The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 18 April 2017, 08:35 PM   #1
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Post moved query

Hey guys,

Just PM'd Old Expat Beast as one of my posts has been moved and was wondering why, he said he wasnt sure but to post in this section to ask.

I was looking for advice on selling my old watch, where to list, how to go about it etc without getting burned and looking for knowledge from those on the forum who had done this previously, but its now been shifted to an area I cant see.

It wasnt a sales post in the wrong section, no pictures or pricing was even included - I made sure of that. I'd also donated to become a pledge member as the first port of call was to advertise on here then elsewhere if no-one local to me in Scotland/UK was interested, so Im not sure why its been moved or what went wrong.

Many thanks for your assistance guys, love the forum!

Rikki
DJRikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 12:33 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I saw your thread and I am not sure but you may have been in violation of rule 4(ii)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=11242

Asking "how" to sell is not the same as asking about the value, which I believe I saw. I could be wrong.

In any event if you look at the sale forums it would give you an idea how sellers go about selling a watch.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:52 AM   #3
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I saw your thread and I am not sure but you may have been in violation of rule 4(ii)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=11242

Asking "how" to sell is not the same as asking about the value, which I believe I saw. I could be wrong.

In any event if you look at the sale forums it would give you an idea how sellers go about selling a watch.

Good luck.
Hey bud,

Thanks for the reply. I didnt ask about the value, one of the members asked me how much my local AD had offered and I replied but it was a low ball figure on their part and I know how much I want for the watch so definitely didnt fall foul there.

I didnt get a PM about an infraction either, no PM at all which was why I went asking what had happened.

Love the forum and know how tricky a job it is being a mod or admin - you're all doing a very good job keeping things on track.

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Rikki
Old 19 April 2017, 01:58 AM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I saw and replied to your thread.
My guess is it was closed/moved due to you "saying you had a watch for sale", especially before being a pledge member.
The thread could have been perceived as a sales ad, as members could reach out to you via PM to complete a sale.
Either way, now that you're a pledge member you may as well make a For Sale thread (if you haven't already).
Good luck
Old 19 April 2017, 04:59 AM   #5
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
My guess is it was closed/moved due to you "saying you had a watch for sale", especially before being a pledge member.
The thread could have been perceived as a sales ad, as members could reach out to you via PM to complete a sale.
Either way, now that you're a pledge member you may as well make a For Sale thread (if you haven't already).
Good luck
Thanks MJ, in the process of doing so just now fella :)

Rikki
Old 19 April 2017, 07:26 AM   #6
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Good luck
Bingo!!

Rikki's thread walked a fine line... The intention may not have been to sell, but it did gain views, thus promoting that fact! This essentially, meaning to or not, skirts the rules of the forum..
OP got the attention he needed, was offered via PM a buyer, all without pledging, or following the expected rules of this forum. Thus circumventing the decorum allowed here.

If we allowed everyone to do this, there would be thousands of one hit posters flooding this forum asking the same question, only really attempting to entice a sale without any real intention to be a legitimate member to the forum. That's without even mentioning the further influx of the scum that come to scam!

That is why, asking how to sell, where to sell, how much, what to do with, are all removed. Regardless of the actual intent!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 08:00 AM   #7
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

It wasnt my intention to sell at all at that point - Ive just never sold a watch before and have heard so many stories of people being burned I wanted to get knowledge.

Some of the comments were golden nuggets such as meeting at a bank or watchmaker, being under CCTV etc. Things that sound like common sense but I was oblivious to.

The PM was from a new friend who I helped buy a Tudor last Monday (and posted about) and I had pledged but it hadnt yet been processed.

Would it be possible to do a copy and paste of the textual content of the post to a PM for me as I neglected to note down everything that was mentioned and ive tried to access it via the history function in Chrome here but to no avail :(

Totally get where you are coming from too with idiots using forums for their own means. I ran a phpBB setup from 2000 until a couple of years ago and the tales I could tell about scallywags would keep everyone entertained! :D

Thanks

Rikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Bingo!!

Rikki's thread walked a fine line... The intention may not have been to sell, but it did gain views, thus promoting that fact! This essentially, meaning to or not, skirts the rules of the forum..
OP got the attention he needed, was offered via PM a buyer, all without pledging, or following the expected rules of this forum. Thus circumventing the decorum allowed here.

If we allowed everyone to do this, there would be thousands of one hit posters flooding this forum asking the same question, only really attempting to entice a sale without any real intention to be a legitimate member to the forum. That's without even mentioning the further influx of the scum that come to scam!

That is why, asking how to sell, where to sell, how much, what to do with, are all removed. Regardless of the actual intent!
Old 19 April 2017, 08:50 AM   #8
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Bingo!!

Exactly Rob and that's why I pretty much always remove them. Whether OP's intention or not it still is advertising that you are going to sell watch.

To Rikki:

I removed the thread after I let it run its course for a bit. You got your infortmation and your last post said you were going to list it here. That's when it was removed. So now you know and we can't moderate intentions.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 09:07 AM   #9
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Exactly Rob and that's why I pretty much always remove them. Whether OP's intention or not it still is advertising that you are going to sell watch.

To Rikki:

I removed the thread after I let it run its course for a bit. You got your infortmation and your last post said you were going to list it here. That's when it was removed. So now you know and we can't moderate intentions.
Fair comment bud. I'd got the replies I wanted, just hadnt noted them down and didnt know it was going to be moved. I was going to refer back to it once I had scripted an advert and got my photos in order plus pledge status had been added to my account.

Just added you insta there and nearly choked when I saw you have 100k followers :O Now to check through you 3000 posts :D

Cheers fella

Rikki
Old 19 April 2017, 10:28 AM   #10
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Actually, if the admins don't mind, can we get a couple of these points stickied, just around meeting at an safe location, and other common sense bits. Think of it as public service announcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rami_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 10:05 PM   #11
Lol-x
Facilitator

There are so many stickies at the top of the various forums, it is getting crazy.

There are rules already in stickies so I don't think we need any more.

Moreover, you can post rules all day long, but people still seem to overlook them so it isn't a case where any more public service announcements will make a difference, believe me after 10 years we know.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 10:47 PM   #12
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
There are so many stickies at the top of the various forums, it is getting crazy.

There are rules already in stickies so I don't think we need any more.

Moreover, you can post rules all day long, but people still seem to overlook them so it isn't a case where any more public service announcements will make a difference, believe me after 10 years we know.

Fair enough. I can't say that I have read all the stickies so it could already be there for all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rami_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 11:48 PM   #13
LeonardL
"TRF" Member

moved post

Hi,
Same thing happened to me today, I was asking for help in finding information about a Rolex Stop watch. I never said I was selling it.
my post said it was moved. I didn't receive any messages that I violated any rules here and I don't know what exactly I did wrong.
Thank you
Leo
LeonardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 11:56 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardL View Post
Hi,
Same thing happened to me today, I was asking for help in finding information about a Rolex Stop watch. I never said I was selling it.
my post said it was moved. I didn't receive any messages that I violated any rules here and I don't know what exactly I did wrong.
Thank you
Leo
It was moved to the vintage section where it should have been posted.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:20 AM   #15
LeonardL
"TRF" Member

Thank you!! for letting me know
LeonardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:30 AM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardL View Post
Thank you!! for letting me know
Yes, it was moved to the appropriate forum, bcause it is a vintage piece. I also removd your thread asking the same question as you asked here, because it was redundant by the time it was cleared. Don't worry, you'll soon get the hang of it
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 03:29 AM   #17
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

I had another post disappear yesterday (or today, it was gone by the time I went to check it).

I'd posted up asking for peoples recommendations on any resources for watches on youtube, I even listed a load for people who might be interested including one that specifically called out TRF as being one of the best online resources, but its nowhere to be found today and no PM about doing anything wrong?
Old 21 April 2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRikki View Post
I had another post disappear yesterday (or today, it was gone by the time I went to check it).

I'd posted up asking for peoples recommendations on any resources for watches on youtube, I even listed a load for people who might be interested including one that specifically called out TRF as being one of the best online resources, but its nowhere to be found today and no PM about doing anything wrong?
You didn't do anything wrong. That thread turned into a discussion about someone who is persona non grata around here. Best just leave it at that.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 10:56 AM   #19
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Ah ok. No worries. Thanks for clearing that one up as I was genuinely thinking "what have I done this time". Having a good week online eh :)