The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 November 2017, 12:07 AM   #1
tng11
"TRF" Member

A weekend visit to the AD (mostly Piaget and Lange)

On a rainy, grey and cold afternoon, what better way to spend it than going to the AD to check out some watches?

Even though it was a super busy day with a jewellery trunk show, a DJ, glasses of wine and treats all around the shop, I was given the utmost and scrupulous attention by my guy who showed me anything I wanted to my heart's content, such that I didn't notice there was anyone else in the shop.

First, a stop by the Omega counter. I can't get the Speedmaster Pro off my mind - I have never owned one, and I feel that it is somewhat of a milestone on any watch collecting journey.

The one brand that really surprised me, after having watched a few Youtube videos, was Piaget. I never paid much attention to Piaget, until I discovered that they were basically feuding with JLC for the world's thinnest dress watch.

I must say, their dress pieces are pretty classy:

The Altiplano Ultra Thin was really a stunning piece. Super light and thin, such that I would forget I was wearing a watch at all.

The Skeleton Ultra Thin Automatic... wow, what a show stopper!

And the blue dial on this one... gorgeous!

And then off to Lange... we started off with a Richard Lange Pour Le Merite Tourbillon, which I stupidly forgot to snap a picture of, as I was so mesmerized by it.

And here we have a Saxonia Moonphase in WG, Saxonia Annual Calendar in PT, and a Zeitwerk striking time in WG:

The Zeitwerk striking time is absolutely monstrous on my wrist!

And what a stunner of a movement!

It's a shame however, that the Zeitwerk striking time sound/gong is pretty weak. It might have been the background noise in the shop, but I had a very hard time hearing the gong even putting it up to my ear.

The Saxonia Moonphase... I'm still smitten by this one, and it's a lot more in my budget than the Dato!

And back to this one... the movement is still so captivating.

And finally, we made a stop by the Rolex counter, and I played around with a WG SkyD. First time I've been able to play around with setting a SkyD, and I now admire much more the ingenuity of how Rolex designed the movement.

tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:13 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Did you try black dial Lange 1815 chrono?

Sounds like a fun time. Best thing about the speedie is -40% lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:22 AM   #3
machob55
"TRF" Member

Wow! Beautiful array of watches....

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:35 AM   #4
unlisted
"TRF" Member

OP, if you don't mind my asking, what size wrist do you have? I'm quite intrigued by the Zeitwerk, but I just can't get a good idea of how it sits on the wrist (other than very large, haha).

Looks like a blast- what a pleasant way to pass the time!
unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 04:03 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post
OP, if you don't mind my asking, what size wrist do you have? I'm quite intrigued by the Zeitwerk, but I just can't get a good idea of how it sits on the wrist (other than very large, haha).

Zeitwerk is 42 but the Striking Time is 44 and a bit of a monster, plus I agree the chime was rather weak. The normal ZW is still on my radar, either WG or RG.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 05:59 AM   #6
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Lovely pieces. Everyone has their opinions but I think these are Richemont's two best brands at the moment. Piaget's thin watches and movements always worth seeing in real life to appreciate.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 01:07 PM   #7
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Unfortunately, they didn't have the 1815 Chronograph in stock. Surprising given their great selection otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post

My wrist is about 6.3" these days. As Neil said, the non-striking Zeitwerk is 42, and the striking is 44. That said, the regular Zeitwerk still looks pretty damn big on my wrist.

Definitely a fun time - hard to get better (short of them offering me every SS Rolex I want) than getting my own 2-hour demonstration of any watch I wanted to see while sipping on some wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Lovely pieces. Everyone has their opinions but I think these are Richemont's two best brands at the moment. Piaget's thin watches and movements always worth seeing in real life to appreciate.
I would agree with Lange at least. I would be torn between VC and Piaget as the other one. VC makes some very impressive complications (but I find the designs boring), but Piaget makes very balanced and elegant dress watches. I do definitely agree that Piaget is underrated by many WIS, and seeing them in person really improved my perception of them.
Old 20 November 2017, 01:46 PM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing. Looks like a lot of fun!!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 06:59 PM   #9
regnant
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing these pictures
Happy Days
Old 20 November 2017, 10:46 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is the black 1815 being released normally or very limited? Can only see one on chrono24 and never at ADs.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:01 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Is the black 1815 being released normally or very limited? Can only see one on chrono24 and never at ADs.

It's not limited, but I don't expect Them sitting in cases yet. I had one AD say they expect their first spring 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 08:30 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not limited, but I don't expect Them sitting in cases yet. I had one AD say they expect their first spring 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think they are playing the 15407, 5711, D500 game with this one. Bad time to be a buyer now.
Old 21 November 2017, 10:21 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love that zeitwerk striking time
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:09 AM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
My AD hasn't seen one yet. They've told me Lange sells extremely well, and with an inventory of high end pieces like that, it's surprising they haven't gotten one in yet.
Old 21 November 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
The Speedy is the least expensive watched you saw, but there is a certain something about it. Glad I have one, I should wear it more often.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:38 AM   #16
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
The Speedy is the least expensive watched you saw, but there is a certain something about it. Glad I have one, I should wear it more often.
I almost, just almost walked out the door with the Speedmaster. The bang for the buck the AD was offering me it at made it very hard to resist. I'd love to have one in the collection just for the sake of completeness, but I feel like 6 is already a large enough collection that it's hard to give pieces good wrist time.
Old 22 November 2017, 01:20 AM   #17
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

I would agree with Lange at least. I would be torn between VC and Piaget as the other one. VC makes some very impressive complications (but I find the designs boring), but Piaget makes very balanced and elegant dress watches. I do definitely agree that Piaget is underrated by many WIS, and seeing them in person really improved my perception of them.
Interesting how little love for Piaget. As technical watchmakers much of their work is fantastic, consider the The Emperador Coussin XL Ultra-Thin Minute Repeater. Their watches and movements don't carry the overtly sentimental and prettily decorated elements of Lange, it's quite a contrasting style. Worth reading The HODINKEE review of this watch from 2013 though personally I have my eye on the Altiplano Flyback Chronograph at the moment.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote