The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 February 2020, 06:18 AM   #1
AHG
"TRF" Member

Thinking about buying a 3940

So I'm dipping my toes into the world of Patek for the first time. I'm hesitant to enter the pre-owned market as I've always bought everything new. However, the 3940 is lovely and obviously out of production. There is one online I saw but the certificate of origin is dated Nov 2007. My understanding was the watch was produced through 2006. I guess it could've sat on the shelf for at least a year but was that common? Is there an easy way online to use the certificate of origin to confirm the production date?
Also the dealer says they've serviced it themselves. Is that a red flag for anyone? Do you only buy a piece serviced at Patek?
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.
Thanks for the help.
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
So I'm dipping my toes into the world of Patek for the first time. I'm hesitant to enter the pre-owned market as I've always bought everything new. However, the 3940 is lovely and obviously out of production. There is one online I saw but the certificate of origin is dated Nov 2007. My understanding was the watch was produced through 2006. I guess it could've sat on the shelf for at least a year but was that common? Is there an easy way online to use the certificate of origin to confirm the production date?
Also the dealer says they've serviced it themselves. Is that a red flag for anyone? Do you only buy a piece serviced at Patek?
Thanks for the help.
"Dealer serviced it himself" is very vague. Depending on the dealer and what was done, I'd potentially have some concern. I can't think of an independent dealer I'd trust with a PC, but I'm sure there must be some out there.

Production date of 2007 is not a concern. For future reference, Patek has a 4 letter code at the bottom of the COO that corresponds with the month/year of production.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:12 AM   #3
AHG
"TRF" Member

Don't think I know where that 4 letter code is even after trying to look at a few COO's.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have bought a few 240Q movement based watches in the 36mm size from reliable dealers and all have been spot on. Buy the dealer not the watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't think I know where that 4 letter code is even after trying to look at a few COO's.
Bottom left, just below the date of sale.

Patek later stopped providing this information so newer certificates won't have it, but I think for 2006-2007 and earlier it should be there.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I have bought a few 240Q movement based watches in the 36mm size from reliable dealers and all have been spot on. Buy the dealer not the watch.
Agree with you. The cal 240 is one of Patek's most reliable.
Old 27 February 2020, 02:13 PM   #7
Henry.hoe
"TRF" Member

Thinking about the PP3940? Go for it! “It’s A Great watch. One of the best PP perpetual calender and the thinest perpetual you can find in the market. Can’t go wrong with this ne!
Henry.hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:55 PM   #8
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

I have a 3940. The dial is legible and it’s thin for a PC. Buy from a dealer with 2-year warranty for piece of mind.

Can always request an ‘extract from the archives’ from Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:50 AM   #9
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The 3940 exudes old world charm and patek dna.

As others have said, it's important tio buy the seller.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:56 AM   #10
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
Fantastic watch that has an indescribable charm all it's own.
It's almost a classy counter-reaction to today's desperate need for blingtastic status signalling.....
On the rare occasions I have seem someone wearing one, I just can't help but respect them.
Go for it.

BTW- ONLY Patek should service/valet a Patek. I won't touch anything that is otherwise.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:49 AM   #11
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Fantastic watch that has an indescribable charm all it's own.
It's almost a classy counter-reaction to today's desperate need for blingtastic status signalling.....
On the rare occasions I have seem someone wearing one, I just can't help but respect them.
Go for it.

BTW- ONLY Patek should service/valet a Patek. I won't touch anything that is otherwise.
That last part I'm finding out is harder than I thought. Seems like a lot of sellers have their own master watchmaker they use, which I translate into saving money and time of not sending to Patek.
Old 28 February 2020, 03:02 AM   #12
AHG
"TRF" Member

I'm realizing the last part isn't so easy. Seems like every dealer has their own "master watchmaker" that services the watches. To me that sounds like a quicker and cheaper way to pass the watch along. Occasionally I've seen one with the Patek service letter.
Old 28 February 2020, 12:01 PM   #13
AHG
"TRF" Member

I also noticed that the Geneve seal is on different parts of the movement pieces on different watches. Is this common?
Old 29 February 2020, 06:27 AM   #14
AHG
"TRF" Member

This is what I mean....on this watch it's the left on "Patek Philippe" and on most it's to the right. Is this common to have such variation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geneve seal.jpg (220.6 KB, 282 views)
Old 29 February 2020, 10:34 AM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
The 3940 exudes old world charm and patek dna.

As others have said, it's important tio buy the seller.
Exactly this. I love mine
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 10:53 AM   #16
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is what I mean....on this watch it's the left on "Patek Philippe" and on most it's to the right. Is this common to have such variation?

I said that backwards.

Old 29 February 2020, 06:05 PM   #17
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Never have anyone or buy a piece that has been worked on other than PP ! Lesson learned
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 09:45 AM   #18
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I would be a bit suspect with the dealer servicing a grand complication, unless it is the Patek salon or something.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #19
Offline99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5164a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I would be a bit suspect with the dealer servicing a grand complication, unless it is the Patek salon or something.
Me too. This is a unique, top of the line movement that I would only trust the manufacturer to service.
Offline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:03 PM   #20
jef33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Bottom left, just below the date of sale.

Patek later stopped providing this information so newer certificates won't have it, but I think for 2006-2007 and earlier it should be there.

Yes they are there,
mine september 2006 PEPR = 03/06,
P 0
a 1
t 2
e 3
k 4
h 5
r 6
o 7
n 8
s 9
jef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:31 AM   #21
AHG
"TRF" Member

Awesome info. Another question: I see a lot of 5140s available in new old stock. The only difference being size of case and squished dates, it seems like a good option. A handful on Chrono 24.com dealers. What's your experience with new old stock. Is that a common thing?

Old 2 March 2020, 04:38 PM   #22
Offline99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5164a
Quote:
Awesome info. Another question: I see a lot of 5140s available in new old stock. The only difference being size of case and squished dates, it seems like a good option. A handful on Chrono 24.com dealers. What's your experience with new old stock. Is that a common thing?

I think it’s common, esp for that model since it’s a high price and controversial design. I’m a fan tho.

Offline99 is offline   Reply With Quote