The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 January 2020, 02:04 PM   #1
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Collection Thoughts

I've been putting a lot of consideration into my collection over the last 3 years, and was curious as to what you fine folks might consider to be a good next addition. Would also welcome any thoughts, positive or negative, on the current state of the collection. Its been a really great experience buying and trading pieces as your tastes change over time. Great fun as a hobby. Anyway on to it...

Current collection consists of: a "Hulk" and Aquanaut Travel time for sports watches, and for dress watches I have an FP Journe Centegraphe, a Lange Zeitwork, and a Romaine Gauthier Local One.

I'm considering a DeBethune DB28 of some sort - maybe the yellow tones or kind of gold, Akrivia, VC Overseas Ultra thin in Rose Gold - if it comes out this year, and possibly the new H. Moser Streamliner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2423.jpg (103.7 KB, 586 views)
johnnytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Jp28
"TRF" Member

How do you find the Journe and the Zeitwerk ??

Otherwise I would be looking at a AP15500 in RG or openworked or perpetual.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:25 PM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

The way I look at it is that you have got three quite special pieces plus the Hulk and Aquanaut. Congrats on that as most collections lean much more to the mainstream and are dominated by a bunch of Rolexes and/or a few Pateks.

What next? In terms of category, I think your collection could use a high-end sports watch on bracelet and a simple dress watch. I like the new Moser Streamliner for the sports watch and could also see the Akrivia Chronometre Contemporaine fit in well for a simple dress watch. Both would continue the theme of not following the herd.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:30 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytx View Post
I've been putting a lot of consideration into my collection over the last 3 years, and was curious as to what you fine folks might consider to be a good next addition. Would also welcome any thoughts, positive or negative, on the current state of the collection. Its been a really great experience buying and trading pieces as your tastes change over time. Great fun as a hobby. Anyway on to it...

Current collection consists of: a "Hulk" and Aquanaut Travel time for sports watches, and for dress watches I have an FP Journe Centegraphe, a Lange Zeitwork, and a Romaine Gauthier Local One.

I'm considering a DeBethune DB28 of some sort - maybe the yellow tones or kind of gold, Akrivia, VC Overseas Ultra thin in Rose Gold - if it comes out this year, and possibly the new H. Moser Streamliner.
The new Moser is interesting, but the price tag is against it.
With what you have, I’d say the De Bethune takes priority, more than the Akrivia.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:40 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A very nice and different collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:41 PM   #6
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Awesome collection.

If you have the wrist for it, the DB28 would be a great addition.
I also think a MB&F would fit in nicely. Either the LM101 or LM1.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:55 PM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

That’s a great collection and you have some really stellar pieces (ZW, Centigraphe, Logical One). One of the most interesting collections I’ve seen here on TRF actually.

You might like something a little more off the wall; the DB is a good direction but you could also look to Urwerk and MB&F. I’d be leaning toward something that isn’t a round watch as despite what the ZW and Logical One bring to the table in terms of uniqueness and technicals they are both “just” classic round watches in appearance.

It’s an exciting journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:20 PM   #8
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree on the Moser...probably see what happens to it on the secondhand market, and I'mm starting to lean towards Debethune as well. Appreciate the input.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:23 PM   #9
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Appreciate it. I actually traded in my MB&F LM2 towards the Logical one. It wasn't that I ddn't love the piece, but the saphire dome was insane. Ended up not wearing it bc it always felt a bit awkward. Thinking the DB will be different enough to count as something other than a just a round watch.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:26 PM   #10
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The way I look at it is that you have got three quite special pieces plus the Hulk and Aquanaut. Congrats on that as most collections lean much more to the mainstream and are dominated by a bunch of Rolexes and/or a few Pateks.

What next? In terms of category, I think your collection could use a high-end sports watch on bracelet and a simple dress watch. I like the new Moser Streamliner for the sports watch and could also see the Akrivia Chronometre Contemporaine fit in well for a simple dress watch. Both would continue the theme of not following the herd.
Thank you! I also was thinking that a precious metal sports watch on a bracelet like the VC perpetual ultra thin, or hopefully time only VC ultra thin in rose gold (if it comes out) might fit the bill. Also, can throw it on a strap.
Old 23 January 2020, 11:29 PM   #11
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Don't think I can advise here, you are on another horological appreciation level.

With this kind of collection there is no way of knowing where you would logically go next because I think you 'feel' which watch is right for you when you find it.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:30 PM   #12
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

WOW! Your Logical One... Holy smokes what a great watch!

Certainly a DB28, or as mentioned above, an MB&F would be an amazing addition.

You also mentioned Akriva: which one were you considering?
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:41 PM   #13
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
WOW! Your Logical One... Holy smokes what a great watch!

Certainly a DB28, or as mentioned above, an MB&F would be an amazing addition.

You also mentioned Akriva: which one were you considering?
Probably the Chronometre Contemporain frin /Akrivia. Had an MB& F and ended up moving on. The movement is great and the above dial stuff is quite sculptural, but ultimately the dome was too annoying for me. ended up sitting around in the box instead of on the wrist, and I felt like it just sat too high on the wrist. Really appreciate the response...thanks!
Old 23 January 2020, 11:44 PM   #14
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
How do you find the Journe and the Zeitwerk ??

Otherwise I would be looking at a AP15500 in RG or openworked or perpetual.
Both the zeitwerk and the centegraph get a lot of use. I might consider trading up on the Journe, probably for another Journe, but the centegraphe is pretty cool and wears great. Maybe try to snag an early brass movement or something, but who knows. Probably filling out the box before messing with anything already in it.
Old 24 January 2020, 12:00 AM   #15
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate it. I actually traded in my MB&F LM2 towards the Logical one. It wasn't that I ddn't love the piece, but the saphire dome was insane. Ended up not wearing it bc it always felt a bit awkward. Thinking the DB will be different enough to count as something other than a just a round watch.
Ah, that's fair. The domed sapphire certainly isn't for everyone.

As mentioned by Jay, if you want something unique, certainly take a look at Urwerk. Or, maybe even the Breguet 7047 fusee tourbillon.

Old 24 January 2020, 12:06 AM   #16
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Maybe an AP skeleton?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:50 AM   #17
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Maybe an AP skeleton?
A possibility for sure.
Old 24 January 2020, 12:53 AM   #18
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Would you consider an Urwerk?
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:56 AM   #19
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Ah, makes sense as the LM2 is also a large watch in terms of diameter so it had two things going against it.

The DB definitely fits the “not just a round watch” bill; just mind the entry point as you probably know given how weak DB is in the secondary market.

I didn’t mention Akrivia but others did. The AK series are very interesting and unusual, and they wear very well (comfortable).

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:12 AM   #20
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Beautiful collection. I'd add an AP 15202 or 15407.
Old 24 January 2020, 01:41 AM   #21
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Wow, what a collection!

I would definitely wait until Basel this year. VC may be re-releasing an ultra thin Overseas without the perpetual complication (the one currently on the website has been discontinued) in another metal. But I'm a big fan of the Overseas

This is a bit different, the rose gold Yacht Master on Oysterflex, though you may not want another rubber strapped watch that has a similar layout to your hulk (though I'm a sucker for a dive watch...).

I also love the recently released Moser Streamliner, but I wonder if that's a watch that looks better as a standalone item vs on the wrist.

Blue dial AP 15202 wold also look great in your lineup.
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #22
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Holy cow. Your Zeitwerk and that Gauthier...

Personally, I’d ditch the Hulk, but I am not a fan of modern Rolex at all. To me, it looks like the ugly green-headed stepchild among your other watches. But that’s just me.

I’ve tried getting on the waitlist for Akrivia’s Contemporain, both through them directly and through A Collected Man. Chances are slim, I’ll put it that way.

Have you considered Voutilainen? https://www.acollectedman.com/collec...dial-rose-gold
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:17 AM   #23
NiceShirt
"TRF" Member

I second a Kari piece. Also Grönefeld remontoire. Blue dial with guilloche.
NiceShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #24
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Based on what you were considering, I was going to suggest a Gronefeld remontoire as well. I have a blue guilloche dial and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceShirt View Post
I second a Kari piece. Also Grönefeld remontoire. Blue dial with guilloche.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:20 AM   #25
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Based on what you were considering, I was going to suggest a Gronefeld remontoire as well. I have a blue guilloche dial and love it.
Beautiful. Dial is made by Voutilainen too.

https://www.acollectedman.com/produc...montoire-watch
Old 24 January 2020, 05:32 AM   #26
islands62
"TRF" Member

Just here to say, wow!
islands62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:41 AM   #27
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Are you able to order the Gronefeld remontoire any more? I was under the impression that they were done making them but it seems like you can place an order on their website.
Old 24 January 2020, 08:50 AM   #28
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmopak View Post
Are you able to order the Gronefeld remontoire any more? I was under the impression that they were done making them but it seems like you can place an order on their website.
They are done and all unsold are already allocated to ADs. They are working on a new project.

Old 24 January 2020, 02:12 PM   #29
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
They are done and all unsold are already allocated to ADs. They are working on a new project.

Interesting. Any idea as to what’s next for them? Almost tempted to get on that list, but it could be some insane complication and big dollars.

Old 24 January 2020, 02:20 PM   #30
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Ap 15202bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D837B0C5-695F-4874-AF78-5F8DDC070622.jpeg (115.2 KB, 378 views)
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote