The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2020, 05:18 PM   #1
mjr24
Banned

Scratches? Does movement need to be removed to polish caseback?

I am looking at a watch that has some minor hairline marks, scratches, etc. on the case back.

Two things....
1-I can't say I've ever had any scratches on the case backs of any of my watches. Why would a watch have markings there?

2-I do remember when I went to have my Breitling polished at the AD, they claimed they could not polish the case, at all, without removing the movement....and that basically it had to be sent to Breitling to do this (because you could mess up the movement otherwise). They had no issues polishing the bracelet. I had multiple AD's tell me this same thing.....I asked around (as I had never heard that before....about having to remove the movement). Now, for what it's worth....I had a see-through caseback on my Breitling Navitimer....not sure if this had anything to do with it.

3-Is this something I need to worry about on polishing the caseback of a Rolex (is there a chance of messing up the movement)?
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 05:29 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Scratches? Does movement need to be removed to polish caseback?

1. You can easily get minor scuffs and scratches on the caseback. For example, when you rest your watch on the clasp.

2. To polish the watch case, the movement has to be removed from within to avoid damage. I imagine it’s also much more manageable by the polishing tech in this form

The bracelet can be separated from the watch case hence why it can be freely polished without affecting the movement.

3. You can drag your case back on your preferred grit sand paper without having to remove the caseback if you wish.

Honestly. Why bother? It’s the back of the case that never gets seen.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 05:34 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I am looking at a watch that has some minor hairline marks, scratches, etc. on the case back.

Two things....
1-I can't say I've ever had any scratches on the case backs of any of my watches. Why would a watch have markings there?

2-I do remember when I went to have my Breitling polished at the AD, they claimed they could not polish the case, at all, without removing the movement....and that basically it had to be sent to Breitling to do this (because you could mess up the movement otherwise). They had no issues polishing the bracelet. I had multiple AD's tell me this same thing.....I asked around (as I had never heard that before....about having to remove the movement). Now, for what it's worth....I had a see-through caseback on my Breitling Navitimer....not sure if this had anything to do with it.

3-Is this something I need to worry about on polishing the caseback of a Rolex (is there a chance of messing up the movement)?
Take my advice leave it alone, who is going to see any scratches on the case back for gods sake.All scratches on all Rolex watches should be left to normal routine service only every 5-10 years depending on use.And I am sure that a few case back scratches will have no effect in the running of your watch, for the only function it has to tell the time face up on your wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 05:39 PM   #4
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Take my advice leave it alone, who is going to see any scratches on the case back for gods sake.All scratches on all Rolex watches should be left to normal routine service only every 5-10 years depending on use.And I am sure that a few case back scratches will have no effect in the running of your watch, for the only function it has to tell the time face up on your wrist.
Ditto, I have scratches on my case back and it's from when the bracelet meets the case back when I've not worn it and put it away without a watch holder and one of them spongy things. I just leave it and it adds character to my watch.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 07:07 PM   #5
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
If the condition of the watch as it is bothers you, don't buy it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #6
mjr24
Banned

No that’s a good point....that resting it on the clasp can scratch it. I just wasn’t sure if that was normal. I never put my watch that way so I hadn’t experienced these marks.

Condition is great from a trusted seller....just wanted to make sure it wasn’t odd to have marks on case back but not really on rest of watch (and it hasn’t been polished).
Old 22 April 2020, 06:18 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Case back scratches can also occur if a NATO strap was used and grit got between the strap and the case back.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Ntoz
Banned

Don't buy it if you are not satisfied
Ntoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:35 AM   #9
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

My caseback got scratched by Rolex RSC during warranty service. Go figure. I live with it. Would be happier if done by me.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Dahh
Banned

If you won't be comfortable looking at it, don't buy it
Dahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 08:10 AM   #11
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
My caseback got scratched by Rolex RSC during warranty service. Go figure. I live with it. Would be happier if done by me.
That happened to me sent it back and they fixed it!
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 08:57 AM   #12
mjr24
Banned

Actually I looked at my 116710LN just now and do some see some surface scratches on the caseback.

Actually, here is the back of the exact watch I am looking at.....look harmless?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolexback1.jpg (61.4 KB, 301 views)
Old 22 April 2020, 09:02 AM   #13
supacarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
My AD made a faint 5x1mm scratch against the brush grain on the back of my PM sub when I had them verify the authenticity of my purchase. I don't really worry too much about it.

I do however always keep my watches on my custom watch stand at night so the back of my watch doesn't get dinged up more by setting the case against the bracelet. I generally try to take care of my watch but don't concern myself when incidental injuries occur.
supacarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 09:43 AM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I don't like scratches, gouges etc. on my watches. But on the other hand I am not going to worry about every little thing. If really thats the way you are a G-Shock is the watch to get. Just my opinion.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 09:55 AM   #15
JimBianchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP39 Blue
The side of one on my Tudor’s got a minor scratch and I used a cape cod cloth to polish it out. Took a bit, but looks brand new.
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:03 AM   #16
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Polish a caseback? Congratulations, you’ve reached a new level!

Old 22 April 2020, 10:43 AM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

This is how I store mine. Even being OCD careful there are a few fine scratches on the case back. Stuff happens

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 11:11 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Case back scratches can also occur if a NATO strap was used and grit got between the strap and the case back.
Good point Tim
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 11:27 AM   #19
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
All my watches have scratches on the case back on the lugs,
even if your are very careful when playing with straps and NATOs this happens...

On the other hand, I’ve heard movement has to be removed when polishing the case since there is a lot of vibrations going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 12:21 PM   #20
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Quote:
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:05 PM   #21
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
If you can remove the case back, rebrush the finish and then replace the case back, why would you need to remove the movement?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:20 PM   #22
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:35 PM   #23
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Actually I looked at my 116710LN just now and do some see some surface scratches on the caseback.

Actually, here is the back of the exact watch I am looking at.....look harmless?
I can't tell from the photo but there might be some scratches on the lug backs from the bracelet being removed. But the caseback for a used watch seems fine.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote