The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 March 2016, 07:55 AM   #121
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Any advice on Alden AF79 shell boots in #8 shell?
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:59 AM   #122
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Any advice on Alden AF79 shell boots in #8 shell?
Yes

Have a good look around as there are a number of other brands that do cordovan just as good as Alden if not better. That is if you can get beyond that glossy Alden look. I would look at Carmina, Rider Boot Co, Crockett and Jones, And Enzo Bonafe. To me, their boots may not be as glossy but their boots look a lot better.

Just my two cents.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 08:15 AM   #123
Love
Banned

Some great shoes!
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 08:54 AM   #124
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I actually looked at these very boots three separate times. Probably would have ordered a pair if I had any more room in any of my closets. LOL

But really, I have so many cordovan boots now it's very difficult to justify any more pairs but this is a real nice looking boot and I really like the color as well.

No problem, I've throughly enjoyed each and every encounter I had with Skoaktiebolaget. Patrick and Gabriel are number one in my book. Patrick has excellent taste and has really made some things possible that no other retailer has to this point. Gabriel is always very, professional and responsive to all inquiries.

I'll definitely make it a point to oust and try and give my thoughts when I receive them. My understanding is the are a bit more dressy when compared to EG Dovers but this is natural considering how sleek the last is. Also it my understanding the apron stitching is a bit smaller and neater as well in keeping with the sleeker dressier Last.
All of these boots do take up space in the closets!! I was due for a new pair of shell cordovan boots, and these were just right to fill the spot. I really like the color as well and I think these will get quite a bit of wear next fall/winter. As an aside, I just went back on Skoak's site to look at something else and this preorder now appears to be gone. I'm glad I didn't think too hard on these......

Your collection and knowledge continues to impress, Dan (And your green suede/brown calf EGs in Post #12 are truly superb) I don't want to lose sight of some of the other truly fantastic shoes in this thread and hope folks continue to post (or maybe I don't - inspiration can get expensive)
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 09:15 AM   #125
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
All of these boots do take up space in the closets!! I was due for a new pair of shell cordovan boots, and these were just right to fill the spot. I really like the color as well and I think these will get quite a bit of wear next fall/winter. As an aside, I just went back on Skoak's site to look at something else and this preorder now appears to be gone. I'm glad I didn't think too hard on these......

Your collection and knowledge continues to impress, Dan (And your green suede/brown calf EGs in Post #12 are truly superb) I don't want to lose sight of some of the other truly fantastic shoes in this thread and hope folks continue to post (or maybe I don't - inspiration can get expensive)
Not only space, but having the opportunity to wear them all. LOL

Thank you sir. The EGs are the Malverns in Loden Suede and Chameleon Calf. The Chameleon Calf is bit more greenish brown depending on the light, just as the Loden suede tends to be less dark depending on the light as well.

Agreed. Enabling kind of works both ways.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 March 2016, 05:15 PM   #126
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Some more Edward Green
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edward Green Skoaktiebolaget Chelsea Dark Oak 82 A.jpg (75.7 KB, 439 views)

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 March 2016, 05:17 PM   #127
dddrees
"TRF" Member

These go from blue to black depending on the light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edward Green Roman SF Sandringham Midnight Navy Shell.jpg (85.3 KB, 435 views)

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 March 2016, 11:13 AM   #128
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Because sometimes you have to know where to look to find the real beauty of the shoe. A more aggressive Last as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 March 2016, 11:17 AM   #129
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Yes, they are on their way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G&G Ishams.jpg (66.4 KB, 421 views)

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 March 2016, 04:00 PM   #130
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Know of anyone who makes a nice dress boot with a rubber sole in a size 14(US)?

My size seems to be a real obstacle in higher end shoes...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 08:18 PM   #131
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I can only imagine. Allen Edmonds and I believe Alden as well are known for carrying large size shoes as well as boots. I think for either you would more than likely have to order them on the internet. Most retail outlets due to logistics and cost will only carry certain sizes as well as widths.

However I thought I would also include a link to thread that speaks to large sized feet as this may also give you some ideas. Since I fall in the size range where I don't need to worry about this my knowledge about this isn't that vast. However if you have any questions feel free to ask someone her maybe able to help and I certainly can help with regards to knowledge about shoes and boots and a number of shoemakers just not about larger sized shoes or boots.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/341686/t...ze-shoes/0_100

Good Luck,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 March 2016, 08:55 PM   #132
dddrees
"TRF" Member

No reason you can't have a bit of fun.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 01:27 AM   #133
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, they are on their way.
Beautiful choice, Dan. I am very anxious for my Ishams to arrive. In the mean time, picked up another Norwegian split toe that will be here next week. A little out of season, but saved a few bucks.

Old 26 March 2016, 01:30 AM   #134
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beautiful choice, Dan. I am very anxious for my Ishams to arrive. In the mean time, picked up another Norwegian split toe that will be here next week. A little out of season, but saved a few bucks.

Very nice, I've considered a pair of suede split toes more than a few times.

Carmina?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 01:35 AM   #135
belk7
"TRF" Member

Dan,
Which Lobb style did you select for the traditional black captoe oxford you showed early in this thread? My stalwart black captoe is the Allen Edmunds Park Avenue. I bought that shoe over twenty years ago, resoled twice, and they still look more than passable. However, they are probably due to be replaced in the not-too-distant future and I will do plenty of research on this purchase. With Lobb, I generally prefer to stay with the Prestige line (although I did stray on my brown derby wings and am pretty happy with them). Your thoughts would be appreciated when convenient.
Old 26 March 2016, 01:37 AM   #136
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice, I've considered a pair of suede split toes more than a few times.

Carmina?
EG Dover. Second photo is straight from EG web site.

The stitching and suede make them look quite different than the calf versions. Honestly, one of the things that intrigued me.
Old 26 March 2016, 01:39 AM   #137
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dan,
Which Lobb style did you select for the traditional black captoe oxford you showed early in this thread? My stalwart black captoe is the Allen Edmunds Park Avenue. I bought that shoe over twenty years ago, resoled twice, and they still look more than passable. However, they are probably due to be replaced in the not-too-distant future and I will do plenty of research on this purchase. With Lobb, I generally prefer to stay with the Prestige line (although I did stray on my brown derby wings and am pretty happy with them). Your thoughts would be appreciated when convenient.
Chris,

Actually the Black Captoe Oxford I chose was the Edward Green Chelsea., however if your going with John Lobb the Phillip II is the one to go with. The City isn't shabby either..

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 01:41 AM   #138
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
EG Dover. Second photo is straight from EG web site.

The stitching and suede make them look quite different than the calf versions. Honestly, one the things that intrigued me.

Wow, missed that didn't I. LOL

Very nice!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 01:42 AM   #139
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chris,

Actually the Black Captoe Oxford I chose was the Edward Green Chelsea., however if your going with John Lobb the Phillip II is the one to go with. The City isn't shabby either..
For some reason, I wasn't too knocked out by the City II that I saw. I'll look into the Phillip. By the time I pull the trigger on this, I'll likely consider other makers as well. Your Chelseas look fantastic and I find that that some EG lasts work better for me than the Lobb 7000.
Old 26 March 2016, 01:49 AM   #140
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For some reason, I wasn't too knocked out by the City II that I saw. I'll look into the Phillip. By the time I pull the trigger on this, I'll likely consider other makers as well. Your Chelsea's look fantastic and I find that that some EG lasts work better for me than the Lobb 7000.

The EG Chelsea is a great option and John Lobb is considered one of the quintessential choices when it comes to this style. However I have seen some fairly decent choices from other shoemakers. There was one from Vass that looked pretty interesting that one person posted on a forum I frequent. St Crispins would be another shoemaker I would consider, and G&G does a pretty nice one as well. These are the ones that always come to my mind when I think of this particular shoe.

I look forward to seeing which choice you make.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 02:02 AM   #141
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For some reason, I wasn't too knocked out by the City II that I saw. I'll look into the Phillip. By the time I pull the trigger on this, I'll likely consider other makers as well. Your Chelsea's look fantastic and I find that that some EG lasts work better for me than the Lobb 7000.
Chris,

Wow, I can't believe I almost forgot this. Here's something you might want to check out as you consider which Black dress shoe to choose. I don't think it includes all of the ones I mentioned but it's still a good site to check out due to the number of different ones and the various comparisions and such it includes.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/t...e-oxford/0_100

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 02:25 AM   #142
belk7
"TRF" Member

Thanks again, Dan. Popped into the link and there is a real wealth of information there. Likely will take some time for this selection. As stated, I have lived with my AE captoe literally for decades. It was the first "non disposable" shoe I purchased right out of grad school. I looked back and realized these were bought in 1989. Resoled twice, never stripped and refinished. Took this photo just now. They certainly made good shoes in Wisconsin 27 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2016, 02:32 AM   #143
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again, Dan. Popped into the link and there is a real wealth of information there. Likely will take some time for this selection. As stated, I have lived with my AE captoe literally for decades. It was the first "non disposable" shoe I purchased right out of grad school. I looked back and realized these were bought in 1989. Resoled twice, never stripped and refinished. Took this photo just now. They certainly made good shoes in Wisconsin 27 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem, I kind of feel bad for forgetting about it initially. Guess I'm getting old. LOL

I've actually still have my AE captors still as well. It's the only pair of AEs I kept, I now use them as beaters.

Your not the only one I've heard that has had problems with the JL 7000 Last and like you said the EG 82 works real well for me. As beatiful as some shoes can be it means nothing if they don't fit you.

Good luck with your choice.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 02:45 AM   #144
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No problem, I kind of feel bad for forgetting about it initially. Guess I'm getting old. LOL

I've actually still have my AE captors still as well. It's the only pair of AEs I kept, I now use them as beaters.

Your not the only one I've heard that has had problems with the JL 7000 Last and like you said the EG 82 works real well for me. As beatiful as some shoes can be it means nothing if they don't fit you.

Good luck with your choice.
I think you've woken the elephant in the room there. A lot of beautiful hand made expensive shoes (from all makers) just aren't that comfortable. I don't mean they don't fit, they fit but just are not comfortable.

You can go to the shop, try half a size bigger or smaller, wide or normal width, maybe 6 different sizing combo's and they still don't feel right. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat and walk away or try another style no matter how much you like them.

I know I used to have lovely shoes that I'd only wear if I was getting a car to a venue and knowing I'd not have to be walking around much. It got silly in the end, I probably had half a dozen like that and just sold them as I couldn't be bothered.

I find there's actually two different feelings of them not quite feeling right when trying them on. One where you know they will come good after a few wears and one where you know no matter how much you wear them they'll never give you that satisfaction.

The best assistants in the factory shops will actually look at your foot sometimes and just say no when you ask to try something on, they know it isn't going to suit you from a fit pov.

You cannot under sell how great a really good fitting shoe feels when it's properly worn in though, after you've worn it for about 100 miles and it's moulded and settled to your foot like a glove
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 04:25 AM   #145
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
I think you've woken the elephant in the room there. A lot of beautiful hand made expensive shoes (from all makers) just aren't that comfortable. I don't mean they don't fit, they fit but just are not comfortable.

You can go to the shop, try half a size bigger or smaller, wide or normal width, maybe 6 different sizing combo's and they still don't feel right. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat and walk away or try another style no matter how much you like them.

I know I used to have lovely shoes that I'd only wear if I was getting a car to a venue and knowing I'd not have to be walking around much. It got silly in the end, I probably had half a dozen like that and just sold them as I couldn't be bothered.

I find there's actually two different feelings of them not quite feeling right when trying them on. One where you know they will come good after a few wears and one where you know no matter how much you wear them they'll never give you that satisfaction.

The best assistants in the factory shops will actually look at your foot sometimes and just say no when you ask to try something on, they know it isn't going to suit you from a fit pov.

You cannot under sell how great a really good fitting shoe feels when it's properly worn in though, after you've worn it for about 100 miles and it's moulded and settled to your foot like a glove
I've been fortunate I haven't had many issues with the number of Lasts I've actually purchased. Since I've made most of these purchases via the Internet I would actually say ive been extremely fortunate. The thing is not trying before buying isn't the ideal situation whatsoever. However given my location and my passion for quality footwear if I wished to purchase these shoes my options were limited so I made the best of the situation. I attribute my success to the following things:

Knowing my Brannock size.

Establishing my size in other known Lasts locally via a few Allen Edmond and Alden purchases.

Knowing what a good fit means.

Conducting research and determining my size on other Lasts via determining what others did when they had the same size on my known Lasts vs the Last I was considering buying.

Trying on the same Last whenever possible.

Asking for sizing advice from competent retailers.

Stealing clear of problematic Lasts.

Be willing to deal with the consequences when all else fails. Being able to return is a good thing but in theory this only practically works with shoes ordered stateside due to the additional shipping fees and customs fees one normally has to pay.

Typically steering clear of GMTOs and MTOs until my size in a particular Last is established.

Finally in my case having a fairly average foot with not to large of a foot in a medium width.

By no means will this work for everyone and I have seen a number of others who have had to sell their new shoes because they were unable to get a good fit.

FIT is KING!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 04:19 PM   #146
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Possible to special order. I was at the Crockett and Jones NYC store in February 2015 when someone came in to pick up 5 pairs for LeBron James. They said his size equated to between 13-14 (UK)
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:42 PM   #147
MjolnirCFC
"TRF" Member

Lol. Im on the opposite end of the spectrum to some TRF members.

I love watches, but dont care about shoes - actually, I wear the same pair of black shoes for work for 6 months to 9 months and then buy new ones, which i then wear for 6 months to 9 months.

I have a pair of black shoes reserved for more formal occasions that ive had for 3 years.

Otherwise, its Asics Tigers, Nike Free Runs, Havaianas, and driving shoes/boat shoes for me.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
MjolnirCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:39 PM   #148
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Possible to special order. I was at the Crockett and Jones NYC store in February 2015 when someone came in to pick up 5 pairs for LeBron James. They said his size equated to between 13-14 (UK)

You can actually do this with a number of different brands. It's just much easier when it comes to Allen Edmonds because you can order them right from their website and you won't have to pay a premium to do so and they're much cheaper to begin with. If however he takes a look at the reference I mentioned he may very well get a better idea as to what all might be out there so he can make a more informed decision. Budget and what your willing to spend, whether the amount of time your willing to spend, and the risk of getting it wrong initially will all need to be part of the equation as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 March 2016, 11:50 PM   #149
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Really great thread guys

I haven't worn a suit much in the last ten years, but that is beginning to change. The information and the links in this thread are a great start towards buying some quality shoes.

There is a John Lobb store in Dubai. I love the look of the Phillip II. Would it be wise to start this adventure there, or should I be at a beginners level at this point?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 12:08 AM   #150
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Really great thread guys

I haven't worn a suit much in the last ten years, but that is beginning to change. The information and the links in this thread are a great start towards buying some quality shoes.

There is a John Lobb store in Dubai. I love the look of the Phillip II. Would it be wise to start this adventure there, or should I be at a beginners level at this point?
My advice to you would be to invest some time and do some research first. Do your best to take your time and understand exactly why something from John Lobb cost more than something from Allen Edmonds. Because after all as I have said previously in this thread a shoe from both brands will potentially last the same amount of time, however being able to appreciate the differences and understanding what the differences are makes the purchase of something from John Lobb truly worth the extra cost. Understand also that just because your determined to get something from John Lobb doesn't mean that the the Last from John Lobb will fit you any better than something from Allen Edmonds. In fact you may find you may achieve a better fit with something from Allen Edmonds.

Personally I started purchasing shoes from Allen Edmonds and gradually went to Alden, Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, Vass, John Lobb, St Crispins, Gaziano and Girling, and Edward Green. I have decide I prefer shoes from the top tier shoemakers and no longer care to purchase from some of the mid tier or lower tier shoemakers and I know exactly why I do not. I don't necessarily recommend this approach as it will cost you more money in the long run. But I do know what is a good fit and I do know exactly why it is that I prefer to do so.

The following is an excellent place to start. The reason being this is where there are more experts and more opinions than just the few that hang out in this thread. I highly encourage you to take a look here. There are a number of appreciation threads for a number of different brands and some vendor threads. Its a mixed bag but overall if you take your time and go thru the threads that interest you the most and do some research you can get some extremely valuable information here.

Don't lose sight that if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how much you spend it just wont work for you. Also do yourself a gigantic favor and don't just focus on one brand. Take a look at the others as well as though some brands are known for certain styles and some of these may appeal to you that other brands are capable of equally marvelous things as well. That is as long as it FITs you.

http://www.styleforum.net/f/5/classic-menswear

P.S. Don't jump in with both feet too quickly. After purchasing your first pair take your time and move slowly. The slower you go the less regrets you may have later.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons