The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2018, 08:15 PM   #1
AlfieKerrison
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
I bought my LV from Watchfinder at £7,750 about a year ago. Last week I got a call out of the blue from the Rolex Boutique on Bond Street saying they had one for me - I had gone in there just before buying from Watchfinder to get on their list, they said it was closed but I could go on a pre-list but I would be waiting years, and that they would want a deposit to go on the actual list when another slot became free. Needless to say that drove me to get one from the greys.

I am not sure how or why they suddenly called me, I've never bought from there and they don't know me. Maybe the story about the quick sale is right and I was the first to pick up the phone. Went in and got it on Saturday and sold my old one back to Watchfinder yesterday.

If you want one from an AD you may get lucky - but I don't think you can really ever know where you stand on the list or even if there is one. The only way to be sure is to go to a grey dealer - there's plenty of supply and I think if you shop around you should be able to get one around £8.5-£9k (not an un-worn model though)

I was in Tokyo a few weeks back - one of the dealers had about 20 on one shelf, all in perfect condition.
That's it I am off to Tokyo! Would I actually have better luck going to another country in say Europe to get one?
AlfieKerrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:43 AM   #2
Compo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieKerrison View Post
That's it I am off to Tokyo! Would I actually have better luck going to another country in say Europe to get one?
No - unless you get lucky in Schipol Airport - the AD in terminal has no lists and everything goes in the cabinet. The manager told me his record is 27 seconds from in cabinet to sale (Daytona c) and he had to call security to break up a fight over an Lv in the cabinet.

Tokyo is a watch hunters paradise in terms of choice in the greys. If buying new - overseas buyers get the 8%VAT back - but you'll need to pay VAT and Duty when you declare to customs in UK.

My advice would be to buy a Grand Seiko if you're on a trip there - something very cool about the whole Japanese buying experience, particularly in a top end department store.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote