. What happens when you own every AP out there, are you then complete and fulfilled? How many RO/ROOs/...or other models do you need?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 09:10 PM   #89
S``
"TRF" Member

I had zero chance once AP went boutique only, and needing to fit profiles and decide what I should be collecting... Don't have that kind of ammo to compete with the 1% of the 1%
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 09:32 PM   #90
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
It's mindblowing that you actually wrote this. Read your post again in 5 years and if you don't feel ashamed I don't know what will.

You own multiple APs already and because they won't sell you another one you are put off and want to sell all your APs. That's ridiculous.

You only got 1 wrist. What happens when you own every AP out there, are you then complete and fulfilled? How many RO/ROOs/...or other models do you need?
Apparently, owning and collecting wrist watches has become all about how you're treated by the brand, your status with the employees of that brand and whether or not you get gaslighted and ghosted regarding your next purchase.
The joy of ownership is defeated by the pain of denial in the "what's next?" world of accumulation.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote