The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 March 2018, 02:06 PM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
So, a very good 6263, big red, with all papers it really good condition - value?
Thanks for helping...
I think you’ll find that vintage watches need to be carefully evaluated on a case by case basis. Each one has + and - that affect the value.

Dial condition, lume plots condition, sub dials dirty or crisp, case condition, replacement parts including but not limited to (dial, hands, pushers, crown, insert), service history, provenance and who is selling the watch all need to be considered.

That said, I’ve been looking around and what you describe, is a 100-125k watch by my guess.
Old 20 March 2018, 04:15 PM   #62
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

at the same condition, the price of the black one is always higher than that of the white one. Five year ago, the black one is even higher. Currently they are closer, but still black one is higher. If one day Paul Newman's black 6263 go to the auction, I believe the black one will go hot again.
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 10:32 PM   #63
Wiener48
Banned

Like this one?

1979, Big Red, Papers

https://www.worldoftime.de/de/rolex....ml#prettyPhoto
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 12:03 AM   #64
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Like this one?

1979, Big Red, Papers

https://www.worldoftime.de/de/rolex....ml#prettyPhoto
I'm sure Ralf can tell you.

Edit: As it is sold my guess would be around 80-90k EUR. Really depending on the seller as a package like this is far and few between.

For the price of the big reds today I would much rather go after an early thin case screw down with prototype millerighe pushers. Just my personal opinion though. Much more rare and way cooler looking imho.
Old 21 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #65
Wiener48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I'm sure Ralf can tell you.

Edit: As it is sold my guess would be around 80-90k EUR. Really depending on the seller as a package like this is far and few between.

For the price of the big reds today I would much rather go after an early thin case screw down with prototype millerighe pushers. Just my personal opinion though. Much more rare and way cooler looking imho.
Watch is SOLD and goes to Vienna ;-)

Really love it ....
Old 21 March 2018, 04:52 AM   #66
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch is SOLD and goes to Vienna ;-)

Really love it ....
Congrats
Old 21 March 2018, 05:07 AM   #67
Wiener48
Banned

Thank you, really love it :-)
Old 21 March 2018, 05:48 AM   #68
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison_cheng View Post
at the same condition, the price of the black one is always higher than that of the white one. Five year ago, the black one is even higher. Currently they are closer, but still black one is higher. If one day Paul Newman's black 6263 go to the auction, I believe the black one will go hot again.
Not sure I agree. What are you basing that on? And perhaps it's regional too. Maybe in some parts of the world black-dialed versions are more popular. Just a guess.

Again, condition is the most important factor, of course, but I see (and saw when I hunted two years ago) plenty of silver/white dial 6263s higher than the black-dial version.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 08:27 AM   #69
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

Also, not sure if people are just holding onto the silver/white dials but I tend to see less coming up for sale as compared to the black dial version 6263.
john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 08:29 AM   #70
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Thoughts on the future for Daytona 6263?

I Want One! Is the first thought I had. I wish they would release a modern limited edition 6263.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 10:51 AM   #71
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA LION View Post
I Want One! Is the first thought I had. I wish they would release a modern limited edition 6263.
If they bring ceramic to the 116509 that will be a real treat. Not competing with a 4 digit beauty but a cool modern watch
Old 21 March 2018, 11:00 AM   #72
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

first of all I own three 6263s(steel white & black, one gold). I have no intention to bias. Below is the copy of the very famous magazine(watchfan.com 2013-2014 winter) from Japan. They always do very good stats(price trend, all the historical data etc., very profound and detailed) on vintage Rolex. You will see the the price difference bet B & W.

Old 21 March 2018, 02:52 PM   #73
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

one more point I would like to bring out is " sub-dial" , most of time we see the blacks with dirty sub-dials because they have the white color sub-dials. However, white has the black sub-dial easily to cover the dirty dust or small scratches. For that reason it is more difficult to get mint nice black one than white.
Old 21 March 2018, 03:04 PM   #74
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
one more point I would like to bring out is " sub-dial" , most of time we see the blacks with dirty sub-dials because they have the white color sub-dials. However, white has the black sub-dial easily to cover the dirty dust or small scratches. For that reason it is more difficult to get mint nice black one than white.
I'd think it's the other way around.....same reasoning why a white car is easier to maintain/look clean versus a black car.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:57 PM   #75
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
Quote:
first of all I own three 6263s(steel white & black, one gold). I have no intention to bias. Below is the copy of the very famous magazine(watchfan.com 2013-2014 winter) from Japan. They always do very good stats(price trend, all the historical data etc., very profound and detailed) on vintage Rolex. You will see the the price difference bet B & W.

This magazines are lit
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 04:04 PM   #76
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'd think it's the other way around.....same reasoning why a white car is easier to maintain/look clean versus a black car.
From my past purchasing experience and all the magazine I read, the mint black command higher price. However, you could say there are more mint white than black on the market.
Old 21 March 2018, 04:13 PM   #77
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
From my past purchasing experience and all the magazine I read, the mint black command higher price. However, you could say there are more mint white than black on the market.
I see you're from Taiwan. I know white/silver dials aren't popular in the Asian culture compared to the black dial watches. Could this have something to do with it? I know Daytona is priced like this whenever I visit Japan and I myself know the Chinese stigma for white dialed watches in general (I'm from Taiwan also).

I believe we're looking at different ads.....that type of stigma for white/silver dials doesn't exist here in the US for sure.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 07:32 PM   #78
LLmrol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoman View Post
I’m priced out on a 6263 so I recently picked up a stellar “poor man’s version”
Looks beautiful - congrats! Which ref is that?
LLmrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #79
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

That magazine is 4-5 years old. The prices have dramatically changed since then. Heck, the prices have dramatically changed over just the last 12 months!!

Also, that was for the Asian market. Very different than the rest of the world. It's relevant, of course, but I wouldn't generalize and reach conclusions about the white vs. the black-dialed 6263s based on that.

Again, the white/silver 6263s actually seem to be priced higher from what I've found, I think mainly because visually they pop more, with the black bezel accentuating the black subdials and the overall contrast look of the white dial with black creating more wrist presence. Just one man's opinion, but I'm biased!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona Dial Only-TRF.jpg (273.6 KB, 309 views)
Old 22 March 2018, 08:42 AM   #80
Wiener48
Banned

The „Daytona only“ Auction in May by Phillips will show the way, and I am pretty sure it will go strong up!

Special thread about the auction https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ction+Phillips
Old 23 March 2018, 12:42 AM   #81
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
That magazine is 4-5 years old. The prices have dramatically changed since then. Heck, the prices have dramatically changed over just the last 12 months!!

Also, that was for the Asian market. Very different than the rest of the world. It's relevant, of course, but I wouldn't generalize and reach conclusions about the white vs. the black-dialed 6263s based on that.

Again, the white/silver 6263s actually seem to be priced higher from what I've found, I think mainly because visually they pop more, with the black bezel accentuating the black subdials and the overall contrast look of the white dial with black creating more wrist presence. Just one man's opinion, but I'm biased!!
could you give me any idea the price difference of perfect B &W? I mean perfect dial and mint case. Actually even the most recent magazine I read, the price of black is higher, I could show you when I have it on hand. Although it is the magazine from Japan, it is still a solid proof. What is your proof? Could you show us some cases/web connections and tell us what their price are?
Old 23 March 2018, 02:10 AM   #82
roh123
"TRF" Member

My experience is the same as Harrisons. For what it is worth. Not like it is a competition..

When I bought my big red I paid extra for the black dial compared to an equal condition silver dial at the same dealer. This might have changed lately but I somehow doubt it as perfect black ones are very difficult to find. Sub dials often get discolored and the lume dots seem to be less flat than on white ones and therefore more prone to break.

I’d say; get the one you prefer more. Trends come and go.

Old 23 March 2018, 02:30 AM   #83
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
could you give me any idea the price difference of perfect B &W? I mean perfect dial and mint case. Actually even the most recent magazine I read, the price of black is higher, I could show you when I have it on hand. Although it is the magazine from Japan, it is still a solid proof. What is your proof? Could you show us some cases/web connections and tell us what their price are?
Not a competition and there is no "proof" either way. My experience is anecdotal, based on several months of hunting a couple of years ago before I bought my 6263.

One reason I believe (and saw) silver 6263s priced slightly higher is that a lot of guys into vintage watches already have black-dial Rolexes, such as Subs, GMTs, Explorers, etc ... So, the silver version might be more sought after, in theory.

In any event, condition is so much more important, that any slight difference in pricing based on dial color becomes virtually irrelevant. Both are beautiful; just personal preference.

And I prefer this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 Sun-TRF.jpg (289.2 KB, 291 views)
Old 23 March 2018, 07:50 AM   #84
Wiener48
Banned

Quote:
Not a competition and there is no "proof" either way. My experience is anecdotal, based on several months of hunting a couple of years ago before I bought my 6263.

One reason I believe (and saw) silver 6263s priced slightly higher is that a lot of guys into vintage watches already have black-dial Rolexes, such as Subs, GMTs, Explorers, etc ... So, the silver version might be more sought after, in theory.

In any event, condition is so much more important, that any slight difference in pricing based on dial color becomes virtually irrelevant. Both are beautiful; just personal preference.

And I prefer this!
Fantastic!!!
Old 2 April 2018, 08:45 PM   #85
Wiener48
Banned

Today Hong Kong auction Sothebys:

Rolex
A FINE AND RARE STAINLESS STEEL CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH WITH REGISTERS AND BRACELET REF 6263 CASE 9167512 OYSTER COSMOGRAPH DAYTONA CIRCA 1987
Estimate 320,000 — 480,000 HKD

LOT SOLD. 875,000 HKD

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/.../lot.2744.html
Old 3 April 2018, 12:37 AM   #86
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Today Hong Kong auction Sothebys:

Rolex
A FINE AND RARE STAINLESS STEEL CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH WITH REGISTERS AND BRACELET REF 6263 CASE 9167512 OYSTER COSMOGRAPH DAYTONA CIRCA 1987
Estimate 320,000 — 480,000 HKD

LOT SOLD. 875,000 HKD

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/.../lot.2744.html

Yup. Prices for all vintage Daytonas are going up, up, up, and in this auction they went for well above the high end of the pre-sale estimates:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/.../lot.2752.html
Old 3 April 2018, 07:04 AM   #87
Wiener48
Banned

This will change all, I am sure

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...illips+daytona

Results will show us the way and this will be uö!
Old 10 April 2018, 06:47 AM   #88
Wiener48
Banned

Here is the answer to the threadstarter, future of 6263

http://rolexpassionreport.com/25962/...pucci-papaleo/
Old 10 April 2018, 07:45 AM   #89
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Really? Why do you think black ones are rarer? Based on what? That's not what my extensive, and I mean extensive, online research showed me. I actually saw more black versions available in the months I was looking for one. It was close, but that's what I saw, anyway.

This thread needs another photo!
That is a thing of beauty.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:58 AM   #90
Swatz
Banned

I like this one. Probably because it looks more like a Speedmaster than a Daytona.
Swatz is offline   Reply With Quote