The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 January 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
awdxtc
"TRF" Member

Navitimer questions

I'm looking to buy my first breitling and I love the look of the navitimer. This would be my first high end watch. I have a gshock that i wear daily. I work in a hospital and things get knocked around in that environment lol. I see the water resistance is less than i expected. It would be nice to be able to swim with it but it's not a deal breaker. I had considered a rolex submariner or deep sea but those are just out of the budget particularly the deep sea.
My question is is it safe to shower with a navitimer? I imagine being caught in a heavy rain is a non issue but what about a shower?
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
I'm looking to buy my first breitling and I love the look of the navitimer. This would be my first high end watch. I have a gshock that i wear daily. I work in a hospital and things get knocked around in that environment lol. I see the water resistance is less than i expected. It would be nice to be able to swim with it but it's not a deal breaker. I had considered a rolex submariner or deep sea but those are just out of the budget particularly the deep sea.
My question is is it safe to shower with a navitimer? I imagine being caught in a heavy rain is a non issue but what about a shower?
Generally no. Its not a very water resistant watch. However, its an all time classic and I would put it the number 2 most significant chono ever made (speedy 1, navi 2, el primero 3, daytona 4.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:54 AM   #3
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

I would not shower with my navi.. it has a croc strap!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:30 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Even if you changed out to a rubber strap or bracelet, it's not WR enough for a shower or swimming. I don't shower with my watches, but I eventually sold my Navi 01 LE because of the low WR rating. An option if you do need to have the extra WR is the Sinn 903. That watch, especially on a bracelet, could easily go in the shower at 100m WR.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Generally no. Its not a very water resistant watch. However, its an all time classic and I would put it the number 2 most significant chono ever made (speedy 1, navi 2, el primero 3, daytona 4.
The Navitimer's rated pressure is 3 Bars (B01 43 mm version). That's approximately 44 psi. That pressure equates to a depth of 100 ft in sea water. Is it safe to shower with? Yes.
I do this all the time. Make sure the crown is pushed in. You can swim in a pool as well without worry too. This is a choice you make. You're more likely to damage the Navi at the Hospital during normal activities there than defeat the water tight integrity of the Navitimer.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:47 PM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Navitimer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucengineer View Post
The Navitimer's rated pressure is 3 Bars (B01 43 mm version). That's approximately 44 psi. That pressure equates to a depth of 100 ft in sea water. Is it safe to shower with? Yes.

I do this all the time. Make sure the crown is pushed in. You can swim in a pool as well without worry too. This is a choice you make. You're more likely to damage the Navi at the Hospital during normal activities there than defeat the water tight integrity of the Navitimer.

Sorry but that is wrong. Look up any explanation of what WR ratings mean (static conditions) and you’ll see 30m basically means splash resistant. Now you may have gotten away with it in a pool or shower, but it’s clearly not recommended.

https://www.prestigetime.com/page.php?waterresistance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25 January 2020, 01:11 PM   #7
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Sorry but that is wrong. Look up any explanation of what WR ratings mean (static conditions) and you’ll see 30m basically means splash resistant. Now you may have gotten away with it in a pool or shower, but it’s clearly not recommended.

Plenty of watchmakers out there that will tell you with gaskets in good condition, watches are designed to perform to the depth they are rated for, and not some interpretation like 30m equating to barely safe to wash your hands with it on.

Yes there are some manufacturers out there like TAG, that in an effort to make selecting a watch idiot proof, have tied numeric ratings to activities like swimming etc, with most of the reputable swiss manufactures, 30 meters is 30 meters and so on.
Old 25 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thats good to know. I never seen anyone wear them in the water, but if they can be it adds to the versatility-so long as it’s On a bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2020, 11:25 PM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hold the phone. When I check breitling website, it indeed says 3 bars as you say, but then Says that splashing is ok, but not for shower, water skiing, or diving. Given the bezel mechanism and crystal are attached, it would be very difficult to make that water tight. Source: http://www.breitling.com/us-en/servi...er-resistance/

So if one does swim with it, they will not stand by the warranty and one would do so at their own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2020, 11:26 PM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Not all water based activities are the same, but it is a static test. With a 3 Bar rating, I wouldn't shower with it. Here's what Breitling says about their WR ratings

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/serv...er-resistance/
Old 28 January 2020, 03:54 AM   #11
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post

Lawyer speak to limit liability. If what you claim is true, then ALL watchmaker pressure ratings are meaningless. 3 Bars is equivalent to a depth of 100 feet of seawater or 44 psi. This is correct as stated. Prestige Time re-interpreting what is and isn't with regard to pressure ratings is not backed by any Engineering standards. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #12
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

I guess regardless of wr rating, the owner can choose to do as he wishes.. I won't be showering with my navitimer

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote