The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2018, 09:36 AM   #1
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on VC 4500v from a PP perspective?

Guys

I’m considering this as a potential replacement to my "dream" 5711 white.

I’ve called all ADs multiple times, and have been denied simply getting on a realistic wait list list. They all simply say no. (Anyone who'd recommend me for one? I'm a serious buyer, not a flipper)

During my research I found a potential candidate, a Vacheron Constantin 4500v in white.

Pros?

- Rubber strap ( I LOVE my 5167, and I think that I’d wear the 4500v with rubber)
- Overall strap changing system
- VC is a great brand
- Cost: $17k (from grey dealer) vs 45k NEW (28k delta)
- 150m water resistance
-

Cons?:

- It’s not a Nautilus
- It’s not PP which is my favorite brand
- Thicker 11mm vs 8.3 (this a big con )

What do you guys think?

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 11:47 AM   #2
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

have u tried on the 4500?
i had long followed the new gen overseas since it was released, really like the blue dial. but it wears similar to an ap 15400 (ie, altho technically 41, wears more like 42/43)... which can work on my 7in wrist, but i feel my sweet spot is true 40mm or less.

that said, u can't argue the value this model represents, especially in comparison to RO and nautilus - greater water resistance, impeccable finishing, 3 strap/bracelet options to change its personality from dressy to casual to sporty.

I'd still be open to getting a blue dial version (which i believe there is currently one listed in the classifieds), but i think pre-owned would be best given its less than stellar resale value.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 11:50 AM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

The only suitable replacement for a nautilus is a 15202 / 5402...... or a vintage Rolex lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 August 2018, 11:52 AM   #4
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
have u tried on the 4500?
i had long followed the new gen overseas since it was released, really like the blue dial. but it wears similar to an ap 15400 (ie, altho technically 41, wears more like 42/43)... which can work on my 7in wrist, but i feel my sweet spot is true 40mm or less.

that said, u can't argue the value this model represents, especially in comparison to RO and nautilus - greater water resistance, impeccable finishing, 3 strap/bracelet options to change its personality from dressy to casual to sporty.

I'd still be open to getting a blue dial version (which i believe there is currently one listed in the classifieds), but i think pre-owned would be best given its less than stellar resale value.
Thanks for your input tonupbklyn, very appreciated. It is true, it is a bit larger. I think I wouldn't consider it without the rubber strap. Somehow the rubber strap makes it seem more compact, and of course less heavy.

I'd love to know the weight of this, will try to do some searching.

I was able to find this at around 20% off MSRP brand new ($16.7k).

But the 5711 is still poking its head out at me.

Old 8 August 2018, 12:00 PM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

I want to like it as there's a lot going on for it, including the strap change system, micro adjustable bracelet, etc. But it's way too big for my tiny wrists. I've checked out and handled all the variants of the current gen Overseas and they're all way too clunky in comparison to the 5711, 5712 and 15202, they're more comparable to ROOs IMO.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post

I’ve called all ADs multiple times, and have been denied simply getting on a realistic wait list list. They all simply say no. (Anyone who'd recommend me for one? I'm a serious buyer, not a flipper)
Man, I am in the exact same boat. I’m dreaming of a white 5711 and have been treated like a homeless person asking for change at the various AD’s I’ve actually visited.

Since you have a 5167, you’ve got the best possible rubber strapped watch ever made, and the 5712 kills the Nautilus bug (or should for awhile at least)

I’d recommend a 15400 in that price range, the silver one especially. They can be found. Have you seen or tried one?
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Oh, and other alternatives to the white 5711 are much more available and affordable: the new white OP39 114300 and the Seiko Snowflake SBGA211.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:54 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t like the VCO design and likely never will. That said, this is one of the best examples of it to date.

If you must have the 5711 white just cough up the 10k premium and buy one. Who cares really at this point.
Old 8 August 2018, 01:03 PM   #9
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I have blue dial 4500v, it's nothing like the 5711. Both great watches, but one isn't a substitute for the other. The PP has a thin light easy not-really-masculine thing going on that the VC doesn't. The VC wears a lot bigger. I prefer it, but the market suggests I'm in a minority.

Love VC bracelet, only better finishing might be Royal oak (close.)

You wanted weight? 4500v watch-only is 79 grams. With bracelet sized for 7" wrist, doubles to 158 (nice solid bracelet.)

If you've worn the 5711 and want something like that, this isn't it (not sure what would suit in place, the 5711 is unique as far as I've seen.)
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 01:10 PM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don’t like the VCO design and likely never will. That said, this is one of the best examples of it to date.

If you must have the 5711 white just cough up the 10k premium and buy one. Who cares really at this point.

We haven’t gotten to the ‘if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em’ part yet - have we my friend!?! 🤣

Premiums - I can handle —- it’s like an ante — you pay to play — now, when it gets to 1.75 and 2x — I’m out.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 01:16 PM   #11
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

the overseas ultra thin model would actually be the more suitable alternative. however, i think VC made a huge error in judgment by offering this particular piece only in precious metal... and therefore relatively out of reach for most. if they offered in SS, i believe this would've been a great seller.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 01:56 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
We haven’t gotten to the ‘if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em’ part yet - have we my friend!?! 🤣

Premiums - I can handle —- it’s like an ante — you pay to play — now, when it gets to 1.75 and 2x — I’m out.

Unsurprisingly urban dictionary has this situation covered.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...what%20it%20is
Old 8 August 2018, 02:21 PM   #13
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I love the new blue dial overseas!
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 02:22 PM   #14
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

(credit gearpatrol.com

Old 8 August 2018, 03:09 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Neither. I will buy the 5711 blue.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 08:09 PM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Lots of positives but I'd only get this with the blue dial which is really deep and stunning, and very different to the Nautilus's hue. I'd also need a good discount so grey or used is the way to go.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 08:13 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

im a huge fan of the overseas. For that model i like the black and blue and then the white. Tried on the black a few weeks back.

It strikes me as a more sporty watch where as the 5711 is far more dressy. Cant go wrong with either but they wear different so are not direct replacements IMO

Micro adjustment on the clasp of the bracelet is excellent. Leather and Rubber options also, so its a whole lot of watch and its easy to get.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 08:45 PM   #18
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
have you checked out the AP Royal Oak?
Old 8 August 2018, 10:20 PM   #19
nikanarani
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im a huge fan of the overseas. For that model i like the black and blue and then the white. Tried on the black a few weeks back.

It strikes me as a more sporty watch where as the 5711 is far more dressy. Cant go wrong with either but they wear different so are not direct replacements imo

micro adjustment on the clasp of the bracelet is excellent. Leather and rubber options also, so its a whole lot of watch and its easy to get.

+1
nikanarani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 01:33 AM   #20
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
have you checked out the AP Royal Oak?
Ben

I used to have a 26320ST in blue, which I traded in towards my 5712. I really loved the watch itself, but wearing it was not comfortable.

I haven't tried on a 15400ST on, and I know I can get rubber straps for it as well.

Old 9 August 2018, 04:58 AM   #21
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Ben

I used to have a 26320ST in blue, which I traded in towards my 5712. I really loved the watch itself, but wearing it was not comfortable.

I haven't tried on a 15400ST on, and I know I can get rubber straps for it as well.

Try the AP 15400 as well. People already say the 15400 looks big on me, but to me I can get by with it. While I like the VC, it appeared even more bulky when I tried it on. Feels bigger and thicker.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 12:48 PM   #22
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Get the 11 or only replacement comparable is AP15202!
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 01:16 PM   #23
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Try the AP 15400 as well. People already say the 15400 looks big on me, but to me I can get by with it. While I like the VC, it appeared even more bulky when I tried it on. Feels bigger and thicker.
I felt the same way when i tried it on
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 04:04 PM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post

I didn’t think so. The chronograph wears like a 42 ROO though and not like a ROC but I felt the time/date overseas was a tad smaller than a RO with a bit more thickness. It wears smaller no question without the bracelet though and the bracelet is much chunkier so I guess it depends.

Much like the 5711 comparison it’s sportier than a RO too... if that’s a positive or negative depends on what niche the watch is filling

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 04:33 AM   #25
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
I'm a big fan of Vacheron Constantin...... Their workmanship is the BEST plus their design is up-to-date with all the good quality goodies......

But can't get over the weak resale value......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Have to agree with my friend here......

Vacheron Constantin will lose value over 10K or more if you were to sell it to the trusted seller..... Plus it harder to sell, if you were to sell it yourself......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:00 AM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You have a 5167 and a 5712, so the best Nautilus and the classic Aquanaut, since you like the style, ultra thin and in the 40mm area, I would consider the AP 15202, not the VC, easier to get than the PP equivalents, though not too easy, and they seem to be getting harder to get, I much prefer the ROO's, well some, not all, and when I got my 15300 understood it wasn't for me, don't know why but in comparison to the Nautilus I found it very pale, but some love them, or if you have the wrists for it, at least 16,5 inches and flat, a AP ROO is a great bet, you will probably be happy to have something a little bigger, I was also all for the ultra thin style, still am, but happy to have a ROO and really wanting to get a new Pepsi, I still prefer the thin watches but I think both styles are needed to be happy...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:46 AM   #27
pierson
"TRF" Member

I have to say, I have been though a lot of watches and just bought a 4500V (silver) and its amazing. There's something perfect about the quality/style relative to price.

The demand seems to outweigh supply right now, as all of the ADs I know have waitlists, but doubt we will ever see a resale-premium.
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:53 AM   #28
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I have a 4500V on order; its been 5 months and I have not gotten it =(

Go with the blue dial first and black second. The silver is only ok for me.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #29
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I've been debating one of these...I really like it...I was bidding on one and someone snuck in and bought it under me.

I find the 5711/5712 very light and like a heavier watch but VC is very underappreciated and fabulous watches.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #30
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I have a 4500V on order; its been 5 months and I have not gotten it =(

Go with the blue dial first and black second. The silver is only ok for me.
I have to say, I love the silver! To each their own, obviously.

Feels so understated and a bit retro.

All 3 are great.
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote