The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 July 2023, 05:08 AM   #241
Drew.g.l
Banned

Mods feel free to lock this thread now - just a bunch of angry little elf’s here now with no ability to articulate their opinions in a sensible manner
Old 5 July 2023, 05:10 AM   #242
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
And I strongly suspect that many on those forums hold the belief that all Rolex Datejust wearing Investment Bankers are "douchebags"
This is why i'm an EXP II wearing banker
Old 5 July 2023, 05:24 AM   #243
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew.g.l View Post
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex.

-snip-

Does anyone else feel similar or if you love the sub what’s your thoughts on it?

If I follow along with the discourse:
One less Sub-hunter means plus one GMT-hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 July 2023, 05:30 AM   #244
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Mods feel free to lock this thread now - just a bunch of angry little elf’s here now with no ability to articulate their opinions in a sensible manner

LOL!

Now he’s throwing a temper tantrum and calling everyone else angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2023, 05:42 AM   #245
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I'm a bit confused now. He originally said he was turned off from purchasing a sub for the reasons he described (implying he did not), but now more recently, he suggests he purchased it and sold it for a profit??

While it’s an undeniably classic and beautiful watch, there’s just something about it’s ubiquitousness that ultimately turned me off from wanting to purchase it. Especially when worn by someone my age (28), honestly by anyone under 40-50 years old, that just seems corny in my opinion.
Old 5 July 2023, 05:47 AM   #246
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
That’s literally what that guy did �� sorry you’re so triggered mate - I’m curious why you’re on here writing short stories about your moral superiority instead of enjoying the holiday, then I realized you’re from the UK ������

I guess that’s why you’re so salty today.

Also if you think anyone is paying you close to that valuation on those watches you’re still living in 2020.

You’ve proven yourself to be a douche regardless of your embarrassingly generic watch collection. Get over yourself and find another way to spend your day
Me, salty? nope. I couldn't care less what you or anyone thinks about luxury trinkets.

Again, i'm neither "triggered" nor your "mate".

I've proven myself to be a douche?

I've kept it civil. I've given you reasoned response.

Seriously Drew. Explain why. If you can. (other than everyone with a different opinion to you is a douche - that may be how you see life, but it's not reality)

And that's a pretty lame critique. That the best you can do? "Embarrassingly generic". Seriously? You can't come up with anything better than that?

Go on. Have a go. If you're capable.

ps. there's only one person who needs to "get over themselves" on this thread. And I'll give you a clue. It's not me.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 5 July 2023, 05:48 AM   #247
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
This is why i'm an EXP II wearing banker

Old 5 July 2023, 05:51 AM   #248
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s literally what that guy did �� sorry you’re so triggered mate - I’m curious why you’re on here writing short stories about your moral superiority instead of enjoying the holiday, then I realized you’re from the UK ������

I guess that’s why you’re so salty today.

Also if you think anyone is paying you close to that valuation on those watches you’re still living in 2020.

You’ve proven yourself to be a douche regardless of your embarrassingly generic watch collection. Get over yourself and find another way to spend your day
PPS (I wasn't going to say this but what the heck)

A guy with the most common Rolex on the planet talking about someone else's "embarrassingly generic" collection

Old 5 July 2023, 05:55 AM   #249
Drew.g.l
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
LOL!

Now he’s throwing a temper tantrum and calling everyone else angry.

You’re seriously still commenting? I’m asking this thread to be locked because of clowns like you.

So butt-hurt about you’re little maxi case sub :)
Old 5 July 2023, 05:58 AM   #250
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
herd needs to be thinned out for July 4th; then bbq'd.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:01 AM   #251
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It’s just your ego that won’t let you enjoy something that is special because someone else has it too, it becomes less exclusive to you. The problem lies within yourself.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:02 AM   #252
Drew.g.l
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Me, salty? nope. I couldn't care less what you or anyone thinks about luxury trinkets.

Again, i'm neither "triggered" nor your "mate".

I've proven myself to be a douche?

I've kept it civil. I've given you reasoned response.

Seriously Drew. Explain why. If you can. (other than everyone with a different opinion to you is a douche - that may be how you see life, but it's not reality)

And that's a pretty lame critique. That the best you can do? "Embarrassingly generic". Seriously? You can't come up with anything better than that?

Go on. Have a go. If you're capable.

ps. there's only one person who needs to "get over themselves" on this thread. And I'll give you a clue. It's not me.

1.) You’re clearly triggered by the fact you’re incessantly commenting on this thread

2.) you’re right - you’re not my mate, you’re bozo the internet clown

Now go ahead and prove me right by commenting again you little sausage :)
Old 5 July 2023, 06:09 AM   #253
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Ibtl
Old 5 July 2023, 06:09 AM   #254
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Ibtl
Old 5 July 2023, 06:11 AM   #255
BobbyB
Banned

Quote:
Bobby - there’s over 200 comments here in less than 48 hours and you yourself took the time to comment.

Nice try being META and deflecting with the classic nobody cares line but clearly people do including yourself.

The fact that most of these comments are either A) disagreeing with you or B) you replying to everyone, reinforces my point. Your clearly a very insecure person and could probably benefit from more time outside and less time infront of your computer screen

Old 5 July 2023, 06:19 AM   #256
Top G
"TRF" Member

Ibtl
Old 5 July 2023, 06:23 AM   #257
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
The fact that most of these comments are either A) disagreeing with you or B) you replying to everyone, reinforces my point. Your clearly a very insecure person and could probably benefit from more time outside and less time infront of your computer screen

I suspect we are now the longest relationship he's had in the past decade.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2023, 06:24 AM   #258
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you’re so curious there’s a breakdown.

A tier can only be fully handmade pieces, from start to finish.

A-tier: Lange, Patek

B-Tier: AP, JLC

C-Tier: Rolex, omega, Panerai, breitling

This one made me love out loud... Patek fully handmade... LOL. Looking at the 5711 on my wrist I disagree.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:32 AM   #259
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1.) You’re clearly triggered by the fact you’re incessantly commenting on this thread

2.) you’re right - you’re not my mate, you’re bozo the internet clown

Now go ahead and prove me right by commenting again you little sausage :)
Ahh.. that old prove me right comment

No, engaging in a discussion on, you know, a discussion board does not mean I'm triggered. It's more curiosity.

I'm mildly entertained by what appears to be a case study in narcissism.

So let me turn that around. Rather than continually promoting your agenda here in the hope that it may stick, why don't you prove me wrong by actually standing behind some of your assertions and actually answer some of the questions put to you as to why you have reached the conclusions you have.

If you actually can?

Old 5 July 2023, 06:33 AM   #260
Unframed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex. Also not a super original take either but never the less here it is.

While it’s an undeniably classic and beautiful watch, there’s just something about it’s ubiquitousness that ultimately turned me off from wanting to purchase it. Especially when worn by someone my age (28), honestly by anyone under 40-50 years old, that just seems corny in my opinion.

It’s to the watch world what the white bmw 3series is to the car world. Or what that brown checkered Louis Vuitton tote bag that every middle class woman and her grandma has or had owned is to the world of female handbags.

I started noticing it everywhere once I got into watches and whenever I see it on a guy I just think “yup that’s definitely fake” or “this kid just looks like a little douche”. I get that may be intense or harsh but there’s just something about the reputation this watch has developed that makes it so it’s more about “hey look at me” than just being a beautiful and well made watch.

I think in the world of Rolex there’s far more interesting pieces on both the lower end (explorer, datejust) and certainly on the pricier end. With the BMW analogy, the submariner screams look at me like a white 3 series does. Someone who
Actually knows Cars doesn’t get that one, they get an 911 or a M5. Just like Rolex guys get a jubilee GMT or a Daytona - or ultimately go higher than Rolex and get something really special.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that I love watches in general, of all
Brands and price points. Specifically for the budget spectrum, which to me is anything less than $1K, I think all the best pieces in that range are dive watches. In fact there’s a plethora of beautiful and shocking well made options (seiko skx, seiko king, tissot seastar, orient Kasamu - just to name a few) that I feel like more than cover the need or desire to own a well made dive watch.

Personally I’d rather go for a gmt at retail, or secondary market go for an explorer or datejust. Does anyone else feel similar or if you love the sub what’s your thoughts on it?

Why are you so worried about what other men do?
Old 5 July 2023, 06:48 AM   #261
Gourdman
"TRF" Member

My issue with the submariner

It’s just a watch guys relax. Expensive jewelry for men. They have very little meaning.

Don’t tie your identity to jewelry. It’s weird.

If you have something that you like great.

If someone else likes the same thing and buys it great. If other people don’t like it who cares.

Seems like a small segment of very insecure men (or women) get bent out of shape when they tie too much of their identity to whatever watch they are wearing (or car they are driving).

Old 5 July 2023, 06:51 AM   #262
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unframed View Post
Why are you so worried about what other men do?
Because he's clearly not sure of himself as one.
Old 5 July 2023, 07:01 AM   #263
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
My issue with the submariner

OP. Good trolling post but:

a) anyone who is 28 doesn’t really have the life experience to wax lyrical. Rein it in.

b) if you’re serious about some of those points when half the developed world is struggling financially then I’d maybe take a long, lingering look in the mirror.

c) all the best.

Old 5 July 2023, 07:06 AM   #264
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Okay so not really sure what the point of this thread is other than to share my perspective as I shopped for my first Rolex. Also not a super original take either but never the less here it is.

It’s to the watch world what the white bmw 3series is to the car world. Or what that brown checkered Louis Vuitton tote bag that every middle class woman and her grandma has or had owned is to the world of female handbags.

I started noticing it everywhere once I got into watches and whenever I see it on a guy I just think “yup that’s definitely fake” or “this kid just looks like a little douche”. I get that may be intense or harsh but there’s just something about the reputation this watch has developed that makes it so it’s more about “hey look at me” than just being a beautiful and well made watch.

I think in the world of Rolex there’s far more interesting pieces on both the lower end (explorer, datejust) and certainly on the pricier end. With the BMW analogy, the submariner screams look at me like a white 3 series does. Someone who
Actually knows Cars doesn’t get that one, they get an 911 or a M5. Just like Rolex guys get a jubilee GMT or a Daytona - or ultimately go higher than Rolex and get something really special.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that I love watches in general, of all
Brands and price points. Specifically for the budget spectrum, which to me is anything less than $1K, I think all the best pieces in that range are dive watches. In fact there’s a plethora of beautiful and shocking well made options (seiko skx, seiko king, tissot seastar, orient Kasamu - just to name a few) that I feel like more than cover the need or desire to own a well made dive watch.

Personally I’d rather go for a gmt at retail, or secondary market go for an explorer or datejust. Does anyone else feel similar or if you love the sub what’s your thoughts on it?

Old 5 July 2023, 07:18 AM   #265
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
OP
Best troll I’ve seen in months and you can content yourself that you’ve triggered some real passionate Rolex owners. Maybe time to move on to a forum more suitable to your “tastes”.
Closed Thread

Tags
drew's issue... , lol