The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 May 2016, 03:39 AM   #1
Igor01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 15400
Quick thoughts on the first 24 hours of Sub-C ownership

No groundbreaking discoveries here, just a few quick impressions while I can still see the Sub with a set of fresh eyes of a novice. This is my first Rolex - I am a recently self-reformed former Rolex hater and a horological snob who thought that he would never wear a Rolex even if he were gifted one. We all know the type :)

Anyway, the Sub is a fine watch indeed, all the Rolex Coolaid drinkers were definitely onto something. It definitely relays the sense of solidly built automata and will probably stand to years of normal (careful, but not obsessively so) use nicely. The handsome brushed finish will certainly help to hide the small marks and scratches. The bracelet is a mixed bag so far - the Glidelock design is undoubtedly a brilliant idea but the bulky clasp housing that comes with it I could easily do without. Not that it's very uncomfortable but I am much more aware of it than my other metal bracelet watches. Another funny thing about the bracelet - I actually had to put a bit of silicone lube onto the mounting points where the bracelet joins case and the clasp - they had a low but perceptible squeal of steel on steel when the watch shifted slightly with the wrist movement. That one puzzled me a bit - not that it's a major thing but I haven't seen this on my other watches and definitely didn't expect this from such a high quality watch maker.

Another point that will take some time to get used to - the caseback sticks out a fair bit causing the watch sit a bit high on the wrist. It's not absurdly high or anything but coupled with the fairly wide lugs this may be a problem for some people with smaller wrists, at least I notice it on mine having got used to watches that sink nicely into the wrist. The higher watch stance can make it slightly less "stable" on the wrist and make it shift a tiny bit more, creating a feeling of a top-heavy watch or making the bracelet move against the skin on the sides which I don't mind all that much but definitely notice. I am really nit-picking right now though, none of these "negative" points are really significant, but since I have had the watch only for 24 hours I am describing what catches my eye from the get-go.

The lume is awesome - definitely longer lasting of all my watches and oh so pretty :) Since it's my first watch with a cyclope, my brain still unconsciously id's it as a foreign object on the dial when I see it at a casual glance (not intentionally looking). I'll get used to that, I imagine. The magnification and the "black hole" effect on the date window are really nice though, I often use the date and with every passing year I appreciate larger, easier to read things more and more. The bezel turning is crisp and precise, with a sharp and pleasant tactile response. No doubt, this will save many a frozen pizza from accidental burning in the oven :) The shiny ceramic bezel finish is very elegant and the black colour really gives the watch a nicely balanced and "rounded" (no pun intended, lol) look.

If I could change whatever I wanted on the sub I'd do the following - flatter caseback, possibly lower profile of the Glidelock clasp and a smoother bracelet with slightly chamfered edges of the links to increase comfort. But, all these are minor points and if I had to give up all but just one watch the Sub would be a very strong contender to stay.

As a frame of reference here - my other "nice" watches are AP 15400 and VC Overseas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub wristie small.jpg (38.9 KB, 1196 views)
File Type: jpg File 2016-04-30, 1 22 01 PM.jpg (88.7 KB, 1194 views)
Old 1 May 2016, 04:04 AM   #2
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Congrats and converts are always welcomed !!!
Wear it in good health and enjoy it for years to come ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 04:06 AM   #3
artschool
"TRF" Member

the squeeking is normal and goes away by itself.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 04:14 AM   #4
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
silicone isnt a lube on steel , but no odds ,,, enjoy your new watch ,, just out of curiosity , what size are your wrists ,,
health to wear.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Igor01
"TRF" Member

My wrists are 6'75". Overall, the Sub looks to be a good size for me in person - my 15400 is only 1mm larger but looks massively bigger and the Overseas is 42mm but looks the same size as the Sub. It's all about the size and shape of the lugs and how flat or round your wrist is. Oh yeah - the actual dial size too, of course.
Old 1 May 2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Congratulations, and excellent feedback!
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 07:45 AM   #7
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nice write up ;

The squeaking is because of the tight fit, after some time it goes away, no lubrication needed. I find this actually a pro. A closer fit is not possible.
Lubricating your bracelet is not a good idea. Grime will stick to the lube and will wear it down much quicker. I would clean it off.

The high case back is good for extra ventilation

Enjoy this rock solid sub
Old 1 May 2016, 11:55 PM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 2 May 2016, 12:36 AM   #9
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I liked the write-up! Do you have wrist-shots of the 15400? I have the same size wrists and found the RO to be too large-looking. I've previously owned a 116610 as well, but wound up with the smaller Daytona because I liked the fit better. I'm back in the market for a Sub Date though!
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 12:54 AM   #10
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Congratulations on your first Rolex. It will be interesting to see how your thought about the Sub evolve with time.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 01:46 AM   #11
Igor01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
I liked the write-up! Do you have wrist-shots of the 15400? I have the same size wrists and found the RO to be too large-looking. I've previously owned a 116610 as well, but wound up with the smaller Daytona because I liked the fit better. I'm back in the market for a Sub Date though!
Thanks! The first time I tried 15400 on my wrist I immediately dismissed it as too large and bought a VC Overseas instead (which is ironically 1mm larger but because of the smaller dial and smaller downward curved lugs wears smaller). When I revisited 15400 a couple years later something must have switched gears in my brain and it suddenly didn't look too big anymore - on the upper limit of what looks ok on my wrist to me, yes, but not too big. Pictures, especially close ups taking with cellphones' crappy optics rarely show how the watch wears on the wrist in real life but here's some to hopefully give you an idea. Much depends on the wrist shape and even the size of the hand and your overall height etc. but I'd say a 15400 should look just fine on a an average sized guy 6.75" wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (74.6 KB, 1104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028.jpg (69.2 KB, 1105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (72.9 KB, 1111 views)
File Type: jpg QRtZgHs.jpg (59.1 KB, 1103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0276.jpg (44.1 KB, 1102 views)
Old 2 May 2016, 08:57 AM   #12
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

Congrats...wear it in good health
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 11:41 PM   #13
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
SubC is a great watch - takes just a little getting used to when compared with the earlier sports models as it feels slightly bigger on the wrist, but a winner no doubt!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:59 AM   #14
Igor01
"TRF" Member

Well, a year has passed and I still like the Sub! In fact, it gets more wrist time than any other watch I have, probably because it's so solid and so versatile. It goes with anything, looks great and does an excellent job of hiding inevitable scratches and scuffs. My sub looses just over a second a day when worn but gains the same amount of time back when it rests dial down during the night, so I almost never have to adjust the time.

My only gripe remains with the relatively high caseback which makes the Sub a little less comfortable to wear than I would have preferred. Having said that, it's still more subtle on the wrist than the Royal Oak and more robust and visually impactful than the Overseas. I could easily choose it to be my only watch if I were to keep just one.

I am very grateful to the collective wisdom of this excellent forum that provided so much information for my research and allowed me to shrug off anti-Rolex prejudice and see the light :) I am actually considering adding a Yachtmaster to the collection, either a blue 116622 or the everrose 116655.
Old 13 May 2017, 08:48 AM   #15
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
Well, a year has passed and I still like the Sub! In fact, it gets more wrist time than any other watch I have, probably because it's so solid and so versatile. It goes with anything, looks great and does an excellent job of hiding inevitable scratches and scuffs. My sub looses just over a second a day when worn but gains the same amount of time back when it rests dial down during the night, so I almost never have to adjust the time.

My only gripe remains with the relatively high caseback which makes the Sub a little less comfortable to wear than I would have preferred. Having said that, it's still more subtle on the wrist than the Royal Oak and more robust and visually impactful than the Overseas. I could easily choose it to be my only watch if I were to keep just one.

I am very grateful to the collective wisdom of this excellent forum that provided so much information for my research and allowed me to shrug off anti-Rolex prejudice and see the light :) I am actually considering adding a Yachtmaster to the collection, either a blue 116622 or the everrose 116655.
Awesome to share an update after one year and nice initial write up!

Just like many of us, I've grow to appreciate Rolex more and more. How do you feel about the Cyclops after one year of use?

Myself initially had mixed feelings, but have come to find it extremely functional and pretty cool now
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 11:38 AM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats, enjoy it!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Igor01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Awesome to share an update after one year and nice initial write up!

Just like many of us, I've grow to appreciate Rolex more and more. How do you feel about the Cyclops after one year of use?

Myself initially had mixed feelings, but have come to find it extremely functional and pretty cool now

I can't add anything to what you wrote about the cyclops date magnifier - it took me a while to get used to it and while I still sometimes wonder if I would enjoy a symmetrical dial more, the functionality of the cyclops is so brilliant and useful, it's definitely a feature I am very happy to have.
Old 13 May 2017, 04:08 PM   #18
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice write up Igor.

One small correction.....a SubC doesn't have the date function.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 02:35 AM   #19
penguin78
"TRF" Member

Quick thoughts on the first 24 hours of Sub-C ownership

Igor please can you show a picture of your three watches - just like visualise / admire your fine watches as a collection
penguin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 11:58 PM   #20
StephenRL
"TRF" Member

Very nice!!
StephenRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 09:16 PM   #21
Sakuru
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Nice looking watch! As you said, "so solid and so versatile".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
I am actually considering adding a Yachtmaster to the collection, either a blue 116622 or the everrose 116655.
Great idea! That should address your reservations about the Sub's bulged caseback, high profile Glidelock clasp and unrefined lugs/bracelet.

Once you've had your YM for a while, please post photos and your thoughts.
Sakuru is offline   Reply With Quote