The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2023, 09:17 AM   #61
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

New member and question..

Haven’t read the whole thread yet (I will), but why won’t the shop that sold it to you just give you a complete refund? I’d want to be rid of it completely.

Edit: more red flags. The company has to have it on their receipt that it’s stated “if proven not authentic will give full refund”? That’s terrible. That means they basically knowingly have fakes or franken-watches going out their doors and put it on their customers to figure it out and check authenticity. I would steer good and clear of this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 10:13 AM   #62
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

New member and question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcenroe7 View Post
I feel hesitant to disclose the name ..does this forum allow that? I ended up getting the cash refund yesterday..but will soon be writing a review on Yelp and Google ..and I’m going to go “nuclear” on it. For this reason: after they issued the refund..I politely asked them “why did you tell me when I drove here last Saturday that you would do the repair and then it will be ready in 3-4 days..but instead you call me to drive again to Houston because you now want to refund me? Why didn’t you just refund me last Saturday ?”
Her reply..and she’s either a manager or a owner..or wife of owner
“We just felt you were too stressed and difficult , so decided to give you refund rather than repairing. We will just sell it to another customer once it’s fixed”
I have logged every second of this nightmare ..I have pics ..text messages ..that will prove that I’ve done nothing to warrant myself being labeled a “difficult customer”. I wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to this place.

At this point, you have your money back, and they’ve stated their “case”. Time to name them please. I’m a few hours south of you, and don’t want to be caught in the same position. You owe them nothing. It would be much appreciated.

By the way, there are plenty of reputable stores/sellers in Austin and SA (and Houston) from which to buy that watch.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 03:31 PM   #63
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I read this and think to myself that they discovered it was a fake and are covering their butts. I agree with the post from usmc above this. I would never buy from a place that left it to the buyer to discover that a sold watch is a replica.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:27 PM   #64
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdock View Post
I read this and think to myself that they discovered it was a fake and are covering their butts. I agree with the post from usmc above this. I would never buy from a place that left it to the buyer to discover that a sold watch is a replica.
To be fair to this place, I was the one who INSISTED they add that statement on the purchase receipt..that if it’s proven not authentic I would get full refund. I asked this for my sanity, and also because they kept giving me excuses about removing the case back. The owner of store was supposed to meet me the day of purchase..never showed ..so I was wary. I’m sure my insistence of putting that on receipt started their “difficult customer” thoughts .
Mcenroe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:32 PM   #65
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

To clarify ..owner of store was supposed to meet me, because only he had the tool to remove the back case ..he was a no-show..the employees kept saying he’s running behind ..etc etc..and when this kept dragging on..and they wanted me to just buy it..I had them include that stipulation. My thinking..they KNEW it was broken . Just figured I wouldn’t use the chronograph function . And I am fairly certain it’s not fake. The day I returned it for repair, they tried to up sale me a higher priced Daytona and was going to give me 16k on the trade in.
Old 15 April 2023, 04:34 PM   #66
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

The higher priced one they wanted me to get had all the papers (and box)..forgot to add that to last message. So that tells me they were confident that the broken one wasn’t fake.
Old 15 April 2023, 05:20 PM   #67
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Zero doubt that when they sent it to their watchmaker for repairs, he informed them of something not authentic.

They had two choices.

1, Admit they tried to sell you a fake
2. Shift the blame to you being unreasonable and then act like they are throwing you a bone by offering a refund.

That whole deal you posted about delaying opening the case back, refusing to initially offer a refund for a broken watch, making you travel at their convenience (4pm), it sounds pretty unscrupulous.

Here is the thing about a community like TRF. It's quid pro quo. You joined with the intention of getting some much needed advice regarding your watch issue. Well, you're a member now, so how how about giving us some much needed advice regarding where to avoid buying a Rolex. You certainly don't have to, but it would be appreciated.

Good luck finding another Daytona that reminds you of your Dad, fingers crossed you find the perfect watch!
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 05:57 PM   #68
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
All in all a terrible experience for you. Probably worst feeling is being lied to so many times. At least they refunded you.

You might try any of the boutique sellers in the for sale section. These guys do things differently. Not the cheapest but peace of mind is worth it.
Mind you that it is not common to open a watch when buying second hand, would you have been able to tell if something is wrong ?

Don’t let this experience spoil the fun of owning a nice time piece. Something else will pop up that will make you happy.
Old 15 April 2023, 06:28 PM   #69
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
All in all a terrible experience for you. Probably worst feeling is being lied to so many times. At least they refunded you.

You might try any of the boutique sellers in the for sale section. These guys do things differently. Not the cheapest but peace of mind is worth it.
Mind you that it is not common to open a watch when buying second hand, would you have been able to tell if something is wrong ?

Don’t let this experience spoil the fun of owning a nice time piece. Something else will pop up that will make you happy.
The day of purchase, I had printed out a picture of the 4030 movement..so I could compare after the case back was removed. I’m definitely no expert but just would have given me a better piece of mind before purchasing. The store advertises on Facebook marketplace, that’s how I found them, and they had two advertisements for the watch. One ad..posted from the store, was fine. The other ad, of the same watch was posted by the owner of the store, and looked “sketchy” to me. When I asked the store about this discrepancy before I drove there initially, they were vague in their response. That’s the reason I wanted to see the back case off before purchasing. I’ll try and send a pic of what concerned me..new to this online forum usage but I’ll try..
Old 15 April 2023, 06:44 PM   #70
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Having a tough time trying to figure out posting pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 28545897-6D10-4820-ADF6-3BED54F8ED8E.jpeg (18.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 15 April 2023, 06:47 PM   #71
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Trying to post one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AE3CDA4D-ECB1-45B1-AEF7-C503918B056B.jpeg (18.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 15 April 2023, 06:50 PM   #72
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

The rest of the pics ..all from the store ad, and the rest from the owner ad, all seemed ok. I was just concerned about the one missing the push button ..didn’t dissuade me from considering buying it..but just wanted the case back removed because of this, for just better piece of mind. Sorry for all these posts about this..and I really appreciate all the responses .
I’ve learned ALOT and am relieved this experience is all over ..
Old 15 April 2023, 06:57 PM   #73
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Glad you were able to get your money back, OP. As I posted earlier, they know what they're selling and they sold you a broken watch. Name and shame, please. This will help the community weed out the dodgy dealers.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 10:10 PM   #74
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Stories like this are why I would never deal with anyone other than an authorized dealer. And in the end, luxury items lose their sense of luxury when they are purchased from pawn shops, shifty resellers, and internet price gougers; to me buying luxury items from such a "business" is comparable to drinking champagne from a plastic cup.

OP, I'm glad you were able to get your money back!
Old 15 April 2023, 11:13 PM   #75
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Seems like a great result for you. Consider yourself lucky. It could have gone a lot worse. They had your money and an "all sales final" contract with you. That is a very bad position to be in.

The pic of the piece looks like the watch was highly polished. And the missing pusher would have been a non-starter for me, indicative of how the dealer regarded the watch and with a certain level of disrespect/contempt for would-be buyers.

My advice to you: Wait, save more money, and then just accept the pain of buying a higher-priced watch in great condition with B&P from a reputable dealer. The quality and experience will last even while the memory of the price fades.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 11:57 PM   #76
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Dear OP
You got off easy my friend, I would consider yourself lucky. First of all those pictures are terrible. Please post better pictures somehow because I can’t determine condition of the bezel, it does not look right-over polished. Same with case.
I had a similar situation only with an online seller, and if not for a dealer friend of mine, I would’ve been struck with much more out of pocket including $K’s more for something that wasn’t right and in this case, there was no brick and mortar to bring it back to. I had to spend $1700 more just to make it correct. From now on, I only use trusted dealers like the one I know or authorized dealers. My situation was a positive outcome (relatively) but I can’t imagine people getting fakes sent to them for $10k + and no way to recover the money.

I think you’re kindof obligated to expose this vendor to everyone else here to prevent this from happening again.

My take
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 01:34 AM   #77
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Seems like a great result for you. Consider yourself lucky. It could have gone a lot worse. They had your money and an "all sales final" contract with you. That is a very bad position to be in.

The pic of the piece looks like the watch was highly polished. And the missing pusher would have been a non-starter for me, indicative of how the dealer regarded the watch and with a certain level of disrespect/contempt for would-be buyers.

My advice to you: Wait, save more money, and then just accept the pain of buying a higher-priced watch in great condition with B&P from a reputable dealer. The quality and experience will last even while the memory of the price fades.
What was strange is that as mentioned ..the watch had two separate ads ..one from the shop, and one from the owner. That picture with missing push button was the ONLY one like that. Other pics of same watch and same angles had the push button. So that’s what gave me caution and wanted the case back removed for inspection.
Old 16 April 2023, 01:40 AM   #78
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Gearjockey;12724304]Dear OP
You got off easy my friend, I would consider yourself lucky. First of all those pictures are terrible. Please post better pictures somehow because I can’t determine condition of the bezel, it does not look right-over polished. Same with case.
I had a similar situation only with an online seller, and if not for a dealer friend of mine, I would’ve been struck with much more out of pocket including $K’s more for something that wasn’t right and in this case, there was no brick and mortar to bring it back to. I had to spend $1700 more just to make it correct. From now on, I only use trusted dealers like the one I know or authorized dealers. My situation was a positive outcome (relatively) but I can’t imagine people getting fakes sent to them for $10k + and no way to recover the money.

I think you’re kindof obligated to expose this vendor to everyone else here to prevent this from happening again.

My take[/QUOTE

Here is the ad and name of business. They have very good google reviews. One Yelp review when it was called “Jewelzz corner”
Old 16 April 2023, 01:40 AM   #79
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

What a headache for you OP. I’m heaitant to drive two hours to Long Island to look at a gray dealer. These stories scare me.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 01:41 AM   #80
Mcenroe7
"TRF" Member

Let me try that again ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C1F06B6-2F43-45DA-8206-95D577B1E803.jpeg (14.1 KB, 33 views)