The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2017, 03:17 PM   #2101
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Yeah, $100 for a shoe tree seems a bit obscene, but they look nice and seem to come in individual sizes. I got a 10 shoe tree for my 10 size boot. Most importantly they are wider than any other shoe trees I have. They are applying extra pressure that should stretch the leather a little bit at the sides.

I liked a lot of their boots, but these immediately stood out to me.
Frankly given C&J's Lasts and more specifically their boot Lasts I find regular shoe trees more than adequate for C&J boots. However when it comes to shoes from G&G and some of the Lasts from EG I wouldn't even recommend generic trees. Sleeker Lasts like those that come from G&G I just wouldn't go there.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 03:46 PM   #2102
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Frankly given C&J's Lasts and more specifically their boot Lasts I find regular shoe trees more than adequate for C&J boots. However when it comes to shoes from G&G and some of the Lasts from EG I wouldn't even recommend generic trees. Sleeker Lasts like those that come from G&G I just wouldn't go there.
I think the EG 64 last is similar to the 325 last and I think that the semi-lasted trees make a world of difference. The generic trees fit of course, but they don't fit well. At this price point (and honestly, at any price point the most entry level shoes), I think semi-lasted is the way to go if it is an option.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 03:54 PM   #2103
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I think the EG 64 last is similar to the 325 last and I think that the semi-lasted trees make a world of difference. The generic trees fit of course, but they don't fit well. At this price point (and honestly, at any price point the most entry level shoes), I think semi-lasted is the way to go if it is an option.
I think have at least 2 or 3 pair of CJs on the 325 Last and I’ve had generic trees in them ever since I purchased them with no ill effects. I know they don’t completely fill them but they don’t stretch them out either. They’ve basically retained their original shape. Since I more than likely purchased these trees from Joseph A Banks when they were on sale so I probably paid about $8.00 a piece for the trees.

By the way I purchased most of my C&Js from Barney’s and Ralph Lauren and C&J Shoe Trees weren’t an option but frankly the ones I have work just fine. I have purchased EG shoes or boots and the trees for a few weren’t an option but I went ahead and purchased the EG trees from another source.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 November 2017, 04:44 PM   #2104
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I think have at least 2 or 3 pair of CJs on the 325 Last and I’ve had generic trees in them ever since I purchased them with no ill effects. I know they don’t completely fill them but they don’t stretch them out either. They’ve basically retained their original shape. Since I more than likely purchased these trees from Joseph A Banks when they were on sale so I probably paid about $8.00 a piece for the trees.

By the way I purchased most of my C&Js from Barney’s and Ralph Lauren and C&J Shoe Trees weren’t an option but frankly the ones I have work just fine. I have purchased EG shoes or boots and the trees for a few weren’t an option but I went ahead and purchased the EG trees from another source.
I don't think generic trees will produce any sort of ill effects, but I like the idea of having trees that fit as good as possible. For some brands like Alden, generic is the only option and that's fine, but after seeing how well the EG trees fit, I think I will buy semi-lasted (or lasted) for now on for my nicer shoes.

Maybe I am just easily impressed.
Old 21 November 2017, 04:47 PM   #2105
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Went with the galway!

Exactly what I wanted and fit was just that tiniest but snug, but will open up.

Feel great.
Congrats! They look great
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 06:03 PM   #2106
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think generic trees will produce any sort of ill effects, but I like the idea of having trees that fit as good as possible. For some brands like Alden, generic is the only option and that's fine, but after seeing how well the EG trees fit, I think I will buy semi-lasted (or lasted) for now on for my nicer shoes.

Maybe I am just easily impressed.
I think for the most part when I purchased my C&J shoes and boots I wasn’t even aware that it was even possibility. But as I said my shoes and boots show no ill effects so I certainly so no reason for it now,

However i do think it’s possible for damage depending on the size of the tree vs the Last and I certainly no longer use trees with the very narrow heel as those are terrrible. By size I don’t only mean length but that can mean width or height or any possible dimension where by the tree just fits the shoe poorly. Anyway I certainly wouldn’t want to put generic or at least most generic trees in my G&G shoes or boots because of how sleek those Lasts are.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 November 2017, 11:40 PM   #2107
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Went with the galway!

Exactly what I wanted and fit was just that tiniest but snug, but will open up.

Feel great.

Thanks for the photos of the Chelseas.

Looks like I will be bringing a pair home in a couple of weeks.

Loving the Galways. The scotch grain is a perfect winter boot. My Brecon’s do very well with a minimum of care.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #2108
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Thank you!

Also thanks to Dan and Wes. Appreciate the knowledge and advice from all three of you.
Beauties Been on the hunt for a new pair of boots myself. Looking at the Brecon calf in dark brown country grain.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:07 AM   #2109
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Congrats! They look great
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Beauties Been on the hunt for a new pair of boots myself. Looking at the Brecon calf in dark brown country grain.
Thanks
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:28 AM   #2110
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Well worn 3 year old Derby Brogues by Cheaney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dj and derby brogues.jpg (99.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Dj and derby brogues2.jpg (110.7 KB, 170 views)
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:26 PM   #2111
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Well worn 3 year old Derby Brogues by Cheaney
Nice!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 November 2017, 05:15 PM   #2112
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Thank you.

While at this, anyone finding Dianite soles better than the old school and purist preferred leather soles?

Cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:30 PM   #2113
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you.

While at this, anyone finding Dianite soles better than the old school and purist preferred leather soles?

Cheers
Dainite has its pros and cons.

On the plus side, the soles offer more traction than leather soles and are more versatile in terms of being able to handle various types of weather.

Dainite soles are pretty sleek, but they are not as visually pleasing as leather soles (even basic leather soles). Leather soles aren't all created equal and some are really built to last so I think they can last as long, if not longer than Dainite soles.

IMO, dress shoes should also have leather soles. Mixed use shoes or more casual shoes can have either.
Old 22 November 2017, 08:53 PM   #2114
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Cheers
Yes, but Wes said it best.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 November 2017, 09:43 PM   #2115
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Dainite has its pros and cons.

On the plus side, the soles offer more traction than leather soles and are more versatile in terms of being able to handle various types of weather.

Dainite soles are pretty sleek, but they are not as visually pleasing as leather soles (even basic leather soles). Leather soles aren't all created equal and some are really built to last so I think they can last as long, if not longer than Dainite soles.

IMO, dress shoes should also have leather soles. Mixed use shoes or more casual shoes can have either.
Agree with all of this.

Good leather soles will last a long time. But no leather will give you good traction on smooth flooring surfaces like marble and granite. This isn't a big deal unless you have knee or hip problems and are uncomfortable slipping and sliding on smooth materials.

An option to Dainite is Wensum, which is dressy and looks much more like leather, but has the traction and weathering properties of a rubber sole.

Here's a G&G with wensum sole (SF image).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700.jpg (40.8 KB, 160 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:50 PM   #2116
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Agree with all of this.

Good leather soles will last a long time. But no leather will give you good traction on smooth flooring surfaces like marble and granite. This isn't a big deal unless you have knee or hip problems and are uncomfortable slipping and sliding on smooth materials.

An option to Dainite is Wensum, which is dressy and looks much more like leather, but has the traction and weathering properties of a rubber sole.

Edward Green has something similar but I forget the name at the moment. I have that on a pair of my EG Chukas.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 November 2017, 06:30 PM   #2117
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree with all of this.

Yup, I think many companies are coming out with similar options. The picture of the chukkas the Syed posted have the "City sole" which is C&J's most formal rubber sole.
Old 23 November 2017, 06:34 PM   #2118
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I knew I would be one of the few suckers in the office today (well, yesterday), so I decided to wear jeans.

Somebody asked me if my shoes were made of plastic because they were so shiny. I'll take that as a compliment. I think?

Old 24 November 2017, 12:37 AM   #2119
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Yup, I think many companies are coming out with similar options. The picture of the chukkas the Syed posted have the "City sole" which is C&J's most formal rubber sole.
These are a Wensum sole. You'd never know it if you didn't study the bottom of the soles. (Pardon the poorly tied laces, they were right out of the box and I was a tad excited ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SJ 2 a.jpg (267.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg SJ 2 b.jpg (283.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 24 November 2017, 01:20 AM   #2120
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These are a Wensum sole. You'd never know it if you didn't study the bottom of the soles. (Pardon the poorly tied laces, they were right out of the box and I was a tad excited ).

Fabulous!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 November 2017, 04:14 AM   #2121
Abdullah71601
Banned

Nick is having a Black Friday sale on Bespoke-England.co.uk. There are some pretty good deals (John Lobb at Alden prices) if you can find your size in a model you like.
Old 26 November 2017, 05:05 AM   #2122
Abdullah71601
Banned

BC's circumcision thread is a little out of my wheelhouse, so I was browsing Nick's site.

What do you all think of these Canonbury II's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_46b41338-ce5c-414c-9427-e5acd14927eb_1024x1024.jpg (67.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 26 November 2017, 08:36 AM   #2123
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure about the oxford lacing on a boot.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:49 AM   #2124
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I think it is better to be honest, I think it is what one is used to, as an American you would prefer the x type lacing, as an Englishman, I prefer this way.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:55 AM   #2125
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Do mean the oxford style, or the line lacing?

You mostly see derby style boots in the US. But I prefer oxfords in general, and these boots are priced to sell.
Old 26 November 2017, 09:00 AM   #2126
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do mean the oxford style, or the line lacing?

You mostly see derby style boots in the US. But I prefer oxfords in general, and these boots are priced to sell.
I assumed he meant the line lacing Abdullah, it is a matter of taste, so there is no right way. I prefer the it is on the photo. Looks stunning.

DAVE

Old 26 November 2017, 09:03 AM   #2127
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I assumed he meant the line lacing Abdullah, it is a matter of taste, so there is no right way. I prefer the it is on the photo. Looks stunning.
I lace my trainers X way, but all my proper shoes are line laced. I think it looks sharp on a dress shoe, especially on my oxfords.
Old 26 November 2017, 09:09 AM   #2128
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I lace my trainers X way, but all my proper shoes are line laced. I think it looks sharp on a dress shoe, especially on my oxfords.
I have tried it the X way (after seeing the way most Americans lace theirs on this site) on a pair of my boots (Derby not Oxford style) and left it that way for about 6 months, I think I will change it back to the line way.

DAVE

Old 26 November 2017, 09:12 AM   #2129
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve never learned how to line lace my shoes. I do like how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 09:16 AM   #2130
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I’ve never learned how to line lace my shoes. I do like how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is a decent schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lace-shoes-dress-shoes.jpg (77.1 KB, 112 views)