The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 December 2019, 04:49 AM   #31
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I had my beater 5513 (from Jacek years ago, cheap, service dial/insert/hands) fully redone by LAWW. Now it looks like a new watch. I wouldn't have done it had I owned a matte-dial clean full set or something, but a simple old Sub with service parts? Sure, no problem. Looks great now and I simply don't care about resale price on that watch, I buy my watches to wear anyway.
I was chatting with the owner of a used watch-shop a while ago and asked him if polished watches were difficult to sell.

He claimed that everybody who contacted him inquired about his inventory of unpolished watches, but it was the polished ones that sold quicker.

I suppose it could be argued that the WIS buyer prefer unpolished examples, but the casual buyer likes shiny things?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 04:56 AM   #32
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Polished watches will be cheaper.....that always helps w uneducated buyers.....if a watch is all service parts the real collectors don’t want it anyway so resale will never be high
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:29 AM   #33
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
You make good points, and although I understand the arguments being made on both sides of the issue, I look at it like this:

I have been restoring cars and motorcycles for years in an attempt to bring them back to their original condition. Only when OEM parts were unavailable, or in too poor a condition to be used, did I source parts from restoration part suppliers.

I see a vintage watch the same way. If I can bring a watch back to its original glory, then why not?

I suspect the biggest risk with laser-welding is unscrupulous vendors who may be tempted to declare the item as NOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I had my beater 5513 (from Jacek years ago, cheap, service dial/insert/hands) fully redone by LAWW. Now it looks like a new watch. I wouldn't have done it had I owned a matte-dial clean full set or something, but a simple old Sub with service parts? Sure, no problem. Looks great now and I simply don't care about resale price on that watch, I buy my watches to wear anyway.
I do agree for rare pieces it's not the best idea unless there is terminal damage requiring a case replacement. My watch, I received from my father about 30 years ago. He is still very much active and alive, and we have discussed the merits of a total case refinish. It has a Tiffany dial but no paperwork and has been polished in the past with some of the original chamfers still somewhat visible. LAWW said they could re-polish the case to reveal the chamfers again for a "vintage polish" as they term it where they leave the sides as is with all the scratches (or patina depending on your preference). There is also the "full job" which would probably be similar to what you had done Trog with laser welding on the lug holes to remove the cratering effect. Leaning towards a Vintage polish but I have to admit the full work does look very appealing. BTW, this is the thread I was talking about earlier for detecting laser welding in case you are interested: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...urbish+a+watch
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 08:17 AM   #34
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I do agree for rare pieces it's not the best idea unless there is terminal damage requiring a case replacement. My watch, I received from my father about 30 years ago. He is still very much active and alive, and we have discussed the merits of a total case refinish. It has a Tiffany dial but no paperwork and has been polished in the past with some of the original chamfers still somewhat visible. LAWW said they could re-polish the case to reveal the chamfers again for a "vintage polish" as they term it where they leave the sides as is with all the scratches (or patina depending on your preference). There is also the "full job" which would probably be similar to what you had done Trog with laser welding on the lug holes to remove the cratering effect. Leaning towards a Vintage polish but I have to admit the full work does look very appealing. BTW, this is the thread I was talking about earlier for detecting laser welding in case you are interested: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...urbish+a+watch
Thanks for the link. I'm surprised to learn there's a non-destructive method to detect built-up cases. No doubt it will be adopted by the high-end used watch resellers to verify NOS claims.

Was watching the Antique Roadshow the other evening when a fellow came in with what turned out to be a very old, valuable painting. It obviously had a hard life, and was hung in a harsh environment.

Surprisingly, the appraiser told the fellow that he would realize a much higher auction price if he cleans and restores the masterpiece.

Good thing he didn't bring in a rare watch :)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote