The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2017, 08:56 AM   #601
clock
Banned

I’ve had the X for a week coming from 6+.
Considering exchanging for 8+ due to missing a larger screen.
Anyone with same impression?
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 01:59 PM   #602
highcotton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Red Sub
The IPhone X actually has a larger screen than the 8+.
highcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 02:16 PM   #603
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
The IPhone X actually has a larger screen than the 8+.
Yeah, the diagonal is larger.

5.8 on the X and 5.5 on plus models.

That being said, the iPhone x screen is actually smaller in terms total screen area because of the aspect ratio and the notch.

The plus models have more screen.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:37 PM   #604
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

That being said, the iPhone x screen is actually smaller in terms total screen area because of the aspect ratio and the notch.

USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:44 AM   #605
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

That’s true. The screen is longer, but also narrower. The way screen sizes are measured is somewhat of a joke.

Anyway, I just got my X last night and I am very impressed so far. I love the form factor and the notch surprisingly doesn’t bother me.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:55 AM   #606
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
That’s true. The screen is longer, but also narrower. The way screen sizes are measured is somewhat of a joke.

Anyway, I just got my X last night and I am very impressed so far. I love the form factor and the notch surprisingly doesn’t bother me.
For sure. The screen may be some small amount smaller, but the old designs are are a joke in 2017 with those ridiculous bezels.

Even with the little design issues issues with the X, it's great and light years beyond the previous models. It looks fantastic.

Hoping for an X plus with a bigger screen next year and big changes in ios 12. Just give me home screen widgets and I'll be back. Just as long as they don't make it $1500.
Old 22 November 2017, 07:52 PM   #607
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

the only practical reason I even noticed was my wallpapers dont fit the screen. You need a really long and narrow photo otherwise it cuts off the sides. I love the phone but the long and narrow screen is a bit strange.

Looking at photos or watching videos you don't use the full screen anyway so there is a bit of unused screen.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 12:23 PM   #608
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Bummer I was actually going to buy this for my wife for Christmas. Now I have to come up with something else.
Now it's April 2018 as the release date for the Homepod.
Old 26 November 2017, 08:22 PM   #609
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Put in for an X the other day. We'll see how it goes. Been rocking a 5S for 4 years now. Held up much better than my previous 3GS that I had to tear apart twice for a rear cover and a couple batteries. The 5S screen is delaminating from the frame and has a small amount of water in the glass but not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 01:31 PM   #610
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Put in for an X the other day. We'll see how it goes. Been rocking a 5S for 4 years now. Held up much better than my previous 3GS that I had to tear apart twice for a rear cover and a couple batteries. The 5S screen is delaminating from the frame and has a small amount of water in the glass but not a big deal.

Be sure to tell us how you like it.
Old 30 November 2017, 07:31 PM   #611
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALV View Post
Be sure to tell us how you like it.

Looking forward to it. Should be here 12/5
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 30 November 2017, 08:09 PM   #612
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Got mine a few days ago as well and love it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 08:30 PM   #613
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
I’ve had the X for a week coming from 6+.
Considering exchanging for 8+ due to missing a larger screen.
Anyone with same impression?
Yes, I bought an iPhone X and my fiancée chose the 8+ so I was able to compare them well.

Within a few days I realised I’d made the wrong choice, the usable screen area is significantly smaller with the X as it is poorly proportioned - too long and too narrow.

Also the X was not getting good network signal and dropping calls all over my city and I preferred having a home button vs having to swipe up all the time.

Luckily I went back to the Apple store and was able to swap my X for an 8+. The X is a very beautiful device, but for my purposes the 8+ performs significantly better.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 05:09 AM   #614
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
I've been loving the X - happy they did not make it any wider as it would make holding it / one handed use that much more difficult for me. Screen looks brilliant, everything works smooth as butter (for now!), and battery life (as well for now) is fully sufficient to get through 1 day of heavy use for me.

Is it 'worth' 1k+ when you can buy a great samsung / previous iphone for significantly less? (H3ll No) - definitely an expensive splurge but it fits my needs best for now and it is a quality product. I'm coming from 3 years with an iphone 6 that was on its last breath ...
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 08:00 AM   #615
clock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Yes, I bought an iPhone X and my fiancée chose the 8+ so I was able to compare them well.

Within a few days I realised I’d made the wrong choice, the usable screen area is significantly smaller with the X as it is poorly proportioned - too long and too narrow.

Also the X was not getting good network signal and dropping calls all over my city and I preferred having a home button vs having to swipe up all the time.

Luckily I went back to the Apple store and was able to swap my X for an 8+. The X is a very beautiful device, but for my purposes the 8+ performs significantly better.
I’ve had my X for two weeks have grown to enjoy the phone. The gestures are convenient, the oled screen is beautiful. The aspect ratio is unique, however most apps will adjust to this size which will maximize use of the screen.
In my experience the battery doesn’t last as long as the plus models. I do miss viewing the plus on YouTube with the landscape position. The X Plus will likely be available next year. From what I’ve read, the finger ID will longer be made.
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:21 PM   #616
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Got my IPhone X today. There’s kind of a lot of things I’m not really in to. Lack of battery percentage without swiping down. You have to hold down the airplane mode button to use airdrop??? Also to close apps you can’t just swipe them away. The flashlight is easier to use I suppose. Ascetically I don’t get the super dark ruthenium plating on the frame at all. The gray phone is very dark. I expected something much different. It just doesn’t seem to fit any aesthetic I’ve seen lately especially from Apple. I don’t know what to make of it other than I paid for it so I’ll get used to it. Just very different than what I expected. This is coming from an IPhone 6s work phone and a 5s personal phone. Had iPhones since the second iteration. This one feels way different to me.

Old 3 December 2017, 08:12 PM   #617
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I’ve had my 8 for a couple of months now, and I’m still pretty disappointed. My biggest complaint is the reception, whether it be telephone, WiFi, or 4G. Also, I find that the phone freezes quite often, and I have to reboot it. I came from a 6, which I loved.

Am I alone in this? Is the problem the phone or IOS 11? I’m thinking of getting rid of the 8 and buying a 7...

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:15 PM   #618
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Serious question. Do serious audiophiles even use a phone as their music device? Somebody who really cares about high fidelity would have a dedicated home setup, no? Listening to music on your phone is for when you are out and about...hardly the place to sit down and really concentrate on the sound.

I am happy some some good quality Bluetooth headphones.
Wes, if you could hear how absolutely amazing the Shure 846SE's are you'd understand my audio jack bitching issue that I'm talking about.

BTW, you never reported back on the Philips cans...

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:04 AM   #619
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I’ve had my 8 for a couple of months now, and I’m still pretty disappointed. My biggest complaint is the reception, whether it be telephone, WiFi, or 4G. Also, I find that the phone freezes quite often, and I have to reboot it. I came from a 6, which I loved.

Am I alone in this? Is the problem the phone or IOS 11? I’m thinking of getting rid of the 8 and buying a 7...
Hi Snow-Dweller... I totally get your sentiments. I have posted a few times (buried in this thread) about the travails of my 8.

I used to be able to get a good signal on my 5s in a concrete box store, but the 8 is dead as a doornail in same location.
Screen freezes on white sometimes, and won't agree to toggle to another display (from google to phone to text to camera, for example) at least once or twice a week. I have been using my phone more than the usual, and hence experiencing same issues more frequently (unresolved by software updates).
My 5s was a perfect size for me, but it was almost under its tombstone which is why I had no choice, none, but to procure another device. I have to stay with Apple, so Android was not an option.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:34 AM   #620
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

I'm going to hate on IOS 11. My 7 worked fine until I updated to 11, then it started having all sorts if annoying problems. The IT wizards at work fixed a bunch of my problems, but 11 really did dramatically change my opinion of Apple for the worse (shouldn't need a masters in information management to manage a phone).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:22 AM   #621
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I had some minor issues when iOS 11 was initially released, but after upgrading to 11.1 (I think?), the issues went away.
Old 4 December 2017, 06:38 AM   #622
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
11.2 update today with more bug fixes.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 08:53 AM   #623
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'm going to hate on IOS 11. My 7 worked fine until I updated to 11, then it started having all sorts if annoying problems. The IT wizards at work fixed a bunch of my problems, but 11 really did dramatically change my opinion of Apple for the worse (shouldn't need a masters in information management to manage a phone).

So you’re saying it’s not my 8 that’s wrong...it’s IOS 11....in which case there’s (obviously) not point in my swapping it for a 7...

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:10 AM   #624
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
11.2 update today with more bug fixes.
Quote:
So you’re saying it’s not my 8 that’s wrong...it’s IOS 11....in which case there’s (obviously) not point in my swapping it for a 7...
I just updated with 11.2 on my 8 this afternoon.... we'll see what happens now...
However, not sure the recent fixes will improve reception.. (which is a disappointment compared to 5s, and not related to actual phone service in same places, including my vehicle)
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:06 PM   #625
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I was in Cupertino on iPhone X launch day and nearly pulled the trigger. I was fourth from the from the front of the queue when I was reminded by Mrs Van D how much the lack of a home button annoyed me when I was playing with it previously. I backed off and bought an 8 Plus instead and, given the reported poor battery life of the X, I'm glad I did.

I upgraded from a 6S Plus, which I loved, and the 8 smokes it. I also bought a standard 8 for Mum Van D (an upgrade from her 5S) and she loves it.

iOS 11 is a real PITA though. The ideas are great but the execution is flawed and needs some serious bug fixes before it turns into the debacle that was iOS 9.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:21 PM   #626
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I was in Cupertino on iPhone X launch day and nearly pulled the trigger. I was fourth from the from the front of the queue when I was reminded by Mrs Van D how much the lack of a home button annoyed me when I was playing with it previously. I backed off and bought an 8 Plus instead and, given the reported poor battery life of the X, I'm glad I did.

I upgraded from a 6S Plus, which I loved, and the 8 smokes it. I also bought a standard 8 for Mum Van D (an upgrade from her 5S) and she loves it.

iOS 11 is a real PITA though. The ideas are great but the execution is flawed and needs some serious bug fixes before it turns into the debacle that was iOS 9.
There has been poor battery life reported on the X? I have much better performance on my X than I got out of my 7, using all the same apps.

Did they report any particular apps that are battery killers?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:56 PM   #627
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
There has been poor battery life reported on the X? I have much better performance on my X than I got out of my 7, using all the same apps.

As do I and battery life much better than my old 7+.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 12:27 AM   #628
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
As do I and battery life much better than my old 7+.
Ditto.
Old 5 December 2017, 12:30 AM   #629
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:

Same here, my X has much, much better battery life than the 6 I replaced.
The more I use my X the more I like it. It’s not revolutionary, but it is a nice step forward.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 12:51 AM   #630
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Wes, if you could hear how absolutely amazing the Shure 846SE's are you'd understand my audio jack bitching issue that I'm talking about.

BTW, you never reported back on the Philips cans...
I am sure those sound great. My only thought was that people usually listen to music on their phones when they are on the go so convenience is more important than quality. This is where BT headphones really shine. Not having to deal with cords is great when you’re on the go.

People gave Apple the hardest time for eliminating the headphone jack, but we’re now seeing this with high end Android phones. The Pixel, Essential, Moto Z all got rid of the jack. My guess is that Samsung and LG are going to do the same shortly.

The X2s were awesome headphones. The sound quality was excellent, however, I could not keep them on for any extended period of time. They are heavy so the top of my head started to hurt and the earcups made my ears really hot. I sold them and tried a couple pairs of Master & Dynamics cans (MW50 and MW60). Both sounded great, but the BT was spotty and they were uncomfortable.

I have been using the QC35s for a few months now and they have been great. I think the sound quality is pretty good and the comfort is out of this world.