The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 April 2017, 05:09 AM   #1
speed_dmon
"TRF" Member

Possible magnetism?

I am having a few issues with my Wife's Datejust 31 (178274).
Background: It was bought from a trusted seller in 2015 but original papers were stamped 2013.
First of all, it is running out of COSC. I usually track the time over at least a period of a month and when I first started keeping a record of it, almost a year ago, it was at +10s/day. As months went by and after multiple resets n observations, today it is around +19s/day over a month, I suspect magnetism.

To aggravate the situation more, every time I went to hack the seconds and align the minute hand to the correct minute index, my rate of success was low in that every time I would push the crown back in to engage the seconds hand again, the minute hand would budge out of place and I would have to do it over again.

Whenever I hack the seconds and restart on my 116334 and 16710, the minute hand stays exactly how I line it up. Is my wife's DJ showing symptoms of a more serious issue than magnetism?

I appreciate any wisdom provided
speed_dmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_dmon View Post
Background: It was bought from a trusted seller in 2015 but original papers were stamped 2013.
First of all, it is running out of COSC. I usually track the time over at least a period of a month and when I first started keeping a record of it, almost a year ago, it was at +10s/day. As months went by and after multiple resets n observations, today it is around +19s/day over a month, I suspect magnetism.

To aggravate the situation more, every time I went to hack the seconds and align the minute hand to the correct minute index, my rate of success was low in that every time I would push the crown back in to engage the seconds hand again, the minute hand would budge out of place and I would have to do it over again.

Whenever I hack the seconds and restart on my 116334 and 16710, the minute hand stays exactly how I line it up. Is my wife's DJ showing symptoms of a more serious issue than magnetism?

It sounds like there's a lack of lubricating on the setting mechanism. It could be "dry" which would explain the poor timekeeping as well, but that's very premature if its a 2013. It's hard to tell without actually evaluating the movement.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2017, 12:22 PM   #3
speed_dmon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
It sounds like there's a lack of lubricating on the setting mechanism. It could be "dry" which would explain the poor timekeeping as well, but that's very premature if its a 2013. It's hard to tell without actually evaluating the movement.

Thank you very much for the input Vanessa! Would this warrant a full service?
Old 12 April 2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Thank you very much for the input Vanessa! Would this warrant a full service?
Yes, unfortunately

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:

Please, who was the trusted seller?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 08:27 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Well today magnetised is sometimes a cop out for nothing more than simple regulation.Yes when a movement gets magnetised in general they do speed up,and most times run very very erratic.They could speed up by minutes or even a hour or stop and refuse to start.Myself would doubt if its magnetised just needs simple regulation,but if magnetised very simple to de-magnetise.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 15 April 2017 at 11:41 PM..
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 10:01 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Take it in and let someone who knows have a look at it. It will not take long and you will know.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 12:26 AM   #8
speed_dmon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswisssteel View Post
Please, who was the trusted seller?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
PM'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well today magnetised is sometimes a cop out for nothing more than simple regulation.Yes when a movement gets magnetised in general they do speed up,and most times run very very erratic.They could speed up by minutes or even a hour or stop and refuse to start.Myself would doubt if its magnetised just needs simple regulation,but if magnetised very simple to de-magnetise.
At first, I did want to just have it regulated but the way the minute hand would not always hold position when pushing the crown back in was a bit concerning to me. I will find out once a watchmaker opens her up.