The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 November 2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Lange
Banned

Icon5 Datograph Up/Down or Double Split

Which one would you buy?

One is a 10 year old watch other is relatively new. They both have amazing looking movements but the double split just has that extra oomph with the thicker case and the unique complication. Datograph has the iconic date window which I wish the double split had. Double split is twice as expensive on the secondary market than the datograph.

Which one do you think has the better looking movement? The escapement of the double split is mostly hidden which is a negative.

For me the double split is just so much more bad ass and more significant horologicaly.

What are your opinions?

Here is a fantastic article comparing 5370p to the double split. I just had to share.

http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/12/face...ttrapante.html

Pictures from Google.

Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:17 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Here is what I will tell you as someone who has owned both platinum Datograph and platinum DS. The DS is quite heavy and large with a protruding case back. You really need to get a feel for it. While it is an incredible watch and spectacular looking it can wear quite uncomfortable! My wrist pretty large too and I own plenty of big heavy watches but the DS was tough to enjoy while on the wrist. So for me I actually prefer the less desirable, less complicated, and less weight Dato.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:32 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Both are amazing, but I prefer (and bought) the dato. Took a while to get used to the size and weight, not sure I could've handled the double split
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The double split seems like the ultimate but also for most people a watch too large and heavy to wear regularly. And the direct experience outlined above seems to confirm that.

I guess if there's a chance it won't get regular wrist time then what's the point.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:54 AM   #5
PJ S
Banned

Of the choice as presented, the split grabs me the most, mostly because of the two large sub-dials – however, if faced with the option of buying the Split for what it can be had for pre-owned, I’d have to contemplate whether it’s worth double the cost of the GO Senator Rattrapante.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:13 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd go for the DS of those two, tho I most prefer the face of the original Dato but not its small size.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Lange
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Here is what I will tell you as someone who has owned both platinum Datograph and platinum DS. The DS is quite heavy and large with a protruding case back. You really need to get a feel for it. While it is an incredible watch and spectacular looking it can wear quite uncomfortable! My wrist pretty large too and I own plenty of big heavy watches but the DS was tough to enjoy while on the wrist. So for me I actually prefer the less desirable, less complicated, and less weight Dato.
Thank you for the insight. I can see the DS being uncomfortable to wear. But I didn't think it would be more uncomfortable than say the 44 RG ROO. Is the DS more uncomfortable than the PT or RG ROO? Im guessing you have tried them. I was thinking of getting the platinum deployment clasp to balance the weight a bit.

How would you compare the movements of the datograph and DS? Is the DS much better to look at?
Old 16 November 2017, 02:25 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would go dato. The big date is a feature I would miss whereas the DS is a feature I’d never use.

And while I don’t have 1/10th the experience of ken I have worn the DS the Dato and all variations of the 44. The 44 in all metals is more comfortable than the dato and certainly more so than the DS. The 44 hugs the wrist with a wide and supportive strap whereas the DS sits proud of the wrist with its more traditional case and strap.
Old 16 November 2017, 03:34 PM   #9
regnant
"TRF" Member

I would go for the Double Split because it's a uni movement and I am not fond of the way A Lange Sohne uses the characters in date window. Some parts of the numbers are thicker and looks like filled. It may become a personal taste but I dislike it
Rolex, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and many have better looking numbers in date apertures
Old 16 November 2017, 06:18 PM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
For me the trademark of a Lange is the big date window
Old 16 November 2017, 06:51 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

That version of the Dato is my grail, so it would be an easy choice for me
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Lange
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
That version of the Dato is my grail, so it would be an easy choice for me
Second hand prices are very reasonable. Why not go ahead and get one?
Old 16 November 2017, 07:22 PM   #13
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
Thank you for the insight. I can see the DS being uncomfortable to wear. But I didn't think it would be more uncomfortable than say the 44 RG ROO. Is the DS more uncomfortable than the PT or RG ROO? Im guessing you have tried them. I was thinking of getting the platinum deployment clasp to balance the weight a bit.

How would you compare the movements of the datograph and DS? Is the DS much better to look at?
The DS was the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned. The 44 RG is far more comfortable that much I can guarantee you as someone who has owned and wore both. Again it is an amazing watch to hold and look at but wearing it is a diffeeent story. Again the protruding case back is plain uncomfortable and there is no way around that. I speak form actual ownership versus others who would have no real idea. My wrist is also 7.5 inches so believe me I can pull off the size. The size isn’t the issue though with the DS it’s the watch itself. The movement of the DS is incredible and superior to the Dato but again you still have to wear and enjoy the watch. There is one other member here who owns a DS that I sold him and I know he prefers his Dato for the same reasons I have shared with you.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 16 November 2017, 07:24 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Second hand prices are very reasonable. Why not go ahead and get one?
its got to be new, especially because its my grail.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:55 PM   #15
Lange
Banned

Quote:
The DS was the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned. The 44 RG is far more comfortable that much I can guarantee you as someone who has owned and wore both. Again it is an amazing watch to hold and look at but wearing it is a diffeeent story. Again the protruding case back is plain uncomfortable and there is no way around that. I speak form actual ownership versus others who would have no real idea. My wrist is also 7.5 inches so believe me I can pull off the size. The size isn’t the issue though with the DS it’s the watch itself. The movement of the DS is incredible and superior to the Dato but again you still have to wear and enjoy the watch. There is one other member here who owns a DS that I sold him and I know he prefers his Dato for the same reasons I have shared with you.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Its pretty cool that you have owned both. Seems like the dato is the way to go just for the wearability. Lange probably stopped producing the DS in platinum because of how uncomfortable it was to wear. I just can't get over fact that the DS has a unique complication that no other wrist watch has and is truly a complicated piece. Much more so than the dato which appeals to me greatly. I imagine it will also be much more fun to play with compared to the dato. Although if I do buy it I won't be wearing it more than once a week since I have other daily wearers.
Old 16 November 2017, 08:05 PM   #16
HL65

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Its pretty cool that you have owned both. Seems like the dato is the way to go just for the wearability. Lange probably stopped producing the DS in platinum because of how uncomfortable it was to wear. I just can't get over fact that the DS has a unique complication that no other wrist watch has and is truly a complicated piece. Much more so than the dato which appeals to me greatly. I imagine it will also be much more fun to play with compared to the dato. Although if I do buy it I won't be wearing it more than once a week since I have other daily wearers.
If you are only going to wear once a week then perhaps you can put up with it's uncomfortable wear. Again it is an amazing watch, amazing complications, and pretty rare as well. It is mesmerizing once you flip the watch around and get lost in that movement! If you want to wear it regularly then it's just not the best choice. I can tell you also at the time I owned the platinum Zeitwerk and Patek 5070P and both were worn and enjoyed much more! Good luck with your decision...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 16 November 2017, 09:52 PM   #17
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

OP - Steve Hallock (Ticktocking) has a nice video review of the double split on his YouTube channel. I had just watched it again on the way to work yesterday morning.

While the double is out of budget for me but I have owned the Dato Up/Down for a few years. All I can do therefore is offer some photos of encouragement!

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 10:13 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
If you are only going to wear once a week then perhaps you can put up with it's uncomfortable wear. Again it is an amazing watch, amazing complications, and pretty rare as well. It is mesmerizing once you flip the watch around and get lost in that movement! If you want to wear it regularly then it's just not the best choice. I can tell you also at the time I owned the platinum Zeitwerk and Patek 5070P and both were worn and enjoyed much more! Good luck with your decision...
The Zeitwerk is good to hear, and personally, OP, that would be my first choice Lange. I tried on the gold and it felt fine. Check it out, esp when the time changes over, it is just magic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 12:08 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Yet again this site is behaving inconsistently when it comes to links – fixed now!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 06:55 AM   #20
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Yet again this site is behaving inconsistently when it comes to links – fixed now!
is it a teaser or just a plain horror story ?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 08:38 AM   #21
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Ken makes good points on the DS. I owned one and struggled at first but as soon as I put it on deployant it worked much better for me but it is still a large watch that is very prone in daily wear. Notwithstanding this what an amazing watch and movement. I do have some regrets selling but easy to buy back if I feel the urge. I also owned the Dato Perpetual and found that a more acceptable fit but struggle with legibility given my failing eyesight (tor the same reason I am still agonising over the Dato Perpetual Tourbillon which I think is one of the nicest looking watches on sale today). Not owned the regular chrono I am afraid so can't comment on that.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:09 PM   #22
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I own the Dato.. I love it.. I think the PR indicator is a more useful complication
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 11:10 PM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I own the Dato.. I love it.. I think the PR indicator is a more useful complication
PR very useful on any manual wind. Fortunately both these references have one
Old 17 November 2017, 11:26 PM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Reads like gospel to me.
Old 18 November 2017, 04:58 AM   #25
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Another vote for Dato.
Old 19 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #26
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The DS is undoubtably an awesome achievement and the back is second to none. But I don't know if I could go 1/2 and hour without banging that watch into something, it's so thick! And the idea that it's a six digit watch that isn't comfortable seems to be problematic to me.

But other than thickness and wearability it is cool in every way.

BTW, the video referenced above is very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6xiNeFQ-w
Old 7 December 2017, 02:17 PM   #27
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
I felt my ears burning so I had to reply. While I agree with most of what Ken has said here, I personally wouldn’t characterize the DS as “the most uncomfortable watch I’ve ever worn”, however, I would agree that it certainly is a big, heavy watch and the Dato is much more comfortable as a daily wear. I also have no trouble pulling off large watches, but I guess it comes down to your overall collection and the number of watches in your rotation in order to determine if it’s really “too large”. I love the uniqueness and complexity of the DS, but it would be a tough one to wear everyday, especially with the activities I experience. The Dato, in any metal imo, can be worn anytime, anywhere, and I do.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote