The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2023, 12:52 AM   #61
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thanks Brian have two hobby passions one the history of Rolex and the RWC company the other is Bonsai. If I had to choose overall it would be Bonsai, when I look at my trees and think about the time to train and look after them for well over 50 years..And to think hopefully when I pass my grandsons will look after them, and possibly pass then on to there children. What other hobby could give anyone more pleasure than the art of keeping Bonsai, hopefully to pass on for many future generations to come.

Very tiny Bonsai.

So well said

I think for me, the really amazing thing is that you will be passing on an actual living thing ... They will out live you and I and them, if taken care of properly.

What other kinds of things like this exist?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 02:38 AM   #62
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Have to agree the longest living things on the planet are trees and in many ways the lungs of this delicate world we all live in.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 09:37 AM   #63
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Subscribed to this thread.
Old 11 January 2023, 02:40 PM   #64
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Joshua Tree.jpg .... Reminds me of a miniature Joshua Tree
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 04:00 PM   #65
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Well when we repot the tree is wired securely in the pot the pots have large drainage holes and smaller ones for the special wire we use to secure tree in pot. Regarding the roots they are spread like a round fan like fashion as we add the new soil around the roots. With deciduous mature trees we re-pot every 2-3 years and trim around a third of the roots and over the 3 years the pot is full of roots if tree is healthy. With evergreens like Pines re-pot every 5-7 years again trim the roots wire into pot place new soil and water well. Most of the Pines like to be a little what we call pot bound, pot is full of roots. While the deciduous they are not so happy and could die if not looked after by re-potting.You could take a young tree from the wild with the land owners permission. Then plant in your own garden for a few years, but put say a slate in bottom of the plant hole to keep tree roots horizontal. Having a good root system is the most important thing in keeping Bonsai alive in there pots
Ahh, makes more sense now, thank you. They just scream history and resilience.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 06:33 PM   #66
JSingh22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
Seen some of the best trees I’ve ever seen in my life just in one thread.
JSingh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 06:46 PM   #67
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSingh22 View Post
Seen some of the best trees I’ve ever seen in my life just in one thread.
Thank you its a great hobby a few more.

Japanese White Pine after a bit of re-wiring lower branches and styling tree over 80 years old.

Scots Pine these are much easier to keep than the Japanese white pines.

Ilex Crenata common name Japanese Holly Bonsai around 30 years old,needs frost protection in Winter.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 January 2023, 09:59 PM   #68
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Cork Bark Oak and Chinese Juniper both around 40 years old now.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 January 2023, 11:12 PM   #69
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I love this thread. I’ve admired the bonsai hobby for decades and gave it an unsuccessful try 20 years ago. But northern Minnesota climate extremes limit what can be attempted.

Peter, do you water on a schedule? A prescribed amount? I’d imagine every variety has its own requirements.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 11:29 PM   #70
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I love this thread. I’ve admired the bonsai hobby for decades and gave it an unsuccessful try 20 years ago. But northern Minnesota climate extremes limit what can be attempted.

Peter, do you water on a schedule? A prescribed amount? I’d imagine every variety has its own requirements.
Well in UK summer weather can be hit and miss as the soil we use now is very free draining it's almost impossible to over water But sometimes water a few time a day in hot Sumner day's. With most Pines we keep them slightly drier but like all Bonsai never let them dry our oncompletely .Winter time most of trees stay out doors some will need some frost protection so place in garden shed.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 January 2023, 03:54 AM   #71
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.S View Post
Attachment 1342290 .... Reminds me of a miniature Joshua Tree
Well it's possible to take a small tree from the wild with land owner's permission and over a few years turn into a Bonsai.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 January 2023, 07:01 PM   #72
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Mugo Pine, and Wild olive Olea Europaea Oleaster Olives can live over thousand years.

Pine about 60 years old.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 January 2023, 07:09 PM   #73
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mugo Pine, and Wild olive Olea Europaea Oleaster Olives can live over thousand years.

Pine about 60 years old.

Goodness me. Amazing is an understatement.
Old 12 January 2023, 08:49 PM   #74
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Goodness me. Amazing is an understatement.
Thank you one of my Chameleon's enjoying a bit of summer sun 2022 on one of my Bonsai trees.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 January 2023, 02:01 AM   #75
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Jn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
It’s like how I judge art. “Do you like looking at it” then it is. That is the point in this case…beautiful trees.
Thanks and yes it is a art that could take many years to get the final picture of the tree you have in your mind that you are trying to make, finally in the pot as a Bonsai.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 January 2023, 06:14 PM   #76
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Another of my Panther Chameleons enjoying a bit of natural summer sun on one of my Bonsai.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 January 2023, 04:50 AM   #77
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Chameleons are also not easy to keep. You are very good at both it looks like. Your Bonsais are fantastic in shape and your reptiles look very healthy as well!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 05:16 AM   #78
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Another of my Panther Chameleons enjoying a bit of natural summer sun on one of my Bonsai.

Peter, you’re a man of many talents!! I’d have never guessed you were a bonsai or chameleon owner!!

You’re like a damn onion. Wish I’d been on this forum longer to peal back more layers!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 05:18 AM   #79
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrodectus View Post
Chameleons are also not easy to keep.
And added to the fact that they blend in to their surroundings, you aren't really sure if you kept it or not.

"I'm pretty sure it's out here somewhere".
Old 14 January 2023, 05:23 AM   #80
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:

Much respect on the outlook and the dedication towards keeping both difficult to care for alive and well!
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 05:23 AM   #81
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful bonsai plants here Peter.

We tried it a long time ago and killed a couple. Underwatered or overwatered not sure which.

I see them for sale all the time at craft fairs and booths along the roads.

Working on orchids these days.
Old 14 January 2023, 12:04 PM   #82
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Goodness me, just when i thought it couldn't get better, unbelievable so amazing. So much better then watches!
Old 14 January 2023, 06:26 PM   #83
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
And added to the fact that they blend in to their surroundings, you aren't really sure if you kept it or not.

"I'm pretty sure it's out here somewhere".
First thanks all that have showed interest in this thread, Chameleons change color based mostly on how they feel not so much camouflage, bright displays can be a sign of strength, as weaker males might have duller colors. Speed and brightness of color change can often predict which chameleon will win in a fight the weaker male opponent will often quit before the fight has even begun. When chameleons are feeling submissive or upset, like trying to show that they are not any threat, they often turn a darker colour.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 January 2023, 08:57 PM   #84
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First thanks all that have showed interest in this thread, Chameleons change color based mostly on how they feel not so much camouflage, bright displays can be a sign of strength, as weaker males might have duller colors. Speed and brightness of color change can often predict which chameleon will win in a fight the weaker male opponent will often quit before the fight has even begun. When chameleons are feeling submissive or upset, like trying to show that they are not any threat, they often turn a darker colour.
Do these colour changes ie (bright = confident/strong, dull = vulnerable) apply to females as well?
Old 14 January 2023, 09:46 PM   #85
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Do these colour changes ie (bright = confident/strong, dull = vulnerable) apply to females as well?
Its the males have the most colour females are quite drab mainly colours of brown and yes colours apply on mood.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 January 2023, 09:57 PM   #86
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Hey, c’mon!

Quote:
Goodness me, just when i thought it couldn't get better, unbelievable so amazing. So much better then watches!
You obviously haven’t owned a JLC Reverso. Also changes colors.

Seriously, these bonsais and the chameleon are really stunningly beautiful. Kudos to padi56!
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 12:17 AM   #87
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
These are incredible - thanks for sharing!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 05:33 AM   #88
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Dear Peter:

Thank you for your awesome photos of your bonsai treasures. Really incredible!!

Where would you trim my bonsai (my original post)? It did have some dead leaves with blunted branch ends when I unboxed it, but after watering seems to have improved.

Thanks for your superior posts on this thread.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 06:38 PM   #89
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Dear Peter:

Thank you for your awesome photos of your bonsai treasures. Really incredible!!

Where would you trim my bonsai (my original post)? It did have some dead leaves with blunted branch ends when I unboxed it, but after watering seems to have improved.

Thanks for your superior posts on this thread.

DM
Just let it grow dont be a hurry to trim tree when branches get to long then trim it back to what you want tree to look like.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 17 February 2023, 03:43 AM   #90
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Paidi- The pictures and stories of your Bonsai trees probably makes for the most interesting thread I have ever seen on this forum. Thank you for sharing with us!