The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2024, 10:48 PM   #1
metallic
"TRF" Member

Manual wind Perpetual Calendar?

I recently saw an absolutely beautiful Patek manual wind perpetual calendar. While an incredible watch, I cannot imagine keeping up with it. Once the date gets out of sync due to not keeping it wound, then it's pusher time to restore the date. I know many collectors like interacting with their watches, but that seems more like a job than a joy to me.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:14 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Every morning when I open my watchbox, I see an absolutely beautiful Patek manual wind perpetual calendar. It's never a chore to wake it up and I love doing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240308_211127_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg (207.4 KB, 731 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:22 PM   #3
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I think it depends how many manual wind watches one owns and also that a beautiful Perp Cal watch such as the 5320G or an IWC Perp Cal which can be left on winders offer instant no hassle wear.

There is no question that Ichiran’s Perp Cal might make one green with envy but I found that for the same sort of money one could also buy a 5230g pairing with a 5172G providing more choice and less of a hit in the event of street robbery.

As ever, each to their own.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:35 PM   #4
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Every morning when I open my watchbox, I see an absolutely beautiful Patek manual wind perpetual calendar. It's never a chore to wake it up and I love doing it.
Oh yeah? Then why is it six days behind?

That really is a beauty. Excuse my ignorance, but does one have to unscrew the crown to wind it, or does the crown just wind from its resting position?
Old 8 March 2024, 11:51 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That really is a beauty. Excuse my ignorance, but does one have to unscrew the crown to wind it, or does the crown just wind from its resting position?
Thanks
For the 5270, there is no need to unscrew the crown. It winds from position 0. To adjust time, just pluck it out and turn.

There is a very simply way to adjust these manual PC. Ignore those sequences in the manual. The only rule we need to remember is to adjust the time to 6am using the crown. The rest of the adjustments could be done trial and error if you cannot remember which pushers are for which function. It is all fine when all the adjustments are done at 6am (there is no damage to the movement at 6am).
Old 9 March 2024, 12:13 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I’m certain it never gets boring. Absolutely beautiful
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 12:31 AM   #7
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks
For the 5270, there is no need to unscrew the crown. It winds from position 0. To adjust time, just pluck it out and turn.

There is a very simply way to adjust these manual PC. Ignore those sequences in the manual. The only rule we need to remember is to adjust the time to 6am using the crown. The rest of the adjustments could be done trial and error if you cannot remember which pushers are for which function. It is all fine when all the adjustments are done at 6am (there is no damage to the movement at 6am).

Thx for that reminder.
I bought a manual perp (5270) earlier this year. I thought it would be a problem keeping up with it but it’s been fun. No stress. Although I’ve been able to keep up with it this far, if it gets way off, and it prob will, I’ll just set the time and go. I don’t need to have everything else set to wear it.
It’s more manageable than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 12:48 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m certain it never gets boring. Absolutely beautiful
Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Thx for that reminder.
I bought a manual perp (5270) earlier this year. I thought it would be a problem keeping up with it but it’s been fun. No stress. Although I’ve been able to keep up with it this far, if it gets way off, and it prob will, I’ll just set the time and go. I don’t need to have everything else set to wear it.
There are no rules. My moonphase is off most of the time.
Old 9 March 2024, 01:28 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Its a joy for me.

The 5270 I keep wound because I wear it quite often, a lot of time for breakfast or lunch before swapping. I wind it each day, no chore, its been running for years, its actually only +10sec as well.

Watches are a bit of a hobby for me, so I like interacting with them and I prefer manually wound watches and have probably 10+ chronographs all manually wound.
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 01:38 AM   #10
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Incredible piece!
Old 9 March 2024, 02:10 AM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
Incredible piece!
Thank you
Old 9 March 2024, 02:23 AM   #12
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My God, that watch is amazing.
Old 9 March 2024, 02:41 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Thanks

Thanks Michael.
Old 9 March 2024, 03:28 AM   #14
Tenshou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the red straps. They really stand out!
Tenshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 03:30 AM   #15
Tenshou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Thx for that reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're similar. Just like you, I just set the time and go. Dealing with more complicated movements can really be a hassle when it comes to setting these things.
Tenshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 08:22 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Thanks

I always suspected the sequence was not vital, but the PP instructions say it is.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 10:39 AM   #17
metallic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very beautiful watch. Congrats on owning it.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 11:19 AM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj17 View Post
My God, that watch is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshou View Post
Love the red straps. They really stand out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic View Post
Very beautiful watch. Congrats on owning it.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I always suspected the sequence was not vital, but the PP instructions say it is.
The only sequence that matters is setting the time at 6am before doing the other adjustments
Old 9 March 2024, 01:23 PM   #19
patlex
"TRF" Member

If i'm in a rush, i would just set the time. For the others, i leave it as it has come to a point the day and month are simply not as legible to me as i was in the past.

On those days where i have some free time on hand, i will just set everything as per PP's setting sequences/instructions That's the joy of owning a PCC.

All in all, is a joy!
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:54 AM   #20
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I always take the time to connect with the watch and set all correctly - then realize each and every time I can’t read them so why am I doing this lol
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 03:47 PM   #21
mooty
"TRF" Member

^ lol
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:03 PM   #22
rlxero
Banned

There are crown winders, they are very niche but available, and you do not have to suffer anxiety over this. It’s no longer the dark ages
rlxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:08 PM   #23
Crazywis
"TRF" Member

Love the ritual of winding up mine. When in a hurry the power reserve keeps it going till the next day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4335.jpg (270.7 KB, 295 views)
Crazywis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:13 PM   #24
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I think it depends how many manual wind watches one owns and also that a beautiful Perp Cal watch such as the 5320G or an IWC Perp Cal which can be left on winders offer instant no hassle wear.

There is no question that Ichiran’s Perp Cal might make one green with envy but I found that for the same sort of money one could also buy a 5230g pairing with a 5172G providing more choice and less of a hit in the event of street robbery.

As ever, each to their own.
haha, the street robbery already occurs when you step out of the AD after having bought those dress PPs :::))))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:41 PM   #25
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Magestic.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:05 AM   #26
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywis View Post
Love the ritual of winding up mine. When in a hurry the power reserve keeps it going till the next day.
This strap combo makes it a whole new watch, very nice :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:37 AM   #27
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Sometimes I don’t even bother to set the date on a regular calendar. The one exception is if there is a day, like on a DD.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 06:43 PM   #28
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
haha, the street robbery already occurs when you step out of the AD after having bought those dress PPs :::))))
LOL! Love your sense of humour.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote