The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 May 2023, 11:21 AM   #1
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Durability Rose Gold AP

Okay, so I have my second rose gold AP. I never really wear my CODE that much, so it still looks brand new.

Recently I bought a 15510 OR, and I've been wearing it non stop. Obviously I'm careful when wearing my non Rolex watches. I had a small accident yesterday, it was raining like crazy, and I slipped on an escalator. Thank god, no damage to my watch.

Can folks here on the forum post pics of their rose gold AP's who have had them for several years? Want to see how it looks with scratches...
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 02:59 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

AP's have always been scratch magnets. imo, there's only 3 scenarios. either you wear it like a boss and accept all the small scratches as part of your watches' character, or you stick it with stickers, or you leave it in the safe.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 09:56 AM   #3
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Don Lee is correct wear any watch especially a rose gold RO and it will pick up scratches but these add to the character of the watch and these are designed to be worn. Nothing more special than wearing a full gold piece on your wrist the feeling is amazing and the RO bracelet looks even better than the steel. You need to take a little more care of course (don’t bang it against a doorway like me or drop it on the floor!) and you will be fine. Once you go PM its hard to go back to steel you miss that substantial feeling on your wrist. Super jealous of anyone allocated a 16202OR and hopefully my turn comes one day. Enjoy your pieces they are too lovely to be safe queens.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 11:30 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP

Worn in rotation with scratches but that’s what they’re made for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 11:46 AM   #5
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Like others said, ROs are scratch magnets and there's no point holding out :)

Keep in mind you can't get them polished too much, otherwise the awesome case shape dies.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 12:21 PM   #6
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents... Don't get me wrong, I do wear my watches, the last thing I would do is put them in a safe.

According to my SA, you can polish an AP three times, before replacing the bezel, bracelet, etc.

Just wondering how a rose gold watch looks like with scratches.
Old 10 May 2023, 12:46 PM   #7
draken1
"TRF" Member

you can foil the watch
draken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 05:00 AM   #8
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

I have probably worn this 15500or 3-4 days per week for past couple years. Fairly aware when wearing it but it’s holding up very well.

watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 11:20 AM   #9
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Nice, still looking great after a couple of years...

It's indeed difficult to go back to steel after being used to rose gold. I do need a steel RO, so hopefully I'll get a 16202 allocated.
Old 12 May 2023, 12:47 AM   #10
Dukes_06
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715
Ive noticed that it's a lot harder to get hairlines on AP Rose Gold than Rolex. But once you get a scratch it's a lot more noticeable.
Dukes_06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 07:51 PM   #11
naylor442
"TRF" Member

I previously had a 15300or which I wore pretty often. Obviously no bracelet but bezel only caught a few very minor scratches.

Recently picked up the 16202or however so much more cautious trying to not scratch the bracelet.

I’m sure once the first scratch happens though then I will wear it more freely.

naylor442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 10:58 PM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by naylor442 View Post

I previously had a 15300or which I wore pretty often. Obviously no bracelet but bezel only caught a few very minor scratches.

Recently picked up the 16202or however so much more cautious trying to not scratch the bracelet.

I’m sure once the first scratch happens though then I will wear it more freely.

The jumbo with the dark dial...ooof
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 12:57 AM   #13
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I always go against this line of thought on here about accepting scratches and they are part of the character of the watch etc.
Why on earth would anyone be happy to have scratches on on an expensive luxury watch, it’s a like a car to me, always want it clean and it as good condition as possible.
Protective stickers are the way to go imo, my AP ROO bezel is still like new, many I see unprotected look awful , for the sake of £50 protect it, just makes sense
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 02:19 AM   #14
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I always go against this line of thought on here about accepting scratches and they are part of the character of the watch etc.
Why on earth would anyone be happy to have scratches on on an expensive luxury watch, it’s a like a car to me, always want it clean and it as good condition as possible.
Protective stickers are the way to go imo, my AP ROO bezel is still like new, many I see unprotected look awful , for the sake of £50 protect it, just makes sense
Then you have an ugly watch all of the time. Respectfully.

That beautiful brushed finish doesn’t deserve to be under plastic. Just wear with some wrist awareness, and it won’t look bad after many years from what I’ve seen
Vince_76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 08:52 AM   #15
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

I own Rolex, AP, Patek in precious metal. For me, you'll never see any protective film on any of my pieces.

I recently put a scratch on my 50th ROC that runs from crystal to bezel and doesn't bother me 1 bit.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 10:33 AM   #16
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Durability Rose Gold AP

I don’t think it’s about being happy when your watch gets scratched, I think it’s more about wearing what you own as it was meant to be worn and when it does inevitably get scratched just accepting it as part of the ownership and wearing experience and being ok with it. I understand taking care of things and not treating them poorly, but there’s a balance and I’ve also got to enjoy what I own. I wouldn’t enjoy any watch I own if I had protective stickers / plastic on it all the time. To each their own though and if some enjoy theirs with that stuff on them then have at it.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 10:59 AM   #17
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I always say that AP rose gold scratches when you breathe on it. lol. But that's ok. It's all part of the watch ownership. Sure the scratches hurt every time you put one on, but I can't fathom wrapping that beautiful brushed finish in plastic.

Wear it exercising some wrist presence and you should be fine. Just get it polished when you get it serviced. AP service centers do a great job in polishing.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 04:17 PM   #18
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the pics.

Can't be bother putting a protective film on a watch. I don't do it for my phone either, ruins the designs with a case/protective film.
Old 21 May 2023, 02:44 PM   #19
Lovingit
"TRF" Member

First time you scratch it hurts. But think of it as personalizing your watch.
Lovingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 07:28 PM   #20
LUDA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I am careful with my watches, I "hate" scratches, but I hate even more those protective stickers. No matter how good they are, they always look ugly IMHO.

A watch looks nicer with a few scratches than with shiny protective film that doesn't let you even see the proper finish of a watch, specially on a Royal Oak.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote