The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2017, 02:20 PM   #31
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I could live 60 years on a million dollars if I needed to. I'd move to Thailand, buy a modest condo, go swimming everyday, and be happy

IDK why so many people feel entitled to McMansions, luxury cars, vacation homes, etc.
Ha! Just talked to a good friend the other day who did that in his 40's. Never married and just wakes up reads that paper in the morning, looks at the markets, plays golf, lays by the pool and works out. He is over 50 now so he has retirement status now but still leaves Thailand to go to the Philippines for a month and few weeks here and there to the States. He love sit!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 02:37 PM   #32
Magwitch
Banned

Anything from AARP is the absolute least trustworthy statistic. My advisor tells me that the two considerations in retirement are debt and lifestyle. As you probably have ascertained by now, I have neither and consider myself the better for it.

Mrs. Magbitch and I live on SS and two small pensions. I put my 401(k) funds into an annuity in 2009 which yields an annual step-up of 7% net of fees, unless the investments do better than that, in which case I get the greater. Obviously it has grown over the last 8 years, and I have not taken it yet. Payout continues for 20 years or until I drop dead, whichever is later.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:02 PM   #33
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I could live 60 years on a million dollars if I needed to. I'd move to Thailand, buy a modest condo, go swimming everyday, and be happy

IDK why so many people feel entitled to McMansions, luxury cars, vacation homes, etc.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:05 PM   #34
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
Ha! Just talked to a good friend the other day who did that in his 40's. Never married and just wakes up reads that paper in the morning, looks at the markets, plays golf, lays by the pool and works out. He is over 50 now so he has retirement status now but still leaves Thailand to go to the Philippines for a month and few weeks here and there to the States. He love sit!
This is potentially my future. Life long bachelor semi retired but only plan on working at my current job a few more years. If that.

Then swim, do yoga, volunteer with rescue dogs and drink a few beers in the Philippines or Thailand.
Old 21 November 2017, 10:50 PM   #35
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
$1MM, 17 years in NY... Where do I sign up for that?
olean ny.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:51 PM   #36
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Just depends on the type of lifestyle you want in retirement. I would have to do something to get banned from TRF. This place makes money fly out of your wallet!!
swatchforums

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:57 PM   #37
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
This was almost me. I married when I was 40. Until then, my life was relatively easy and carefree. Sure, I was the same anxious guy that I am now, but I really had very little in terms of long term responsibility.

Being married, and I love being married and am grateful to my wife, it adds a bit of stress. Especially as she has a health condition that requires we are near a hospital that has the capability to address her medical requirements. But
I digress.

That all said, I too think if push comes to shove, I could survive a very long time on a million dollars. I would need to curtail my current spending habits, but that is ultimately very easy.

When it all comes down to it, I have everything I need, and need nothing more except health insurance and food.

There is a big part of me that absolutely loves the idea of making a change now. Get out of my business, get a job working at a gym, collect a paycheck and have health insurance.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:09 PM   #38
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
If you pay off your home that's been maintained and you have a few cars paid off as well... and a collection of items that make you personally happy, you can easily live on a dime and still be quite happy in retirement. It's the people who continue to roll over credit and continue to suck their equity out of their homes and everything else under the sun to live the 'high-life' that end up living in struggle when that time comes. Be smart and you'll be fine...

/\ This /\

Debt at retirement age is rampant, and void of economic responsibility. Most (here in the states) have lived far beyond their means playing the “look at me” game.
Old 21 November 2017, 11:55 PM   #39
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Far too many flawed assumptions for this to be useful.

They also do not take into account earnings on the principal as well as future inflation
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:19 AM   #40
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
olean ny.

Well how about that, just learned something new.

Olean (/ˈoʊliːæn/ ᴏʜ-lee-an) is a city in Cattaraugus County, New York, United States. Olean is the largest city in Cattaraugus County and serves as its financial, business, transportation and entertainment center. It is one of the principal cities of the Southern Tier region of New York.

The city is surrounded by the town of Olean and is located in the southeastern part of the county. The population was 14,452 at the 2010 census.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #41
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

They also do not take into account earnings on the principal as well as future inflation

Agree -
IMHO the headline is written for “link bait” value. An accurate description is an unscientific review of living costs in the 50 States.

To get to their flawed stat they simple extrapolated costs, and did a little long division without regard to active wealth management.

But I will agree Hawaii is more expensive than Mississippi

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:37 AM   #42
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It's the people who continue to roll over credit and continue to suck their equity out of their homes and everything else under the sun to live the 'high-life' that end up living in struggle when that time comes.
It's the new slavery......and people actually volunteer for it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:39 AM   #43
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
I have spent over 40k a year on medical alone.....so if you dont get sick, need glasses, see a dentist etc....you may can make it off 1 million for 20+ years but dont bet on it.....I retired at 49 thinking we had plenty to last till 80+....was I so wrong ......thinking CD rates would never drop below 4 points etc. I would double the amount just to be sure. Ive been told I have 2-5 more to live with all the autoimmune and MS, diabetes, heart problems....hell i could die next week. Im going to run out of life before money but for the average guy/gal/family I would say closer to 2 million? min to live a decent life style, to travel, buy Rolexes,help grand kids if you have them and not having to sit home watching the wheel of fortune because of limited funds etc...and if your house is paid off thats a big plus also.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:51 AM   #44
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I would be interested to know how this same calculation applies to other countries where ex-pats typically go.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:57 AM   #45
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
$1M living in TRF will only last 6 months.

6 months is pushing it
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #46
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I would be interested to know how this same calculation applies to other countries where ex-pats typically go.
We plan on leaving, when the time comes. More of a lateral move though, more so than a lower cost of living.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:33 AM   #47
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Under normal circumstances, but not during ZIRP. How do you safely get 5% per year without the risk of losing principal? Just like last week, GE halved it’s dividend overnight.
That was being predicted weeks before it happened. But until it does you never know. Hopefully the people depending on it for income sold out before the cut. VZ pays a great dividend, as do GM and F. Of course there are others...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:54 AM   #48
larsr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

The value in the analysis is not the absolute conclusions, but the relative ranking among states for "mean expenses". That is useful, albeit not terribly surprising that on average your money will last longer in Alabama compared to Hawaii.
larsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 06:44 AM   #49
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I thought TX would do well before I read it but #8 is better than I expected.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:47 PM   #50
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
This is potentially my future. Life long bachelor semi retired but only plan on working at my current job a few more years. If that.

Then swim, do yoga, volunteer with rescue dogs and drink a few beers in the Philippines or Thailand.
Take me with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:48 PM   #51
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
6 months is pushing it
And only about four to a Tumi addict
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:08 PM   #52
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
How Long $1 Million Will Last in Retirement in Every State

This is like asking how long will u live. No real answer. Invest and get lucky and it could last forever. Just in cash depends on lifestyle and location. We ate at Daniel in NYC a few years ago and I’d say about 1000 dinners...... I’m not even going into cars or boats. Heck a new 430 Boston Whaler will set you back $800k for a center console. Spend wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 04:16 AM   #53
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Retiring in 8 months to Mississippi....seriously.

:)
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 10:36 PM   #54
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Take me with you
Absolutely Paul.
Old 25 November 2017, 12:32 AM   #55
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
You don't have to get pure "income" stocks to get a 5% return. If you've got a million to invest, you should get a return in capital growth of considerably in excess of 5% pa, when averaged out over a few years. Decent growth stocks (or funds more likely) should give you capital growth of an average of 10% - 20% pa over any decent period of 5 - 10 years.
After a 10 year long, liquidity-driven rally, I’m personally not so confident that those assertions will play out

The implications calculated in this report for returns across asset classes of prices mean reverting after this period are sobering (and hopefully wrong!!!)
http://www.tramuntalegria.com/wp-con...-Crisis-db.pdf
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 10:00 AM   #56
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
$1M living in TRF will only last 6 months.
Exactly
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote