The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 November 2017, 03:49 PM   #1
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Buying Abroad

If I buy a watch in either France or Switzerland while traveling, how do the taxes work? VAT refund? Is there a price advantage? How about import duties upon returning to the US? Thanks is advance.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 04:01 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
If I buy a watch in either France or Switzerland while traveling, how do the taxes work? VAT refund? Is there a price advantage? How about import duties upon returning to the US? Thanks is advance.
AFAIK and last time I checked UK pricing (including VAT) is almost the same as US pricing (including sales tax) so with a VAT refund you get the best deal. Europe pricing (France) is higher than US pricing but with a VAT refund you save money but not as much as the UK. Switzerland I dont know but the VAT is only 8% vs 20% in most of Europe. I'm only speaking to AP's prices as i assume that is what you are after.

There will be import duties if you declare the watch but im not sure about how much it is.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 07:04 PM   #3
OP15
"TRF" Member

I purchased a watch in France to bring back to the US. A few things...

The boutique will fill out all the necessary paperwork for the VAT refund for you to take to the airport.

Make sure you list a "credit card" to receive the VAT refund - for whatever reason, the system is not debit card friendly.

If you declare the item, there will be import duties. They have specific formulas depending on the type of item. I don't remember exactly, but I paid under $2k for a watch over $50k.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote