The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 April 2017, 07:00 PM   #1
d8mok
"TRF" Member

Tudor to Rolex upgrade

Good morning everyone,

First post on here as im now looking into buying my first Rolex.

I purchased a Tudor black bay with a black bezel and in house movement in October last year for a present to myself for my upcoming wedding in July.

However i've found myself repeatedly looking at no-date sub's. Since this watch is one to keep forever i'm thinking of selling mine and getting the watch id be 100% happy with prior to the wedding. My thoughts are that in a few years to come i may regret not getting the sub and buy one anyway which takes away the meaning of its purchase a bit.

My Tudor is now advertised so hopefully i should be able to buy a sub once it sells. Whats the chances of walking into a AD and walking out with one before July? Ive read online that sometimes a 5% discount can be achieved too? A colleague purcahsed one around a year ago and was offered a 5% discount or 0% finance.

My other option is to buy whilst abroad. My future wife is Spanish so we travel to Madrid , and Salamanca quite a bit. Is it a worthwhile saving to buy in Spain?

The other alternative is to buy whilst on our honeymoon, which is Sri Lanka, and Maldives. Im slightly more nervous about this option.

Thanks
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:20 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
IMHO the only upgrade is the price and whether you just wear the name on the dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Hotrod297
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats on the nuptials, and soon to be ND owner.
Old 26 April 2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Personally, I'd buy the Sub at a local AD making sure the staff and the manager get to know me as a potential repeat customer. I'd insure the watch before leaving on the trip. I'd take a copy of the bill of sale with me to show to customs officials in case they ask about your new watch. I always take a black plastic watch to wear when in areas where a nice watch might draw unwanted attention. If I leave nice stuff at the hotel, I ask the staff to put in the hotel safe, not the room safe.

By taking these actions, you can devote your full attention on making your bride happy.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO the only upgrade is the price and whether you just wear the name on the dial.
Agreed

Prefer the BB.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:47 PM   #6
perry731
"TRF" Member

I would say no if you had a Tudor BBN 79220N. But since yours is 79230N, I think you should go for an upgrade to Rolex Sub. Happy wedding.
perry731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 08:02 PM   #7
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
X2. :cheers

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 08:59 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you want a Rolex ND Sub you can not pick a better watch. I have owned several and believe it can be the cornerstone of a good collection. The last one I owned was traded and replaced with a Tudor Black Bay Black with the in-house movement and riveted bracelet. It is a ND Sub and for me took my ND Subs place very well. I also wear it on the OEM strap and NATO. I picked up a Hulk so I do have a Rolex Submariner in the collection. I know the feeling of wanting Rolex but if I was a younger collector I would utilized Tudor, save some money and have a deeper collection. I would keep what you have and enjoy it. Give the watch a year or two on the wrist and find something else that may work from Rolex or Tudor and have a two watch collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161013_160553.jpg (83.2 KB, 894 views)
File Type: jpg 20170205_160151.jpg (83.9 KB, 903 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:44 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Agreed

Prefer the BB.

Not sure if I agree. Some things come to mind.....

* bracelet
* clasp
* ceramic insert
* size (width and thinness)
* known track record of movement
* value retention
* ease of re-sale

Up to the poster if these are worth the extra cost.

(Congrats on the upcoming wedding, by the way!)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

* bracelet
* clasp
* ceramic insert
* re-sale

im in this ballpark. i get both points of view.

i prefer the pelagos over the SDC. for those reasons. (longer PR, better clasp, better bezel, better lume, chamfered lugs, fits better to my wrist, price)

however, i prefer the 114060 over the bb. (better clasp, better bezel, like the feel of the bracelet and tapering, butter smooth crown)

if i were the OP i'd keep the BB and get a 114060. both can coexist.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:50 PM   #11
d8mok
"TRF" Member

thanks for the warm welcome. I doubt id be able to keep the BB aswell as the Sub. Already had a few offers on my BB but not quite what im wanting but it seems it should sell.
Old 26 April 2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by d8mok View Post
thanks for the warm welcome. I doubt id be able to keep the BB aswell as the Sub. Already had a few offers on my BB but not quite what im wanting but it seems it should sell.
it will, sought after watch and great bang for the buck.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:53 PM   #13
dr.fiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-D, Sky-D
I guess you have already answered the question about the upgrade yourself; DO IT

If you can get a VAT refund, it'll be hard to beat the price you'll get in Spain...
dr.fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

* bracelet
* clasp
* ceramic insert
* value retention
* ease of re-sale

If we talk about the (tried and tested for several decades) ETA 2824 BB, I don't really see any of your advantages above, except maybe the clasp. Both watches are virtually the same thickness (12.5 and 12.7mm) and the BB bracelet flows into the watch case much better than on the SubC. Buy right and you can easily sell the BB, which costs half as much as the SubC, for little or no loss. And plenty of people prefer the aluminium inserts over ceramics.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... the BB, which costs half as much as the SubC ...
You can also find many models for 1/60th of the SubC price, that give the exact same time ... but that's not a Rolex
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:14 PM   #16
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
This is all it really comes down to.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:20 PM   #17
drummerdunc
"TRF" Member

It's a funny thing...
I went to an AD last October to try on a Tudor BB and actually came out with a brand new SubC Date (miraculously they had a new SS Sub in stock). However, so alluring was the Tudor BB (Burgundy bezel) that I could not stop thinking about it and treated myself to one at Christmas. So I kind of did in reverse what the OP is planning on doing (without selling the Sub though). I love both the Sub and the BB to bits.
drummerdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:26 PM   #18
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If we talk about the (tried and tested for several decades) ETA 2824 BB, I don't really see any of your advantages above, except maybe the clasp. Both watches are virtually the same thickness (12.5 and 12.7mm) and the BB bracelet flows into the watch case much better than on the SubC. Buy right and you can easily sell the BB, which costs half as much as the SubC, for little or no loss. And plenty of people prefer the aluminium inserts over ceramics.

I'm the first one to say that a top grade ETA movement is great and sometimes even preferable to an "in house" movement. But, anyway, the OP said he bought an in-house BB, hence my comment in my list.

Not sure what you mean by the "flow" of the bracelet, unless you mean the lugs? Well, that's personal preference, as many, myself included, quite prefer the thicker lugs, both for visual appearance for a sports watch and form (more substance to polish over the long life of the watch). Sales of Submariners don't lie....

As for buying "right", there's a lot more pressure to buy the BB "right", as it depreciates much more. And this ignores appreciation, which is surely much less over time for the Tudor. But, for a life-time watch, not a concern, I suppose...

As for the inserts, that's another TRF "dead horse" like the lugs, but, I am very confident that outside of the small "curmudgeon crew" of TRF, the vast majority of regular consumers prefer the upgrades of scratch and fade resistance of the ceramics to the aluminum inserts. Furthermore, I would think 0.001% of the public would choose a BB over a Sub due to the insert material....

After all this, if it were me, I would probably just keep the BB (looks great on a strap) and add a 116610LV to make an awesome pair.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:53 PM   #19
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Rolex led me to Tudor. Tudor takes no back seat with me. Just my thoughts.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:56 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Pretty good chance of finding one at a UK AD now, call around a few ADs and do so regularly, find out when their delivery dates are. Not worth buying abroad as the pound is so weak it will cost you more unless you can get 10-15% discount in Spain.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:58 PM   #21
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
If you think you're going to get it eventually anyway, you may as well get it now and wear it at the wedding. Making memories always makes things better
Old 26 April 2017, 10:59 PM   #22
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post
You can also find many models for 1/60th of the SubC price, that give the exact same time ... but that's not a Rolex
Nor is it a Tudor.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:03 PM   #23
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Skip the AD and buy from a trusted seller on TRF.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:08 PM   #24
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nor is it a Tudor.
You're right ... Tudor are too expensive
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:09 PM   #25
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I think you should go ahead and flip the BB for the Sub.

It seems like you have already made up your mind and won't be happy keeping the BB.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:12 PM   #26
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Taking a step back, this isn't just a simple flip/purchase for you .. you are getting married and as you point out this watch will be with you forever and have great sentimental value... therefore I agree with your logic of selling the BB if you are not totally happy with it, and buying the Sub. I would buy the sub at home assuming you can find it even if you pay full MRSP, so that you can have on your wedding day. Btw, congrats on both your engagement and upcoming purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:18 PM   #27
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
I am in the minority but I am not a fan of the black bay to say the least. I would upgrade now. That way your wedding watch will be special for two reasons, it's your wedding and your current grail.
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:26 PM   #28
Northcap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycnyp View Post
I am in the minority but I am not a fan of the black bay to say the least. I would upgrade now. That way your wedding watch will be special for two reasons, it's your wedding and your current grail.
Agree. I think the hands ruin the look.

If it was me, I would contact David or Thann and buy from either. I've bought two watches with stickers from David at significant discounts over AD prices. Unless you just have to have the AD experience, I would go this route. FWIW the watches came with my name on the warranty card as well.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:27 PM   #29
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Not a fan of Tudor. Upgrade away!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:31 PM   #30
d8mok
"TRF" Member

Yes you've hit the nail on the head. I want to cherish it forever with no doubtsin my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Taking a step back, this isn't just a simple flip/purchase for you .. you are getting married and as you point out this watch will be with you forever and have great sentimental value... therefore I agree with your logic of selling the BB if you are not totally happy with it, and buying the Sub. I would buy the sub at home assuming you can find it even if you pay full MRSP, so that you can have on your wedding day. Btw, congrats on both your engagement and upcoming purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro