The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 29 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #31
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Oh, don’t worry about that! People will continue to find interesting ways to break their watches. Always have, always will

And then there’s the “I didn’t break it! It was working when I took it off when I went to bed, and when I woke up it was like this....” people. Lots of them keep us busy.
Hi watchmaker, early on in this thread you made a very reasonably sounding response that made me think that what I was doing was not a significant risk.......

....."Technically speaking it is subjecting the watch to additional force/stress/wear. But I wouldn't say it is significant.

That being said, extra stress is extra stress. If 99.99% are fine, that would still result in failure for every 1 in 10,000 watches - not exactly a remote chance. (And there is no realistic way their failure rate is only 0.01% either, was intended as hyperbole)

I wouldn't worry about it though, just don't go strapping your watch to a paint mixer at home depot."......

If you're changing you're opinion, and are thinking there is real significant risk, then I can always just pop the crown and adjust the time once a month that way. This is a watch I am going to wear everyday so I was already assuming that a servicing every 5 years was probably going to be necessary.

Sincere comments based on experience were always what I seeked. Put-downs and sarcasm were not.

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 11:35 PM   #32
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Well it seems to make a very subtle difference but nothing significant. I agree I don't know why you're watch responds and mine doesn't. Do you have a first generation, or one from after the 2017 refresh? Maybe there were some minor changes to the movement also? I tend to doubt it but that's all I got

Mike
Mine was new in 2019. I assume it would not have been old stock as the model is so popular.

To give you an idea, I left mine dial up at 9pm last night and picked it up at 7am this morning - 3 seconds gained.

If yours is definitely running slow, I'd be tempted to have Rolex adjust it - it could/should then run maybe 2 seconds fast over 24 hours. This is better, to my mind, than running slow.

Just a thought.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:03 AM   #33
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Hi watchmaker, early on in this thread you made a very reasonably sounding response that made me think that what I was doing was not a significant risk.......

....."Technically speaking it is subjecting the watch to additional force/stress/wear. But I wouldn't say it is significant.

That being said, extra stress is extra stress. If 99.99% are fine, that would still result in failure for every 1 in 10,000 watches - not exactly a remote chance. (And there is no realistic way their failure rate is only 0.01% either, was intended as hyperbole)

I wouldn't worry about it though, just don't go strapping your watch to a paint mixer at home depot."......

If you're changing you're opinion, and are thinking there is real significant risk, then I can always just pop the crown and adjust the time once a month that way. This is a watch I am going to wear everyday so I was already assuming that a servicing every 5 years was probably going to be necessary.

Sincere comments based on experience were always what I seeked. Put-downs and sarcasm were not.

Mike
I don’t see how my comment could be interpreted as a put down towards you, but if that’s how you took it I apologise.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Put it to rest dude. Live your life the way you do and I'll live mine. How does that sound? I'm not sure what's weirder, me (and many others) caring about keeping their timepieces accurate, or you trying to keep shaming me because I do.

Mike
First I am not a dude and I was trying to help you and not to be insulted by you or anyone,or even trying to shame you so have a few points on me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:34 AM   #35
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First I am not a dude and I was trying to help you and not to be insulted by you or anyone,or even trying to shame you so have a few points on me.
Ok Padi. So neither of us intended to insult each other. I'm sorry too. So let's just end this now. Best to luck to you

Mike
Old 1 March 2020, 01:27 AM   #36
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Well it seems to make a very subtle difference but nothing significant. I agree I don't know why you're watch responds and mine doesn't. Do you have a first generation, or one from after the 2017 refresh? Maybe there were some minor changes to the movement also? I tend to doubt it but that's all I got

Mike

The watchmaker at my AD is happy to adjust your watch with ~0.5 spd accuracy if you can show him a couple weeks of data. Watch tracker app makes these easy. Once a day you spend 5 seconds and push the button when you see the time displayed on the app on your watch.

I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for this 4 minute operation and my GMTs ran 0.3 spd or less after that adjustment. I haven't unscrewed the crown on 3 of my watches in 6 months and they are within 15 seconds of atomic clock.

The key is having it adjusted for your wearing habits and not a timegrapher.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:34 AM   #37
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
The watchmaker at my AD is happy to adjust your watch with ~0.5 spd accuracy if you can show him a couple weeks of data. Watch tracker app makes these easy. Once a day you spend 5 seconds and push the button when you see the time displayed on the app on your watch.

I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for this 4 minute operation and my GMTs ran 0.3 spd or less after that adjustment. I haven't unscrewed the crown on 3 of my watches in 6 months and they are within 15 seconds of atomic clock.

Thanks EEPro for that helpful information. I appreciate that. Thats something I honestly didn't think of. I was assuming it would need to be shipped out and I didn't think it was worth it. This watch loses about 3-4 seconds per 24 hrs. Outside specs so maybe I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!
Old 1 March 2020, 02:13 AM   #38
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I don’t see how my comment could be interpreted as a put down towards you, but if that’s how you took it I apologise.
Not at all watchmaker. That original comment was very helpful.I was just wondering if you were changing your opinion after tour second post. That's all I was trying to say. I apologize also if you misinterpreted me.

I was annoyed with Pati. He posted twice now on my thread implying I was being unreasonable somehow to worry about losing a few seconds a day. I didn't find the comment helpful the 1st time and I certainly didn't appreciate it the 2nd time. Thanks again for your very helpful comments.

Mike
Old 1 March 2020, 06:25 AM   #39
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hi again EEPro

I just wanted to let you know I called my SA at "Mayors" jewelers here in Orlando who sold me the watch last week. Asked him if they could do a regulation on site. He said of course! They have 14 stores in the region and the watchmaker makes rotations around. He'll be there next Tuesday and I made an appointment. It sounds so simple but I never even thought it could be done on site without sending it out. Thanks so much for raising that idea. Obviously I'm new to this and appreciate the kind help. Hopefully other newbies might learn something from this thread too.

Mike
Old 1 March 2020, 06:47 AM   #40
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hi again EEPro

I just wanted to let you know I called my SA at "Mayors" jewelers here in Orlando who sold me the watch last week. Asked him if they could do a regulation on site. He said of course! They have 14 stores in the region and the watchmaker makes rotations around. He'll be there next Tuesday and I made an appointment. It sounds so simple but I never even thought it could be done on site without sending it out. Thanks so much for raising that idea. Obviously I'm new to this and appreciate the kind help. Hopefully other newbies might learn something from this thread too.

Mike

Great! Take some data. The outputs are only as good as the inputs.
Old 4 March 2020, 11:31 PM   #41
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great! Take some data. The outputs are only as good as the inputs.
So I took the watch over to the AD (Mayors in Orlando). They tested it on the spot with their equipment and confirmed that it is losing up to 6 seconds at a pitched angle and 2 seconds laying flat. That seems to jive with my own measurements wearing it over the course of a day losing 3-4secs per day. Unfortunately they don't want to make the adjustments at this store. Said it was something about being a sky dweller that makes them want to take a pass on this. But they have 14 stores in the South East and have their own full service center in Miami that is Rolex certified to do any servicings under warranty . They would like to send it there to have it regulated and looked at. I'm going to take them up on that offer. Thanks again for suggesting I take this route EEpro

Mike
Old 5 March 2020, 12:38 AM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
So I took the watch over to the AD (Mayors in Orlando). They tested it on the spot with their equipment and confirmed that it is losing up to 6 seconds at a pitched angle and 2 seconds laying flat. That seems to jive with my own measurements wearing it over the course of a day losing 3-4secs per day. Unfortunately they don't want to make the adjustments at this store. Said it was something about being a sky dweller that makes them want to take a pass on this. But they have 14 stores in the South East and have their own full service center in Miami that is Rolex certified to do any servicings under warranty . They would like to send it there to have it regulated and looked at. I'm going to take them up on that offer. Thanks again for suggesting I take this route EEpro

Mike
Its your watch to do with what you want, but take my advice leave well alone your watch is fine.And just because they regulate it on a machine this dont mean if will perform exactly the same on the wrist.And will add to regulate a Skydweller is no different to regulate any other Rolex watch.Its all done by turning the microstella adjustment nuts on the balance wheel.Small one for one second large ones for 2 seconds but both must be balance opposite each other on balance wheel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 12:59 AM   #43
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Thanks Peter for your insights and cautionary words. This is not technically "broken" and like they say, if it aint broke don't fix it. I also understand this is not a quartz watch and its performance will vary based on activity. I don't think I would want to mail it out to Dallas or NY for a month or more just to get this adjusted. But they said they can bring it to Miami (not far away) and get it turned around in a week without any problem. So I'll let them adjust it this one time. I'm going on a 10 day trip next week so I won't do this until the end of the month anyway.

Mike