The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 April 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
RWV01

Watch: Rolex
Icon20 Antique v. Vintage

I'd like to know what other RTF members think concerning Vintage v. Antique Rolexes.

For example, a "vintage" rolex may be qualified by its movement, while an "antique" may be qualified by its age. Any thoughts on one or the other? There may very well be "standards" but I know not what they are.
RWV01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
dom_
"TRF" Member

I always took antique to mean over 100 years old and vintage to me is a rolex with a plastic dome not glass.

But that is just my opinion
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
I would say anything antique--in terms of Rolex--would be any pieces made before the 1950s...that is anything before the 10XX series calibers. Certainly anything in Bubbleback territory and going back from there to the first Oyster models of the 1920s and even earlier to the young years of the 20th century when some of the very first watches to feature "Rolex" on their dials were made (Kew Observatory pieces, etc.).
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675, 116518
No difference. The terms are interchangable. The one caviate is that Vintage is used to make more things qualify as antique. So while something from the 1990's might not seem like it's antique, calling it vintage, somehow grants it special status over being just somewhere between new and old.

I think calling things vintage is just a way to make something appear more special. It's a marketing term, and hold no real weight on the value of anything the way it's used today.
NYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 10:41 PM   #5
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
No difference. The terms are interchangable. The one caviate is that Vintage is used to make more things qualify as antique. So while something from the 1990's might not seem like it's antique, calling it vintage, somehow grants it special status over being just somewhere between new and old.

I think calling things vintage is just a way to make something appear more special. It's a marketing term, and hold no real weight on the value of anything the way it's used today.
I disagree. "Vintage" was originally used to refer to older clothing that is highly stylized and not currently "fashionable" (20s - 70s). It grew to include older furniture & home accessories that have a distinct period style but are not quite antique.

Vintage goods are generally not overpriced. They're typically very, very cheap. That's part of their appeal. In recent years, there's an increased interest in vintage goods, but it hasn't made them ridiculously priced. Check out etsy.com - plenty of reasonably priced vintage stuff there.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 11:29 PM   #6
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Steve got it right. Although lately famous designers have now gotten into the fray and are now designing items with the vintage look and the designer price tag. Jeans are a good example of that. The new 42 mm Expy II is also a close example IMO. After all it has the vintage orange 24 hour hand and more resembles that era Explorer II than the one it replaced. I'd be curious to hear what others think.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 02:48 AM   #7
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Simple really.....Antique: worth some money. Vintage: worth a lot of money.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
I disagree. "Vintage" was originally used to refer to older clothing that is highly stylized and not currently "fashionable" (20s - 70s). It grew to include older furniture & home accessories that have a distinct period style but are not quite antique.

Vintage goods are generally not overpriced. They're typically very, very cheap. That's part of their appeal. In recent years, there's an increased interest in vintage goods, but it hasn't made them ridiculously priced. Check out etsy.com - plenty of reasonably priced vintage stuff there.
Actually, your wrong. Vintage is way of distinguishing particular years of wine. A vintage is just a year.

I like how you created a whole story about the word's origin using descriptive opinion terms like "highly stylize" and "not currently Fashionable." I also like how you come to the conclusion that they are generally very very cheap. Please tell me which is cheaper - "an old used shirt" or a "vintage 1970's movie shirt." Old shirt - no value, should go to good will. Vintage 1970's shirt - market appeal and collector credentials. It's used to market and remake undesirable items into collectable items and give value to the valueless.

And from Wiki refering to clothing:

"Vintage clothing is a generic term for new or second hand garments originating from a previous era.
Old 25 April 2012, 01:08 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Antique doesn't seem to be to common of a term used around here at all. I imagine there might be some watches referred to as being Antique. But I'm not sure what criteria one would have to meet or if and when they would be called that vs vintage. It's probably one of those things where it is more rooted in opinion vs fact anyway.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 02:56 AM   #10
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
IMO antique is older. The term vintage was coined by a very smart marketing guru to give value to something that's not quite old enough to be antique. Vintage makes me think 70's.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Eulogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803 and 16610
I think vintage is kind of a personal opinion as far as actual age. Most people in middle age think of stuff from their highschool time as vintage. Reminiscent of their youth. People in their 50's now think back to the 70's.

It takes about a generation for the nostalgia to kick in. They see their kids transiting from youth to adulthood and harken back to their own time. And they now have the means to acquire or re-acquire those things.

Edit: And vice versa, their kids find thing from their parents' age and find them 'new'.
Eulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 04:16 AM   #12
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Actually, your wrong. Vintage is way of distinguishing particular years of wine. A vintage is just a year.

I like how you created a whole story about the word's origin using descriptive opinion terms like "highly stylize" and "not currently Fashionable." I also like how you come to the conclusion that they are generally very very cheap. Please tell me which is cheaper - "an old used shirt" or a "vintage 1970's movie shirt." Old shirt - no value, should go to good will. Vintage 1970's shirt - market appeal and collector credentials. It's used to market and remake undesirable items into collectable items and give value to the valueless.

And from Wiki refering to clothing:

"Vintage clothing is a generic term for new or second hand garments originating from a previous era.
Oh boy... Angry much? I didn't invent the terms "highly" or "stylized". Certainly the etymology of "vintage" is from wine. Vint = vin = wine. However, in terms of use of the term to qualify other goods, I am correct that it began with clothing. As for your wiki quote, well it only supports my statement How do you suppose one would recognize clothing from a different era if it's not "highly stylized?". Items devoid of style are impossible to classify. Further, pre-20th century clothing qualifies as antique, so it's no longer vintage. Finally, with regards to price, I was speaking relative to new and antique prices. Cheers.
Old 25 April 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
Oh boy... Angry much? I didn't invent the terms "highly" or "stylized". Certainly the etymology of "vintage" is from wine. Vint = vin = wine. However, in terms of use of the term to qualify other goods, I am correct that it began with clothing. As for your wiki quote, well it only supports my statement How do you suppose one would recognize clothing from a different era if it's not "highly stylized?". Items devoid of style are impossible to classify. Further, pre-20th century clothing qualifies as antique, so it's no longer vintage. Finally, with regards to price, I was speaking relative to new and antique prices. Cheers.
So MC Hammer Pants would be Vintage because they are highly stylized, but a pair of simple James Dean styled Jeans would not be?
Old 25 April 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
tranny
Banned

Quote:
So MC Hammer Pants would be Vintage because they are highly stylized, but a pair of simple James Dean styled Jeans would not be?
I'm not familiar with James Dean jeans, but I'd say sure... if they look just like jeans today, then they're just "old jeans". "Vintage" is a reference not to age, but style. Here's more info, though I think you already read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage_clothing