The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 October 2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Advice from London members

Hi guys,

Firstly my apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I was left a watch by my grandfather in his will. I can't seem to find out anything about it online, it appears to be old as my grandfather said it was bought by his grandfather.

Wanted to ask our London members if there is anywhere you would recommend to go for someone to give me some more information about the watch?

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
How about a photo or two?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Hi Adam, sure I'll attach them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Old 12 October 2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Such willpower not to lift that tempting-looking tab covering the movement - come on man, open it up!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:21 AM   #5
meganfox17
Banned

Hello Sarosh

I guess I'm an uninvited guest on your thread huh , just a poor defenseless Asian girl from a member country of the Commonwealth of Nations so my thoughts are not to be taken seriously but at least it may shed some light on your mysterious GP Vintage Rectagular timepiece. I use to hang out in the Vintage section of the Omega Forum with the lots of "Oldies" so perhaps I should apply some of my knowledge and keep on learning. Yeah ! What the Heck ! Let's give it a shot then ! Your London Vintage Experts can confirm , laugh at and refute my statements , I'm cool with that

The reason why you and everyone else are struggling to identify the watch is because these are Pre World War War 2 Art Deco timepieces, made in limited numbers in the Turbulent Thirties . It was a very prosperous decade that perfected watches from the Roaring Twenties , seen in all major Swiss manufacturers like Rolex, Omega , Longines , Universal Geneva , JLC , GP etc etc . Simultaneously watch designers were given the ultimate freedom to express their creativity, to indulge in a myriad of luxurious and lavish cases, shapes and styles .They were not mass produced of course , watch brands were churning out different fashionable designs every season if you like , many made according to customer's specs !

The primary reason why I think the watch was manufactured in the thirties is the lugs design. One the defining features of a Art Deco vintage watch of the 30s is the really exaggerated lugs design , here they resemble Horns of a Ram ! Other lugs design include tear drop, twisted , steppe lugs, claw hands , etc you get the idea ! Generally speaking wristwatches of the twenties had very short lugs , in other words , no emphasis were made on the lugs design

I think your GP Art Deco rectangular ? manual winding timepiece has 14K gold markers and handsets , the markers on the seconds subdial are pretty sharp ( it makes me wonder whether the watch was a redial! ), crown looks original , I'm amazed the watch itself is in immaculate condition, almost mint-like. I'm placing the production year in the early 30s when the Honourable Mr Ramsay MacDonald was Prime Minister of Great Britain. I guess you believe the watch is much older huh, but I'm just saying what's in your photos..

Of course all will be revealed once the caseback is opened, movements examined, the engravings on the inner caseback will provide information on manufacturer

So how much is your heirloom Art Deco 14 K Gold watch worth ? I'm not a vintage Guru like I pointed out , just a street style Punk girl but I'm placing a value of between £1000 -£1200

Now let the London Vintage experts examine and date your watch , confirm its authenticity , costs of servicing and any little restoration if necessary and finally evaluating your heirloom watch !

Ok ! I had fun here.Thank you Sarosh for allowing a Non-Londoner to say a few words on your thread.

Good Luck, Best Wishes & God Speed-Dy !

-Megan-
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:33 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Burlington Arcade has a few vintage stores and Austin Kaye.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:59 AM   #7
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Thanks Neil I'll check it out some point next week.

Megan thanks for the information invaluable knowledge!
Old 13 October 2017, 04:05 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Thanks Neil I'll check it out some point next week.

Megan thanks for the information invaluable knowledge!
update us when you know as I'm curious. Megan has better info, but I looked and i found some similar ones from the 1940's but the style of the lugs was less pronounced so its probably earlier. To my eyes the 1940's one was what yours evolved into.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:05 AM   #9
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Hello Sarosh
The reason why you and everyone else are struggling to identify the watch is because these are Pre World War War 2 Art Deco timepieces, made in limited numbers in the Turbulent Thirties . It was a very prosperous decade that perfected watches from the Roaring Twenties , seen in all major Swiss manufacturers like Rolex, Omega , Longines , Universal Geneva , JLC , GP etc etc .
I agree that the watch probably dates from the Thirties, but where in the world were the Thirties a prosperous decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:08 AM   #10
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Hi Tyler, even I had a look and saw lug designs from the 1940's which looked slightly different. I asked my dads brother about the watch and all he said was that it was solid gold and very old.....if only they kept the papers back in those days!!!

Will most likely go to Burlington arcade next Monday at some point and make some enquiries. I am truly tempted to take the case back off but don't want to ruin the watch. It does wind and run.
Old 13 October 2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Leeq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I agree that the watch probably dates from the Thirties, but where in the world were the Thirties a prosperous decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression
Hahahaha
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 02:24 AM   #12
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Hi lady & gents!

Just thought I'd update you all. Went to Burlington arcade today with the watch and they directed me to Bonhams. I have met with them and the lady there has taken pictures and she will go away and find out some more information about it. However she did echo what Megan said about it being Art Deco design most likely from around 1930's. She said the watch was in a decent shape as the manual wind was still working fine. I wound it yesterday and set the time and it's still ticking along.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:33 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi lady & gents!

Just thought I'd update you all. Went to Burlington arcade today with the watch and they directed me to Bonhams. I have met with them and the lady there has taken pictures and she will go away and find out some more information about it. However she did echo what Megan said about it being Art Deco design most likely from around 1930's. She said the watch was in a decent shape as the manual wind was still working fine. I wound it yesterday and set the time and it's still ticking along.
Thanks for the update
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 October 2017, 03:38 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Makes sense has that Reverso Art Deco vibe. If they make any more Poirots you could lend it over and make some nice bank.
Old 27 October 2017, 04:18 AM   #15
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
She said the watch was in a decent shape as the manual wind was still working fine. I wound it yesterday and set the time and it's still ticking along.
She only said in decent shape ? Hello Sweetheart ! That's a high grade art deco wristwatch .The unpolished casing is in excellent condition, almost pristine like .Vintage rectangular watches unlike rounded designs easily admit moisture and dust , the fact that your dial is clean without any discoloration speaks volumes on intactness of the casing , a very lucky watch that has survived the ravages of time.Oh! Did she happen to disclose that your vintage GP dial alone is worth about 40% of the value of the watch ? She didn't, did she ?

I'm not surprised now that you have mentioned the manual winding is still operational because GP is a true manufacture, the quality of its vintage movement is unrivalled, among the very best.

Your watch is a premium example of Pre WW2 Era, the fashion of the 30s, the Calm before the Storm, so I want you to act like Mr Cool if the Watch Antique dealer offers to buy the GP Art Deco timepiece from You....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 04:21 AM   #16
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Makes sense has that Reverso Art Deco vibe. If they make any more Poirots you could lend it over and make some nice bank.
I would indeed! I love Poirot!!!
Old 27 October 2017, 04:23 AM   #17
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
She only said in decent shape ? Hello Sweetheart ! That's a high grade art deco wristwatch .The unpolished casing is in excellent condition, almost pristine like .Vintage rectangular watches unlike rounded designs easily admit moisture and dust , the fact that your dial is clean without any discoloration speaks volumes on intactness of the casing , a very lucky watch that has survived the ravages of time.Oh! Did she happen to disclose that your vintage GP dial alone is worth about 40% of the value of the watch ? She didn't, did she ?

I'm not surprised now that you have mentioned the manual winding is still operational because GP is a true manufacture, the quality of its vintage movement is unrivalled, among the very best.

Your watch is a premium example of Pre WW2 Era, the fashion of the 30s, the Calm before the Storm, so I want you to act like Mr Cool if the Watch Antique dealer offers to buy the GP Art Deco timepiece from You....
Hi Megan,

Yeah I will play it cool.

Will be interesting to see what she says. She did say it was an unusual one for her.
Old 27 October 2017, 05:22 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

did you happen to find out if the manufacture will service such an old watch like AP or PP's restoration departments will? It would be pretty cool to have it serviced and get some sort of documentation from the manufacture like a GP equivalent of an extract from the archives if they do that. I have no idea, just wishful thinking on my part if i had such a cool old watch with family history.
Old 27 October 2017, 06:05 AM   #19
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

That's a good point Tyler, I might give GP a call tomorrow and ask them. Definiatey a keeper. The dial is really clean, after what Megan said I had a proper look with a magnifying glass. No imperfections at all. It's not on it's factory strap, but no leather strap could surely last that long if it was worn back in the day. She didn't open the case back which is a shame ask would have loved to have seen the movement. Is this something you think I can do myself? Or leave it alone?
Old 27 October 2017, 11:53 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would indeed! I love Poirot!!!
He was the best. I love Oxford and Morse and Lewis but Hercule was the man. A friend of mine worked on the crew, said they were a bunch of d**ks.
Old 27 October 2017, 07:05 PM   #21
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
He was the best. I love Oxford and Morse and Lewis but Hercule was the man. A friend of mine worked on the crew, said they were a bunch of d**ks.
Really? Wouldn't have thought that! I love the dramatisation of it and the period setting. Better than all the sky scrapers and mobile phones of today!!!! Good old steam trains and posh people with pocket watches o
Old 21 November 2017, 09:41 PM   #22
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, whilst still waiting to hear back from Bonhams, I thought I'd pop the back off the watch. See the pics below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”