The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2017, 12:57 PM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Overheard a portion of this conversation while at Nordstrom's. A male customer was asking his wife whether or not he ought to wear his watch (no specific brand mentioned) while taking part in an upcoming Civil War reenactment. She apparently had no answer and replied that it was strictly up to him.

Which got me to thinking. When one is actively participating in a historical reenactment (i.e. Renaissance Faire, Civil War, colonial Williamsburg et al), should the watch be left at home? While it is always handy to have one on, I'm picturing things like portrayals of King Henry VIII waving a turkey drumstick and wearing a GMT, a dancing harlequin sporting a vintage Submariner, a Confederate soldier awaiting word on Vicksburg and checking his TT DateJust, or a colonial blacksmith with a Daytona pounding horseshoes on an anvil.

The same might be said of having a smartphone on hand as well. For it to ring (and be answered) during these various historical reenactments would seemingly appear kind of ludicrous to onlookers and attendees (i.e. one of the Founding Fathers responding to a incoming text message).

Surprisingly, there was no mention of carrying a pocket watch in lieu of the Rolex/Omega/Seiko etc.
Just curious, where in the Bay area do they have civil war reenactments? Hopefully not on Alcatraz!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 05:39 PM   #32
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Just curious, where in the Bay area do they have civil war reenactments? Hopefully not on Alcatraz!
Those customers might have been 'out-of-towners' or visitors/tourists. I've never heard of a civil war or colonial reenactment in the bay area. It would seem out of place. There is a renaissance faire held further south during the fall season. I think it's in Hollister.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:34 PM   #33
Ally9
Banned

Do you ever tire of dreaming up the most bizarre stories involving overheard conversations?

What next? A conversation about which hand a guy wipes his ass with whilst wearing his rolex?
Ally9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:37 PM   #34
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
Do you ever tire of dreaming up the most bizarre stories involving overheard conversations?

What next? A conversation about which hand a guy wipes his ass with whilst wearing his rolex?
There was a great one about a guy at a Chili's restaurant who was wearing his mom's lady DJ.. and confessed to breastfeeding until elementary school
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:40 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

well, etiquette dictates you are supposed to use your left to wipe in many parts of the world, so you can shake hands & eat with your right. For most, that means one messy Rolex since that is the hand most wear their watch.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 05:11 AM   #36
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:

Maybe you need to get out more. As far as confirming your 'Rolex-related' query, I'll leave that investigative reportage up to you. I prefer go to the toilet (or restroom stall) by myself.

Then again, you are entitled to your preferences and certain 'predispositions'.
Old 23 November 2017, 06:07 AM   #37
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

On a date.

these hoes tryin to steal your bitcoin
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 06:26 AM   #38
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Last time I was abducted they tried to insert the probe, but I told them I didn't roll that way, so they brought in a female alien to collect the sample.

Since this is G-rated I won't go into details other then to confide that when she was finished she said "nice Rolex." Aliens have good tastes in watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
During an Alien Abduction!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_abduction

Not sure about this but... I know a guy - who knows a guy - who overheard a guy at cocktail party over some small ordure's who mentioned this... I guess he got abducted with a Rolex on!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 06:43 AM   #39
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Last time I was abducted they tried to insert the probe, but I told them I didn't roll that way, so they brought in a female alien to collect the sample.

Since this is G-rated I won't go into details other then to confide that when she was finished she said "nice Rolex." Aliens have good tastes in watches.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 06:45 AM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
There was a great one about a guy at a Chili's restaurant who was wearing his mom's lady DJ.. and confessed to breastfeeding until elementary school
Memorable, yes. Disturbing, yes.

Great, no.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 08:08 AM   #41
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.7 KB, 50 views)
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:38 AM   #42
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Memorable, yes. Disturbing, yes.
Great, no.
Concurring. Had we gone out for Japanese food that evening instead of Chili's, the worst (or weirdest) recollection might have been observing some diner eating sushi with a fork. The respective watch brand and its case diameter would have remained somewhat insignificant. Maybe.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:57 PM   #43
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:21 AM   #44
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

I heard they are allergic to Platinum
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote