The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2023, 07:28 AM   #61
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Torn between if I should use one of my Rolex as a beater watch over the summer - hiking, camping, sailing swimming etc - or opt for something else.
Personally I wouldn't view this as treating a watch as a beater. Mixing/using building/decorating materials, hammering, sawing, using power tools, working on cars etc. is more in line with "beating" in my little universe. At times like that I wear a resin G Shock if I want a watch on.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:33 AM   #62
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Tomorrow is not promised. Wear your Rolex.

Thanks, this is possibly what I needed to hear!
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:35 AM   #63
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I think first you need to understand why you feel a little regretful that you're not wearing one of your more favoured watches.

If that regret outweighs the worry free aspect, then wear them. If it doesn't, then don't

What you are doing, where you are doing it and who you are with makes memories. Not watches.

I wouldn't drive a sportscar down a rough forest track. And I don't wear an expensive (by general standards) watch when mountain biking down one.

Thanks for the insight - I’ve not thought about it from this perspective - I guess the main reason is for feeling regretful is that I’m fortunate enough to own some very nice (to me) watches which I bought with the full intention of wearing. Only sometimes they get left at home for fear of worry about something which may not happen…
Old 25 May 2023, 07:36 AM   #64
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Since I bought my Ball Pilot GMT three weeks ago, it has become my daily wearer as well as my beater. My 16710 is taking a well deserved break. Here are the main reasons I've made that choice.

• The Ball Pilot GMT retails for less than $3k, so loss or damage wouldn't be nearly the disaster as losing or damaging my 16710.

• The Ball has both quick set date (via a crown pullout position) and jump 12 hour hand (either forward or backward, via two pushers).

• The Ball has tritium micro gas tubes on the dial and hands for reading the time in complete darkness 24 hours a day for about twenty years. This is important to me because I sleep with my watch on and like to check the time in the dark. The bezel has SuperLuminova lume.

• Both watches have COSC chronometer certification, and so far the Ball keeps better time than my Rolex on my wrist (the Rolex was serviced a year ago by the NY RSC).

• The Ball has 300 meters WR compared to 100 meters for my 16710.

Thanks for the reply and the Ball looks really good, very impressed with the lume shot, but must be tough choosing this over the Pepsi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2023, 07:38 AM   #65
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only beater I know is in my kitchen used to beat my scrambled eggs.As for watches been wearing Rolex watches almost daily for over 50 years some used underwater as working tools.Others worn everywhere my own body went with watch attached to my wrist.

Didn’t you lose a watch diving once Padi? If so, we’re you able to replace it?

If the same was to happen today, would you be able to replace it?
Old 25 May 2023, 07:39 AM   #66
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnz View Post

Yes this is my beater. Sapphire Crystal and already got it’s fair share of nicks and scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amazing! Would love to pick something pre-ceramic up, but can’t get my head around the current prices which in most instances are more than new!

Old 25 May 2023, 07:40 AM   #67
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Rolex is the ultimate beater.
My thought is, I want that watch to accompany me on every adventure and when I look at it I know that it did. One day it may go to someone close to you… wouldn’t it be great to know it will continue its journey while carrying your stories.

Btw I have tried to give lesser watches an opportunity, it doesn’t work.

I have thought the same, and agree with your final comment, hence the reasoning behind this thread!

Old 25 May 2023, 07:42 AM   #68
MuleDeer
"TRF" Member

Retired Rolex AD here.

Personally, I wear a titanium-cased Bertucci as a beater. It is a fabulous timepiece.

https://bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/home.html

Steve
MuleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:47 AM   #69
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
You don't have to fall that hard to cause a lot of damage to a stainless steel watch.
The point is, if I've fallen off a bike hard enough to damage a Rolex it will have damaged my body a lot more, most likely I won't be worrying about an insured watch. Same if I totaled my car. Do you not drive your insured car because it might get in an accident?

How often do you fall off your bike?

Quote:
I hate to tell you but your stainless steel Rolex isn't really that tough.
It's a lot tougher than I am. I remember seeing 9/11 hero Todd Beamer's Rolex Turn-O-Graph in the NYC 9/11 museum, the case was still in one piece quite recognizable, the date permanently stuck on '11'. I don't think they found anything left of those poor passengers who were on that plane.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 08:00 AM   #70
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Personally I wouldn't view this as treating a watch as a beater. Mixing/using building/decorating materials, hammering, sawing, using power tools, working on cars etc. is more in line with "beating" in my little universe. At times like that I wear a resin G Shock if I want a watch on.

Yes you’re probably correct, beater may not be the entirely accurate way to describe those activities. I guess another term may have been a GADA watch.

By way of an example, I’ve had a couple of trips away this year - both in the UK and overseas. Activities have included scuba diving, pool, hiking, sailing…all of which the sub would be great for and could handle with ease. However, those trips also included some other activities, either training or running events where I wouldn’t wear a watch and it’d need to be left at the hotel or stashed in my rucksack during events or travel. This is where I see the risk described in my original post and has seen me leaving watches behind for the entire trip.

For diy around the house, I have other true ‘beaters’ that I can use! One of which may have been retired today though, my 10 y/o SKX taken for service which will cost more than the watch did originally!
Old 25 May 2023, 08:02 AM   #71
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Heck yes. All of them. Worry less and enjoy the watch

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 08:49 AM   #72
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It's all "safe"

amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 09:14 AM   #73
biza
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Tomorrow is not promised. Wear your Rolex.
This!
biza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 09:24 AM   #74
Timetaker34
"TRF" Member

I‘m trying to keep my Rolex in good condition so I can enjoy it for decades. There’s just no reason to beat up a watch only for it to be overpolished after a few services. It would bother me way more than banging my wrist and watch around all day. It works for me to not wear the watch while working with tools for example and enjoying my time piece which still looks like new after 5 years with sharp lugs and shape.
Timetaker34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 09:27 AM   #75
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
I don't think my fluted DJ41 on Jubilee is exactly an outdoorsy "beater," but I indeed do wear it for chores unless they're potentially super-scratchy or involving repeated heavy shocks like pounding in fence posts. I always have a pair of buffalo hide gloves in my back pocket, though, so if I'm bangin' around much outside, I'll put 'em on and make sure the cuff is covering. The Datejust is my only active watch, with my Bulova Marine Star just being backup in case of servicing, so it is an "everyday" piece for me.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 09:27 AM   #76
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
My beater is a Seiko or Citizen or a Pro Trek Casio. My Tudors, Omegas and Rolex are daily wears, but not beaters. But heavy, if you want a Rolex as a go all, do all watch, more power to you!
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 09:34 AM   #77
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
However, those trips also included some other activities, either training or running events where I wouldn’t wear a watch and it’d need to be left at the hotel or stashed in my rucksack during events or travel. This is where I see the risk described in my original post and has seen me leaving watches behind for the entire trip.
Yeah. I can relate. I used to ski and ride horses a lot. If I still did, I'd go with my resin Casioak. I've had watches ping off when doing such things and known people to get back from a ride or run without realising their watch is no longer attached to them. I'm slower and lazier nowadays.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 10:07 AM   #78
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and the Ball looks really good, very impressed with the lume shot, but must be tough choosing this over the Pepsi!
The Pepsi is special; no doubt about it. In spite of its heavier appearance, the Ball with its titanium case and titanium/stainless steel bracelet wears very much like the Pepsi; they're both very comfortable on my 6.75" wrist. The Ball is only slightly heavier (5 grams) than the Pepsi with both bracelets sized for my wrist.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 10:10 AM   #79
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
I don’t really consider those things beater activities. I would just consider them used on the slightly rougher side. I think of better activities as things that will definitely destroy the watch. Like painting with it or doing intense masonry work.

Personally, those activities that you mentioned, sometimes I don’t like to wear watch. I went hiking with my gshock over the summer. And I was like, this is just adding weight and making me hotter. Of course, it’s all in my mind, and I was just miserable anyways.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 10:17 AM   #80
kl2244
"TRF" Member

I actually don’t, I have cheaper watches that can feel in that gap.
kl2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 10:37 AM   #81
Soulo
"TRF" Member

I usually do not wear my watches for active outdoor activities. I find that I am able to enjoy myself more without having to move with caution around my wrist.
Soulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:06 PM   #82
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

I have gotten to a point where I wear my SkyD without any wrist awareness. I don’t know if beater is the right word, but I’ll do stuff like reach down for something in a tight gap in an airplane seat whereas I’d switch hands if I was wearing my AP or VC, or even a cheaper watch like my Pelagos.

I played ice hockey with the SkyD a couple times as I didn’t want to leave it in my car or the locker room. No issues. When the time feels right, I’ll polish it.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 12:20 PM   #83
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I have a cool Seiko Turtle in a black/red “Coke” color that was only sold in Asia, which I wear for “beater” things like golf, yard work, etc. It’s cool enough to satisfy my WIS tendencies, but it was inexpensive enough that I don’t worry about it.
Old 25 May 2023, 12:26 PM   #84
Kevzep
"TRF" Member

I have a TAG aqua-racer I wear when I am doing activities where I may damage my Rolex or Omega.
But having said that, the TAG is still in nice condition after 15 years...Its a "beater" but by no means beaten...
Kevzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:05 PM   #85
cinli
"TRF" Member

I have a Seiko and an Omega that I wear about. can’t wear my luxury watches on a daily basis, so much to be worried about.
cinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:42 PM   #86
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
My not pristine 16570 Exp II is my beater watch, it is insured, so it is worry free. It is also under the radar enough that I wouldn't worry about if traveling overseas.

Same same with my exp II

Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:24 PM   #87
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I own 100 watches, so none of them will get beat up, not my Rolex, or my G shock, or anything in between. I will choose a cheaper one for heavy physical activities, or dirty work.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 04:43 PM   #88
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Do you wear your Rolex as a ‘beater’?

Hiking, camping, swimming. Those are all just normal activities and I wouldn’t class a watch as a bearer just because you use it to sleep in a tent with.

For me a beater is something you wear when you know there is a good chance it could pick up some damage, and as Kat has eluded, I’d prefer not to wear a watch for such activities.

When I travel I wear a Panerai. It’s a small 42mm and it goes on a rubber band. Nobody knows what it is and it will happily so swimming and get sun cream all over it.

Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 04:57 PM   #89
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Do you wear your Rolex as a ‘beater’?

My ex read a book a while back. In it the author was speaking about the kinds of things we keep for best and never really use. The impetus was that such a practice is silly, why keep the best wine if you don’t drink it, or the best scotch for special occasions? Tomorrow isn’t promised and it’s a waste to own the best China of you don’t actually use and enjoy it.

My mum gives me a cashmere cardigan or sweater every year for Christmas, and I never wear them — choosing, instead, some lesser or grotty sweater. After chatting with my ex about the thought in the book, I realised that my cherished best sweaters were never getting use and they simply line draws waiting for special occasions that never come; the same is true for my good scotch.

Now I wear the sweaters, drink the scotch, and use the China. I also only own one watch, because you can’t wear two (or, I think it’s odd to do so). In fairness, I’ve only ever had one watch at a time — I don’t see any point at all in having one or more $10k thing sat in a draw hardly getting use.

Wear the damn watch, sell your others; enjoy your Rolex.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:21 PM   #90
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
My ex read a book a while back. In it the author was speaking about the kinds of things we keep for best and never really use. The impetus was that such a practice is silly, why keep the best wine if you don’t drink it, or the best scotch for special occasions? Tomorrow isn’t promised and it’s a waste to own the best China of you don’t actually use and enjoy it.

My mum gives me a cashmere cardigan or sweater every year for Christmas, and I never wear them — choosing, instead, some lesser or grotty sweater. After chatting with my ex about the thought in the book, I realised that my cherished best sweaters were never getting use and they simply line draws waiting for special occasions that never come; the same is true for my good scotch.

Now I wear the sweaters, drink the scotch, and use the China. I also only own one watch, because you can’t wear two (or, I think it’s odd to do so). In fairness, I’ve only ever had one watch at a time — I don’t see any point at all in having one or more $10k thing sat in a draw hardly getting use.

Wear the damn watch, sell your others; enjoy your Rolex.

Excellent thoughts. I have also come to realize this as I’ve gotten older. I am so guilty of that practice. I bought a Rolex DJ and only wore it on special occasions. Same for an expensive suit. Lesser expensive, but better garments…same. Over time my suit went out of style. My Datejust got sold. Hey I never wear it. Yada yada. Not anymore. My wife and I decided a while back that we would wear and enjoy and drink the expensive wine. She wears her new Rolex daily. So will I. We won’t beat them though. G-Shock for that.