The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #1
AussiJoe
"TRF" Member

Antique Rolex 10 1/2 H 10C Rose Gold

G'day Guys, I have an antique Rolex 10 1/2 H 10C wristwatch. I think it is circa 1920's but have been able to find nothing about it on the net. Maybe someone out there has seen one.
Its in Rose Gold, the case and Bubble back are 10C and the clasp on the chain mesh bracelet is marked W9D.
I'll be very happy to get information on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 10K pink original 3.JPG (146.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 10K pink original 4.JPG (173.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 10K pink original 6.JPG (112.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 10K pink original.JPG (59.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 10K pink original 5.JPG (141.2 KB, 151 views)
AussiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 10:33 AM   #2
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

700 series calibre. Looks like it's from the early 40's. Movement missing a screw. Crown replaced. Dial refinished (poorly) unfortunately. Bracelet is not Rolex.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 08:44 PM   #3
AussiJoe
"TRF" Member

Good eyes thanks

Thanks for that. I was told previously it was around 1928. I never could find info on it though. You think the face is refinished. Does that mean touched up in some way and can it be done properly? Good eyes mate, mine are fading, I cant see a missing screw on that photo even. Never would have known at real size. Joe
AussiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #4
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiJoe View Post
Thanks for that. I was told previously it was around 1928. I never could find info on it though. You think the face is refinished. Does that mean touched up in some way and can it be done properly? Good eyes mate, mine are fading, I cant see a missing screw on that photo even. Never would have known at real size. Joe
Two screws missing actually - not a big deal they just seem to be screws that help secure the movement (with my limited knowledge).

The watch case was made in Australia for Rolex, some have an image of a hand and say Handley; others just have 10C like yours. They did this at some point to avoid paying tax on exporting the gold to other markets.

The printing of ROLEX and shockprotected has been redone by hand and thus is not very well done; quite 'wonky'. Also it looks like the lume material near the hour markers has definitely been redone as well as it would be a brownish colour at this point due to aging, not the bright green we see here.

If you were looking to bring the watch dial back to its original state, it would be best to find out the exact measurements of your dial and try replace it with a new old stock dial or replacement used dial that hasn't been redone rather than attempting any other work on it as this is undesirable.

The caseback is not a 'bubble back' I would imagine as this was a type of caseback used in some Oyster models which was curved.

Lastly, having reviewed the photos again seeing you had replied I'm certain it is from the 1940's due to its appearance. I'm quite obsessed with 40's - 50's dress Rolex.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
Two screws missing actually - not a big deal they just seem to be screws that help secure the movement (with my limited knowledge).

The watch case was made in Australia for Rolex, some have an image of a hand and say Handley; others just have 10C like yours. They did this at some point to avoid paying tax on exporting the gold to other markets.

The printing of ROLEX and shockprotected has been redone by hand and thus is not very well done; quite 'wonky'. Also it looks like the lume material near the hour markers has definitely been redone as well as it would be a brownish colour at this point due to aging, not the bright green we see here.

If you were looking to bring the watch dial back to its original state, it would be best to find out the exact measurements of your dial and try replace it with a new old stock dial or replacement used dial that hasn't been redone rather than attempting any other work on it as this is undesirable.

The caseback is not a 'bubble back' I would imagine as this was a type of caseback used in some Oyster models which was curved.

Lastly, having reviewed the photos again seeing you had replied I'm certain it is from the 1940's due to its appearance. I'm quite obsessed with 40's - 50's dress Rolex.
+1

I would also say that the hands are not original
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote