The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 02:41 AM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
How tight or loose do you wear your watch bracelet...and does that affect stretch?

I have very small wrists and have been adjusting my bracelet both via removing links and the micro adjust holes.

I have heard that the bracelet's ideal fit should mean that you can squeeze one pointer finger in between your wrist and bracelet. It seems to me that my watch is either a little too loose or a little to tight.

What do you think is better side to lean towards?

ALSO: I wonder if having the bracelet looser increase wear between the lugs via increased endpeice movement; yet at the same time, I wonder if wearing the watch tighter increases bracelet stretch?

Thoughts?

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 26 June 2009, 02:55 AM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

How tight or loose do you wear your watch bracelet...and does that affect stretch?

(reposting here because i thought it may make more sense in the tech forum)

Edited: No, how you wear your watch is far from "tech", but an interesting topic non-the-less. Also, making multiple posts of the exact same subject on different Boards unnecessarily fractionalizes the Forum. Both posts have been merged here.

I have very small wrists and have been adjusting my bracelet both via removing links and the micro adjust holes.

I have heard that the bracelet's ideal fit should mean that you can squeeze one pointer finger in between your wrist and bracelet. It seems to me that my watch is either a little too loose or a little to tight.

What do you think is better side to lean towards?

ALSO: I wonder if having the bracelet looser increase wear between the lugs via increased endpeice movement; yet at the same time, I wonder if wearing the watch tighter increases bracelet stretch?

Thoughts?

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 26 June 2009, 03:05 AM   #3
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Two things, first you may be able to order a half link that will enable you to fit the bracelet a little better. Second, a loose bracelet can cause stretch, but a bigger factor IMO, that is often disregarded, is cleaning your bracelet. A dirty bracelet will increase wear and shorten its life dramatically! I use scrubbing bubbles to clean THE BRACELET ONLY, its gets in all those nooks & crannies that normal soap & water do not. I would contact your local AD or RSC to see if they can't be more assistance with the links.
Scott

Edit: Forgot to mention that you should wear it out for a couple of days, I would guess that since you are in NY, that you will be adjusting the bracelet size more because of the change in temperature from summer to winter.

Member No. 922
Old 26 June 2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
As far as I am aware wearing the watch loose causes wear on the bracelet. To maximise bracelet life the watch should be worn comfortably fitted but not too tight.
Old 26 June 2009, 03:07 AM   #5
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The effect of bracelet stretch is overrated. You should wear it how it is comfortable. You can argue that a bracelet that is too tight will increase wear, just like too lose. Being comfortable should be the only consideration.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 26 June 2009, 03:12 AM   #6
007Sub
"TRF" Member

All good information! Thanks everyone.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 26 June 2009, 03:37 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
All good information! Thanks everyone.
If you can do this with your index finger, you have on a perfect fit!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 26 June 2009, 04:37 AM   #8
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Thanks. nice yacht-master!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 26 June 2009, 04:45 AM   #9
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
If you can do this with your index finger, you have on a perfect fit!!

We all know that.

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 26 June 2009, 04:50 AM   #10
daytona1

I'm having the same issue with my new DDII. There are no micro adjustments on the Pres. band. Either add a link or remove one. When I add the watch flopps around on my wrist. When I remove one it is to tight to get a fingrer behind. I am wearing it lose for now..
Old 26 June 2009, 06:07 AM   #11
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I have small wrists (6 1/2 inch) but love the look and feel of the sport models. I currently wear a Polar Expy II. I had the Dallas RSC remove one permanent link from the 6:00 side. I wear the watch as you say loose enough to fit one finger in the bracelet.

With the permanent link removed....the watch sits great on the wrist and is very comfortable in all weather conditions from hot to cold. I only adjust the micro adjustment for winter/summer conditions.

Hope this helps.
Old 26 June 2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As said........wearing the watch too tight can bend the relatively weak spring-bars, but is pretty unlikely to actually "stretch" the heavy Stainless Steel in an Oyster.

Most wear and apparent stretching is from movement and hammering of the metal-to-metal parts, as well as grinding between those same contact points.. so, it would appear that too loose is more detrimental than comfortably snug..
Old 26 June 2009, 09:49 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I wear it so that I can comfortably insert my index finder between the watch clasp and my skin. All of my Rolexes are sized in this manner.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 26 June 2009, 01:31 PM   #14
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
I've had to have additional links installed in all my watches. Even with an extra link my Sub is still a tad tight while in Florida. The DJ/Jubilee is a bit loose and also the Daytona. I actually prefer them a bit loose. I wash them with mild soap and water usually daily and don't worry about the wear. They're going to outlast me anyway!
Old 26 June 2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
This is one of the funniest pictures I have seen. Sorry JJ

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 28 June 2015, 02:01 AM   #16
joejeweler

Watch: Rolex 114060 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
This is one of the funniest pictures I have seen. Sorry JJ

Old thread I know, and pretty funny pic.

BUT,....I just wanted to add that I think using your "Index" finger to take this guide measurement can be a bit much. (at least for me)

I've owed a 116203 Datejust for 11 years, had a heavy (over 8 ounce) Platinum Masterpiece and 18K Daytona before I sold them, and just a week ago picked up a brand new 114060 no date Sub (when I traded in the Plat. Masterpiece).

On ALL of them I fitted the band to be able to put my PINKY finger underneath for gauging fit. This works well for me and I suspect will for most of us. If your index and pinky fingers are close in thickness, it may not matter much.

I should add that due to an injury to my right index finger at age 16 where I lost the tip for about 1/2", (motorcycle chain encounter ) .......when I use my index finger as a guide the fatter index measure guide is just too much "flop" of the watch.

As my right index is noticeably fatter than my uninjured left index finger, I have no choice but to use my pinky for a sizing gauge. But I suspect for most folks the "Pinky" check will get you a great fit, and possibly impart less flop to your watch and less wear on your band links.

Personal fit of the no date 114060 SubC is so easy to make changes with, that for me at least, ....the "pinky" guage method stands out as providing sufficient play for comfortable everyday wear.
Old 28 June 2015, 02:16 AM   #17
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Scott, does Rolex make an oyster half link?
Old 28 June 2015, 02:22 AM   #18
Bakasana
Banned

I think the finger test (tee-heee) is not ideal for me... I don't like a loose watch, or one that dangles or slides. I like it tight (teee-heee) and fitted to the wrist. I take it off, after a long day on, and I'll see an outline of where it has been worn. It's secure, no dangling, no excessive movement to damage movement, to accidentally have it flop onto something etc.

It's not tight to the point where it is a nuisance, but very fitted. Just me.
Old 28 June 2015, 07:30 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Ancient thread
Closed Thread

Tags
bracelet , bracelet adjustment , bracelet queries , stretch