The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 22 December 2014, 04:19 AM   #1
hosam112
Banned

AD prices are like a 1000 USD more than trusted sellers?

Hey guys,

Hope all is well. I just don't get one thing. I asked local few AD's about their prices for Rolex submariner ceramic no date 114060 out of curiosity and they told me their price is 7500 USD. But how is it then possible that many trusted sellers here (like Takuya, DavidSW, bodybump...) are offering BNIB from AD as well for around 6500 dollars give or take? That's like a grand less!!

Do they get their watches at a discount from AD since they are getting a bunch of them at once? Because I know rolex hardly discounts.

At this point, it's no brainer that anyone with the right mind should just buy from a trusted seller since it will be the same as buying from AD...everything comes the same...plus saving a whole grand into something else!

Anything I'm missing? Thanks!
hosam112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:21 AM   #2
winrestpossoftware
"TRF" Member

Authorized dealers usually have overhead like rent, employees etc. Trusted sellers here usually work our of their home. Everyone has to bills to pay!
winrestpossoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:24 AM   #3
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam112 View Post

Do they get their watches at a discount from AD since they are getting a bunch of them at once? Because I know rolex hardly discounts.
Rolex does not sell their watches directly to the public. Anyone selling their watches are simply dealers. The dealers can offer the watches at a discount if they want, but most will not. Rolex frowns upon discounting, and can pull a dealers authorization to sell their products if they see fit. If a watch comes with a valid warranty, it doesn't matter which dealer you purchase from, be it a brick and mortar location, or an online dealer such as our trusted guys here.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:28 AM   #4
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrestpossoftware View Post
Authorized dealers usually have overhead like rent, employees etc. Trusted sellers here usually work our of their home. Everyone has to bills to pay!
sorry but this is not correct (IMO)

Its all about your relationship with the AD. to Building relationships takes time and a lot of money to be very general about it
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:30 AM   #5
winrestpossoftware
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
sorry but this is not correct

Its all about your relationship with the AD. to Building relationships takes time and a lot of money to be very general about it
Guess I was wrong!
winrestpossoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe with your AD. Its all about how u approach the sale and negotiate. If one AD doesnt give you the price you want...move on to the other until you find the best deal
Jbranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:31 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Guess I was wrong!
No, you are right.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:31 AM   #8
vipergts
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed.
vipergts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:38 AM   #9
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
All watches come from AD's. Rolex makes so many that AD's can't sell them and have to sell them to grey dealers.
Because they buy a lot of pieces the grey dealers get huge discounts from the AD's hence their cheaper prices. All about supply and demand.
Obviously the grey dealers will settle for a smaller margin, not having a brick and mortar store.
You really need a good relation with an AD to get a similar discount.
Old 22 December 2014, 04:40 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying that it's not true that ADs have to pay rent, payroll, etc? Or are you saying its not true that online sellers work from home? Or is it not true that everyone has bills to pay?

I'm confused at to which part is not correct.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:43 AM   #11
perpetualman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
No, you are right.
If ADs don't discount because of overhead such as rent electric and sales people how are trusted sellers able to secure discounts from these same ADs?

the reason Mon is because the Trusted sellers add value to the ADs business. Without getting specific its about making yourself an asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Are you saying that it's not true that ADs have to pay rent, payroll, etc? Or are you saying its not true that online sellers work from home? Or is it not true that everyone has bills to pay?

I am saying overhead and rent don't have to do with discounting. Also some sellers here have offices and don't just work from home and yes of course everyone has bills to pay. Having overhead though does not dictate not giving a discount?
Old 22 December 2014, 04:43 AM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

Sadly not for me.

I've spent a small fortune at my local AD.

Just asked them to cover the tax on a blnr. They declined.

Just more justification for why I buy the vast majority of my watches with DavidSW.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:56 AM   #13
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
This doesn't really make sense as trusted sellers would have to buy directly or indirectly from AD's. . . . . . Who would still have their overheads and on this basis are discounting.

Many watches in The UK are now coming from trusted sellers who are 'apparently' buying in bulk from AD's in Italy, Greece and Spain and there are some substantial savings to be had. These AD's appear to be able to discount at will whereas in other countries they seem to tow the Rolex line more. Just been to nearly a dozen Rolex shops throughout the Caribbean and they ALL had the same deals - nothing on nearly all SS except 5% on non date. Not one would budge apart - other incentives yes, but discounts no.

I do agree however that if you build a relationship with an AD they will look after you long term.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 04:59 AM   #14
perpetualman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
This doesn't really make sense as trusted sellers would have to buy directly or indirectly from AD's. . . . . . Who would still have their overheads and on this basis are discounting.
exactly
Old 22 December 2014, 05:17 AM   #15
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I also think that there are value adds that the grey market dealers bring to the AD, like the ability to move slow moving pieces. PM pieces and others that sit in their inventory will be taken off of their hands in a package deal with say a BLNR or BLRO or another high demand piece. Keeps the inventory fresh, keeps the turns up and keeps Rolex sales numbers up which increases allocation of new and popular pieces. I am not certain on this at all, but I wouldn't think Rolex watches the sales prices of their dealers that close. Just move the metal and average within 10% or so of msrp. Any that will not discount at all, to me, are greedy and prey on the clueless. Unless (of course) it is a fast mover. And the ones that charge over msrp are pond scum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 05:21 AM   #16
nerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
....Its all about your relationship with the AD. to Building relationships takes time and a lot of money to be very general about it
Without prior intent, I developed a relationship with a small (single retail store) Rolex AD from whom I purchased seven new watches over a 3-4 year span. I never asked for a discount, but into year two it became automatic when I handed them my credit card. It was never $1K, but they always smiled and suggested the discount would buy a really nice dinner for my wife and myself. Once my addiction bloomed, access to the watches I desired (SS Daytona, Migauss GV, etc.) was more important than any discount.

Like most business relationships, the foundation is relevancy (volume), integrity and paying your bills on-time...or ahead of time!
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 05:26 AM   #17
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
TRF dealers have one thing ADs don't: magic
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 05:31 AM   #18
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Just like everything in life, it's all about relationships.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:02 AM   #19
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
TRF dealers have one thing ADs don't: magic
Actually, I would say that what the TRF dealers have that most ADs don't is knowledge.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Sadly not for me.

I've spent a small fortune at my local AD.

Just asked them to cover the tax on a blnr. They declined.

Just more justification for why I buy the vast majority of my watches with DavidSW.
That's crap!
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post

Many watches in The UK are now coming from trusted sellers who are 'apparently' buying in bulk from AD's in Italy, Greece and Spain and there are some substantial savings to be had. These AD's appear to be able to discount at will whereas in other countries they seem to tow the Rolex line more. Just been to nearly a dozen Rolex shops throughout the Caribbean and they ALL had the same deals - nothing on nearly all SS except 5% on non date. Not one would budge apart - other incentives yes, but discounts no.

I do agree however that if you build a relationship with an AD they will look after you long term.
What your missing in the big picture is that AD's have to buy X amount of watches per year from Rolex. So the ones they don't sell or are slow movers they sell in volume to trusted sellers for a higher discount while still making some money off the sale. This keeps inventory fresh and keeps Mother Rolex happy. That's why trusted sellers can offer watches at lower prices than AD's most of the time.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:26 AM   #22
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Trusted sellers have relationships with ADs to buy excess watches in high numbers due to the fact many ADs cannot possibly sell all their allocation from Rolex. So many watches are sold out the "back door". When Rolex sends an AD a shipment they have to accept it and pay the invoice regardless of the fact their display case and safe may be chock full of watches and sales may be slow. So the sellers here are a valuable commodity to the dealers and to those of us who wish to save significant money on a new watch.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:35 AM   #23
fania123
"TRF" Member

I've got enough friends, I'll give my money to a trusted seller here and use that friendship money the AD isn't getting to fund a new piece.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 08:38 AM   #24
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Trusted sellers have relationships with ADs to buy excess watches in high numbers due to the fact many ADs cannot possibly sell all their allocation from Rolex. So many watches are sold out the "back door". When Rolex sends an AD a shipment they have to accept it and pay the invoice regardless of the fact their display case and safe may be chock full of watches and sales may be slow. So the sellers here are a valuable commodity to the dealers and to those of us who wish to save significant money on a new watch.
Makes sense, but how does this explain the large number of in demand watches being offered for sale? I would imagine that ADs would want to keep their inventory of BLNRs, Hulks, ss Daytonas, Subs, etc.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 08:53 AM   #25
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
No trusted seller would buy strictly all of the less popular models. There has to be some good ones in there too to make it attractive. It has to be a good working relationship for both sides. The AD's need to move A LOT of watches. I am sure Rolex is well aware of this but cant control it completely. Plus why would they. They sell more watches and still keep the reputation this way.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 09:14 AM   #26
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Thanks Jim. That helps.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 02:49 PM   #27
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
i've personally found that it's much quicker and easier to establish a good relationship with one of our trusted sellers than with an AD. I've consistently gotten much better prices than at an AD, found hard to get references whenever I neded to get them and gotten exceptional service.

PM DavidSW, tell him what you want and enjoy!
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 02:53 PM   #28
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post

Quote:
I am saying overhead and rent don't have to do with discounting. Also some sellers here have offices and don't just work from home and yes of course everyone has bills to pay. Having overhead though does not dictate not giving a discount?
Oh, I see. I misunderstood your first response.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 03:07 PM   #29
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Daytona, DD2
Rolex does not own all their ADs, in fact majority of these ADs were owned by different companies. Therefore rolex can't really control their retail prices.

Compare that with companies like Louis Vuitton, or Hermes. They have their own retail outlets around the world, and there is not other place you can buy their products. Since they control all the retail sales, they control the price - therefore no discount.

Especially with Hermes Kelly or Birkin bags - in such in short supply that grey dealers actually jacked up the price 20-30% more than ADs.

Imagine two different rolex ADs in the same city owned by different companies, each will of course try to grab more market share - hence the discount.
engin33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 03:36 PM   #30
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I'm not a huge fan of ad's for a number of reasons.
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote