The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2023, 10:19 AM   #1
Not My Style
"TRF" Member

Worked at an AD in Cincinnati

I worked at an AD in Cincinnati for two years, so let me give you some insight on what it's like.

First, if you want a sports model, you better buy other things. My AD wouldn't sell a sports model to anyone without previous purchase, with few exceptions. A two-toned Sea-dweller, sure, because no one wants that watch. We would write names on cards and pretend we were adding clients to some master list, but the truth is, it was just input into some program to automatically text the client. Rolex wants ADs to keep the dream alive, because not everyone is getting what they want.

Second, it's more important who you are than how you are. I had a sweet young woman check in with me monthly asking to get her fiance a Submariner. She wasn't rich or famous, just a hard working woman who saved up to get her man something special. I was really hoping to make this happen…

Another woman walked in during this time, arrogant and conceited. Talked to me like I was beneath her, asking for the same watch. I informed her that we would try, but she didn't want to hear it. Her husband was some no name, buried on the roster, Reds baseball player. Frankly, her attitude had me completely disgusted.

When I told the owners about this, they grabbed a Submariner from the safe and sold it to her the next day. I got credit for the sale, and I hated every second of it. This woman was vile, and her arrogance stemmed from who she was married to, not even her own accomplishments.

Third, there are rules to buying Rolex…but those rules can be broken. Again, if you're influential, or just rich, the rules don't apply.

Most of my clients wanted me to ship them their watches to avoid paying taxes. Now legally speaking, if I ship you the watch, you report it in your home state. But honestly, we knew most, if not all, our clients were skipping this procedure.

But worse than "legal" tax fraud is just straight up tax fraud. My associate had a client named Jack out of New York drive eight hours to put a platinum Daytona in his pocket and walk out, only for us to later ship him an empty box. That's $5,000 in taxes Ohio got screwed out of…taxes that go to police, schools, infrastructure. Do you think these guys care? Nope. This happened several times while I worked there.

Fourth, watchmakers aren't Gods. So many people were amazed to meet our watchmakers, but let me give you some insight…it's just a two year technical program. They're human, and they screw up a lot.

I saw two watches get destroyed because they forgot to simply tighten the case backs. I once watched both watchmakers struggle to make a simple fix before telling me it was irreparable, and it had to be shipped back. I took the watch from them, looked at it for 10 seconds, and told them here's what's stopping the repair…you would have thought I cracked the code. Numerous times they couldn't get the watch backs off for battery repairs.

And the level of arrogance having that title almost matched the level of arrogance from some of my clients. The best compliment I got from them was, "You're smart enough to be a watchmaker." Nevermind I have an actual college degree, why would I want to waste my life working on trinkets? These guys act like they're curing cancer, when they're glorified toy makers.

Fifth, Rolexes are mechanical. If you complain that your watch isn't accurate, then look at your cell phone. Or buy a Casio. It amazes me how many people actually think Rolex is the best at time keeping. Everyone has a watch in their pocket connected to a satellite.

Sixth, Rolex is a company more concerned about image than honesty. Do you think they're going to admit to you that you'll never get that watch you desire? Do you think they care if you saved up for something special? If you're not a select client, don't bother.

As someone who sold Rolex, I can honestly say I hate their product and everything associated with it. It reeks of arrogance and entitlement, and why?

Are they the best watch on the market? No, there are companies that do far better.

Are they truly handcrafted? No, they're mass produced.

Are they going to make you a better person? No, 99% of people don't care what watch you're wearing. If you're an entitled jerk without a Rolex, you'll still be an entitled jerk when you put one on. I know plenty of them.

But if you want to keep chasing that dream, stop on down to Richter and Phillips.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:18 PM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Feel better? Just kidding. Seriously though, doesn’t everybody already know this.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:20 PM   #3
bogardon
"TRF" Member

> it was just input into some program to automatically text the client

What does this mean exactly? Like the text just leads the client on?

> keep the dream alive

That's a core concept in luxury marketing, so I'm not surprised they told you that.

> But worse than "legal" tax fraud is just straight up tax fraud.

Yeah that's just shitty. Wish you could've reported them somehow.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:27 PM   #4
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Oh brother! Screwed out of sales tax? Give me a break!! The guy that bought the Platona surely pays his fair sure. The rest- blah blah blah
Old 19 May 2023, 01:43 PM   #5
rolexsubwatching
"TRF" Member

Great insight - not surprising I guess - thanks for sharing - always great to hear from what is it like on the inside
Old 19 May 2023, 01:51 PM   #6
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I’d figure all these shops and brands at the high end operate the same, sure on some level with the clientele it’s gross with how they act but that’s their market

I got lucky with a BLRO, figure if the dealer I bought from knew how difficult things would get I wouldn’t have gotten that watch, and while lists might have been a thing in the past nowadays most have to figure it’s who you know or who you are or how much you’ve spent
Old 19 May 2023, 01:54 PM   #7
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I'm a nobody by every listed standard and got 126710BLNR after an 11 month wait.

Purchase history was a measly 2k gemstone ring that my wife actually wanted badly.

My honest and authentic banter with my AD paid dividends. Different store, different experence.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:55 PM   #8
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Welcome to the forum. Did you get to buy a Rolex while you worked there?
Old 19 May 2023, 01:59 PM   #9
PB_nts!
Banned

Watch: Glashutte
we all know that, and we just choose to ignore it.
I have looked down Rolex wearers for years because I have Patek, until recently I became one of you people :D
Old 19 May 2023, 02:07 PM   #10
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Pffffff
Old 19 May 2023, 02:12 PM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ll alert the media.
Old 19 May 2023, 02:15 PM   #12
cliffng
"TRF" Member

The same happens in Hong Kong. Well said mate.
Old 19 May 2023, 02:17 PM   #13
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Interesting post. I knew most of it (also working in the industry).

I’m sorry that your experience jaded your opinion of the brand. I certainly don’t think they are who they used to be, sadly. I’m connected to the brand because of who they used to be, but I’m also becoming a bit put-off by the current state of play and image to which you allude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 19 May 2023, 02:18 PM   #14
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not My Style View Post
Second, it's more important who you are than how you are.

Another woman walked in during this time, arrogant and conceited. Talked to me like I was beneath her, asking for the same watch. I informed her that we would try, but she didn't want to hear it. Her husband was some no name, buried on the roster, Reds baseball player.

When I told the owners about this, they grabbed a Submariner from the safe and sold it to her the next day.

Third, there are rules to buying Rolex…but those rules can be broken. Again, if you're influential, or just rich, the rules don't apply.
I hope you feel better after realizing in this world there are the haves and have-nots, plus owning a Rolex is a first world thing.

Quote:
Fourth, watchmakers aren't Gods. So many people were amazed to meet our watchmakers, but let me give you some insight…it's just a two year technical program. They're human, and they screw up a lot.

Numerous times they couldn't get the watch backs off for battery repairs.

And the level of arrogance having that title almost matched the level of arrogance from some of my clients. The best compliment I got from them was, "You're smart enough to be a watchmaker." Nevermind I have an actual college degree, why would I want to waste my life working on trinkets?

These guys act like they're curing cancer, when they're glorified toy makers.
Most professionals in todays climate must be vetted since many people lie about credentials or have carefree attitudes towards customer care.

Some doctors, engineers, lawyers, mechanics, accountants, and yes watchmakers are horrible at their jobs and I can say I’ve seen it more often than I’d like…

But that’s life and we usually try to get away from the nonsense eventually.
Old 19 May 2023, 02:22 PM   #15
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Why join this forum if you hate the brand?
Old 19 May 2023, 02:47 PM   #16
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Great first post! Experiences differ. I am a nobody - n.o.b.o.d.y. - by the standards you describe. And I have now bought 4 gorgeous watches from ADs with no - none. Donuts. Zip. Nada. Bubkas - purchase history from any of them. Exp 1. Starbucks. Polar. Pepsi. Just being a genuinely interested, customer, walking in talking with friendly SAs like you. And bam! Able to be the watches I wanted for me and family members. Great product with a great history. And plenty of corporate responsibility. Gorgeous products.

Old 19 May 2023, 02:50 PM   #17
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Don't feed the ChatBot
Old 19 May 2023, 03:10 PM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Don't feed the ChatBot
Exactly.
Old 19 May 2023, 03:25 PM   #19
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Finally someone said it lol

Old 19 May 2023, 03:26 PM   #20
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Wait, there’s rich and famous in Cincinnati?

Old 19 May 2023, 03:47 PM   #21
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

You sound more like an upset customer than someone that worked in the industry
Old 19 May 2023, 03:56 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by not my style View Post
i worked at an ad in cincinnati for two years, so let me give you some insight on what it's like.

First, if you want a sports model, you better buy other things. My ad wouldn't sell a sports model to anyone without previous purchase, with few exceptions. A two-toned sea-dweller, sure, because no one wants that watch. We would write names on cards and pretend we were adding clients to some master list, but the truth is, it was just input into some program to automatically text the client. Rolex wants ads to keep the dream alive, because not everyone is getting what they want.

Second, it's more important who you are than how you are. I had a sweet young woman check in with me monthly asking to get her fiance a submariner. She wasn't rich or famous, just a hard working woman who saved up to get her man something special. I was really hoping to make this happen…

another woman walked in during this time, arrogant and conceited. Talked to me like i was beneath her, asking for the same watch. I informed her that we would try, but she didn't want to hear it. Her husband was some no name, buried on the roster, reds baseball player. Frankly, her attitude had me completely disgusted.

When i told the owners about this, they grabbed a submariner from the safe and sold it to her the next day. I got credit for the sale, and i hated every second of it. This woman was vile, and her arrogance stemmed from who she was married to, not even her own accomplishments.

Third, there are rules to buying rolex…but those rules can be broken. Again, if you're influential, or just rich, the rules don't apply.

Most of my clients wanted me to ship them their watches to avoid paying taxes. Now legally speaking, if i ship you the watch, you report it in your home state. But honestly, we knew most, if not all, our clients were skipping this procedure.

But worse than "legal" tax fraud is just straight up tax fraud. My associate had a client named jack out of new york drive eight hours to put a platinum daytona in his pocket and walk out, only for us to later ship him an empty box. That's $5,000 in taxes ohio got screwed out of…taxes that go to police, schools, infrastructure. Do you think these guys care? Nope. This happened several times while i worked there.

Fourth, watchmakers aren't gods. So many people were amazed to meet our watchmakers, but let me give you some insight…it's just a two year technical program. They're human, and they screw up a lot.

I saw two watches get destroyed because they forgot to simply tighten the case backs. I once watched both watchmakers struggle to make a simple fix before telling me it was irreparable, and it had to be shipped back. I took the watch from them, looked at it for 10 seconds, and told them here's what's stopping the repair…you would have thought i cracked the code. Numerous times they couldn't get the watch backs off for battery repairs.

And the level of arrogance having that title almost matched the level of arrogance from some of my clients. The best compliment i got from them was, "you're smart enough to be a watchmaker." nevermind i have an actual college degree, why would i want to waste my life working on trinkets? These guys act like they're curing cancer, when they're glorified toy makers.

Fifth, rolexes are mechanical. If you complain that your watch isn't accurate, then look at your cell phone. Or buy a casio. It amazes me how many people actually think rolex is the best at time keeping. Everyone has a watch in their pocket connected to a satellite.

Sixth, rolex is a company more concerned about image than honesty. Do you think they're going to admit to you that you'll never get that watch you desire? Do you think they care if you saved up for something special? If you're not a select client, don't bother.

As someone who sold rolex, i can honestly say i hate their product and everything associated with it. It reeks of arrogance and entitlement, and why?

Are they the best watch on the market? No, there are companies that do far better.

Are they truly handcrafted? No, they're mass produced.

Are they going to make you a better person? No, 99% of people don't care what watch you're wearing. If you're an entitled jerk without a rolex, you'll still be an entitled jerk when you put one on. I know plenty of them.

But if you want to keep chasing that dream, stop on down to richter and phillips.

reported!!!!
Old 19 May 2023, 04:41 PM   #23
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Thank you for the insight, I’m in the nobody crowd as well. The only 2 current models I got called on is a new Sub date 41 along w the Omega Silver Snoopy (which took 2.5 years, the Sub took 6 months).
Old 19 May 2023, 05:08 PM   #24
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure of the credibility of the OP but definitely some good insight from someone that may have worked on the inside. Seems pretty honest to me. I have heard my rep tell me to let him know of any important dates and that he will try to make it work. I also do know they have SS models in the back of the safe for just in case situations. Allocations are truly up to the AD.
Old 19 May 2023, 05:10 PM   #25
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Are they going to make you a better person? No, 99% of people don't care what watch you're wearing. If you're an entitled jerk without a Rolex, you'll still be an entitled jerk when you put one on. I know plenty of them.
I want to second that and add that if something is wrong in your life (health, relationships, career) buying a/another Rolex isn’t the solution and is a very bad coping mechanism.
Old 19 May 2023, 05:28 PM   #26
dcfrye911
"TRF" Member

Here’s a bit of hope for us nobodies

Rolex Boutique Tourneau International Market Place Waikiki and Zurich Airport
Both clearly the different from the rest. The professionalism is the same in both however, Waikiki is a very high-volume dealer.

As a nobody I have done a lot of traveling on business over the last decade and on my free time would visit ADs.
I have visited well over 20+ ADs in Europe 12+ in US . Dressed usually in high end business attire with a GMT Batman on my wrist.
With a friendly attitude I was open to just about any steel sports model and the WG Daytona Oysterflex. Promising if they get something I would wire funds and return for delivery within a few days from Honolulu. I was always extremely polite to the sales staff which was often arrogant and totally disinterested in helping me. Most would informed me they mainly take care of local customers.

I never experienced such rejection and total failure and was starting to hate the brand, ready to move on.

Hope came with one exception Tourneau Rolex Boutique in the Zurich airport near the Star Alliance lounge. I have visited that store several times over the past few years. in October 2021 they offered me a TT Black Sub. I passed due to the yellow gold. I have zero interest in flipping watches even at the time I could have made a couple bucks. However I was grateful for the offering.

Dumb luck a buddy called me to go to lunch and visit the Waikiki Rolex as he wants a Sea Dweller w/Red Text. I thought this was going to be giant waste of time. Considering the mall Rolex Ben Bridge store over a 30 year period offered me nothing due to no real spend history. So I was shocked at how receptive the staff was to both of us. Long story short it has been about about 18 months since we placed our interests. To date he has received the Sea Dweller (red text) and the GMT Sprite. I have received the 41 green sub and my WG Daytona Oysterflex ghost. Have been told in few months they will help me with another desirable sport model.

I can certainly relate to FAILING at collecting popular pieces at MSRP from ADs. This forum shows me I am not alone. Combined with YouTubers pumping out total nonsense on how to buy from an AD.

If you’re vacationing in Hawaii, I would recommend emailing the A.D. let them your dates and your interests while introducing yourself. Letting them know you will be stopping by for a chat.

This boutique sell primarily to tourists. For two reasons most locals hate Waikiki and more importantly they have zero interest in nice watches. Most locals prefer Teslas and expensive homes.

Look at the yelp reviews most reviews created by tourists.

Aloha
Old 19 May 2023, 05:37 PM   #27
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Are you telling me that someone who is able to purchase a Platona drove 8 hours there and 8 hours back to save $5000? Seriously? Do they not have an airport Cincinnati?
Old 19 May 2023, 05:48 PM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations on escaping. Hope you're in a better place now.
Old 19 May 2023, 06:30 PM   #29
Greglaw
Banned

“And the level of arrogance having that title almost matched the level of arrogance from some of my clients. The best compliment I got from them was, "You're smart enough to be a watchmaker." Nevermind I have an actual college degree, why would I want to waste my life working on trinkets? These guys act like they're curing cancer, when they're glorified toy makers.”

Seems to me you are the most arrogant of all as you should know better with that college degree of yours.

What a foolish post from a foolish “person”.
Old 19 May 2023, 06:46 PM   #30
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Welcome to The Rolex Forums.

Submariner 126619LB + GMT II 126710BLRO + Explorer II 126570 Polar + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar +
Daytona 116500LN (Black) + Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

2FA Security Active
Closed Thread