The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 19 February 2014, 01:11 AM   #91
wctm68

I almost bored with mine. 2 months old and now looking at the TT Sub. That would be a keeper forever !
wctm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 02:16 PM   #92
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctm68 View Post
I almost bored with mine. 2 months old and now looking at the TT Sub. That would be a keeper forever !
Haha I went the other way. Had a blue TT sub that I couldn't wear too often because of the gold. Let it go after a couple of months.

Another collector mentioned that as I get older, I will gravitate towards gold. Haha I don't know. We'll see...
Old 16 March 2014, 09:52 PM   #93
style88
"TRF" Member

Very nice and classy watch.

I heard that the dial would "shimmer" in sunlight. Would be great if you have some daytime in the sun shots!
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 11:25 AM   #94
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by style88 View Post
Very nice and classy watch.

I heard that the dial would "shimmer" in sunlight. Would be great if you have some daytime in the sun shots!

With camera flash...
Old 19 March 2014, 11:36 AM   #95
style88
"TRF" Member

Stunning!

I got to see one in person. !
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 02:03 PM   #96
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by style88 View Post
Stunning!

I got to see one in person. !
Yeah pics really don't do it justice.

Don't know any other watch that can be both flashy and understated at the same time. Haha
Old 26 April 2014, 09:43 AM   #97
Okiedukie

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
Also new to Forum. Thought my first would be the blue dial platinum YM, but am now convinced this is the way to go. No frills, just classy.
I have also had qualms about the wearability of the platinum bezel. Is it tough?
Seems like it might not scratch as easily as gold. I understand it is a patented blend of platinum and steel.
Okiedukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 06:48 PM   #98
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedukie View Post
Also new to Forum. Thought my first would be the blue dial platinum YM, but am now convinced this is the way to go. No frills, just classy.
I have also had qualms about the wearability of the platinum bezel. Is it tough?
Seems like it might not scratch as easily as gold. I understand it is a patented blend of platinum and steel.
The bezel design is such that it can mask scratches better than if it were a plain flat surface.

The polished parts on the bracelet scratch way more easily. Luckily they're easily buffed out.
Old 19 June 2014, 11:52 AM   #99
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
you're kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
The bezel design is such that it can mask scratches better than if it were a plain flat surface.

The polished parts on the bracelet scratch way more easily. Luckily they're easily buffed out.

you can't be serious about your statement on the bezel? i own a 40mm yachtmaster exactly like yours and while i like it i'm realistic about the delicate surface of the platinum bezel, and it's practically common knowledge in the rolex world that the matte section of the bezel is extremely difficult to refinish if scratched and shows ANY imperfections quite vividly.

while i love my yachtmaster and appreciate your enthusiasm for yours, it's a bit over the top for you to effusively gush in every post and ignore reality that the watch is bulky, heavy and prone to getting knocked and showing any imperfections to the bezel quite noticeably. reviews like this are entertaining but let's keep them grounded and factual for the sake of people thinking about making the same purchase. it's a great watch and distinctive looking but it's far from the life changing possession that you are making it out to be. not to be rude, but i'm also Filipino and am embarrassed with the typical overly dramatic but lacking in substance nature of your review.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 08:38 AM   #100
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Yeah pics really don't do it justice.

Don't know any other watch that can be both flashy and understated at the same time. Haha
Fantastic review and pictures of a truly stunning timepiece. I received mine as a Christmas present back in 2011. Brand new purchased from an AD. This watch is one oft all time favourites as it is a perfect blend of sportiness and dressiness. Perfect for a suit.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 08:57 AM   #101
buckwheat
Banned

YM is a great Watch! I just picked up mine about 4 months ago and couldnt be Happier!

bw
buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 05:14 PM   #102
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
Fantastic review and pictures of a truly stunning timepiece. I received mine as a Christmas present back in 2011. Brand new purchased from an AD. This watch is one oft all time favourites as it is a perfect blend of sportiness and dressiness. Perfect for a suit.
That's one awesome Christmas gift!

I definitely agree with you on how it looks with a suit.
Old 10 July 2014, 05:17 PM   #103
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
YM is a great Watch! I just picked up mine about 4 months ago and couldnt be Happier!

bw
Congratulations on your purchase!

I've honestly been babying mine until recently when I realized it's a damn shame to keep this in a box.

Scratches can be buffed anyway. Haha
Old 17 July 2014, 01:44 PM   #104
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Quick question on the clasp change - how do I go about changing the bracelet and clasp to the newer glide lock? I love the dial on the 16622 but prefer the new clasp.

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2014, 04:29 PM   #105
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
Quick question on the clasp change - how do I go about changing the bracelet and clasp to the newer glide lock? I love the dial on the 16622 but prefer the new clasp.
I think it should just be a matter of replacing the clasp and the links connected to it. Rolex should be able to do it for you.
Old 18 July 2014, 05:37 AM   #106
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
Quick question on the clasp change - how do I go about changing the bracelet and clasp to the newer glide lock?
The 116622 bracelet has no glide lock feature, only easylink.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 09:00 AM   #107
lorsban
"TRF" Member

4 years on and this still goes wherever I go. It's my main travel watch and the watch I use on special occasions.

Not so much as a daily-use watch since I have more sporty or casual watches for that.

For travel tho, the YM is perfect.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2016, 02:44 PM   #108
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Nice!

I love the look of the YM's, went with the blue dialed version and very, very satisfied too!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2597.jpeg (173.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 15 March 2016, 08:19 PM   #109
CaputMortuum
"TRF" Member

Damn, that blue dial is hot. Don't get me wrong, I think the platinum dial is great but in certain lightning conditions it can be a bit monotonous.
Sooo, what's the verdict, is that bezel a deal breaker or not? Does it scratch as easy as gold does?

caput
CaputMortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 11:43 PM   #110
mpwatch
Banned

Watch: PAM 199
Fantastic review. Well detailed, written, and pictured. Learned a lot about the watch itself and it's features. Will be bidding on a few this upcoming weekend. Wish me luck!

I will be referring to this review for future Yatch-Master references.

Well done & Have a great day!

MP
mpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 12:53 AM   #111
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
If money wasnt an issue I'd have the two watches in blue and platinum dial. There's always the option to swap one dial for the other but it's a hassle.

I'm so happy with my YM 116622. It's been almost one year's ownership now. Understated, classy, glittering and mesmerisimg in the sun dare I say, at the risk of sounding cheesy. That glitter is the ace up its sleeve for this otherwise sleeper which likes to fly under the radar. Yes, the beast transforms itself when under the spotlight. Such an interesting duality, such a different Rolex.

I have a funny relationship with this timepiece. I tend to wear it only when I'm out and about with my wife and child. I just want to load it with the best moments of my life. I'll be wearing it the day my second child is born (expected on the 20th August this year if God allows). I intend to pass it down to my children, along with other pieces. I want them to know how special the watch is. Yep, I'm corny like that :) .

It is my favourite piece in my modest collection.

A great addition would be an Oysterflex strap with silver SS deployant, if Rolex would ever release one.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 07:20 AM   #112
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

It's a looker for sure. I love mine even though I haven't had it that long but it's not my daily wearer.
I find the platinum bezel can attract finger prints on the Matt portions quite easily.
I remove them using a cotton bud (Q-tip) that I wet with acetone. Works a treat and removes any grubby finger marks in an instant without damaging the bezel.

As for the dial sparkle....it's truly unique. The watch looks beautiful in bright sunlight.

I somehow feel this watch would have been better named as the Space Master as it has a 'NASA clean room' feel about it and wouldn't look out of place on the moon.

A beautiful piece for sure and due to its individuality mine is a keeper and I feel will eventually be a Rolex collectors classic.

Here's a close up of mine catching sun beams...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (164.0 KB, 278 views)
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 12:20 AM   #113
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaputMortuum View Post
Damn, that blue dial is hot. Don't get me wrong, I think the platinum dial is great but in certain lightning conditions it can be a bit monotonous.
Sooo, what's the verdict, is that bezel a deal breaker or not? Does it scratch as easy as gold does?

caput
Haha yes it can seem monotonous but that's it's charm. You have to see the dial in person tho. The way it shimmers is unlike anything else Rolex has.

The added benefit is it has tremendous wrist presence. Similar to a white dialed Daytona.

The bezel doesn't scratch that easily. After 4 years and a lot of travel, I've only accumulated about 4 scratches - the type that can only be seen at a certain angle and lighting.

uploadfromtaptalk1458310495867.jpg

I've also seen really beat YMs but you don't notice it too much because it's monotone. Unlike with a black steel bezel, you can really see wear. But of course, replacement is a much simpler ordeal compared to platinum restoration.

Old 19 March 2016, 12:28 AM   #114
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwatch View Post
Fantastic review. Well detailed, written, and pictured. Learned a lot about the watch itself and it's features. Will be bidding on a few this upcoming weekend. Wish me luck!

I will be referring to this review for future Yatch-Master references.

Well done & Have a great day!

MP
Thanks for reading!

The YM is probably the cheapest route to a Rolex Sportswatch with platinum.

You're getting a lot of watch for the money.

Old 19 March 2016, 12:40 AM   #115
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
It's a looker for sure. I love mine even though I haven't had it that long but it's not my daily wearer.
I find the platinum bezel can attract finger prints on the Matt portions quite easily.
I remove them using a cotton bud (Q-tip) that I wet with acetone. Works a treat and removes any grubby finger marks in an instant without damaging the bezel.

As for the dial sparkle....it's truly unique. The watch looks beautiful in bright sunlight.

I somehow feel this watch would have been better named as the Space Master as it has a 'NASA clean room' feel about it and wouldn't look out of place on the moon.

A beautiful piece for sure and due to its individuality mine is a keeper and I feel will eventually be a Rolex collectors classic.

Here's a close up of mine catching sun beams...
Thanks for chiming in!

I feel the same way. I have dress watches that I bring with me for weddings/baptisms/other special events but for some reason I never get to wear them because of my YM.

Your pic also made me understand why this is the "Yacht-Master." It's meant to be above the ocean under the sun where the dial catches its light.

Old 23 March 2016, 04:11 AM   #116
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Had a Yacht-Master but let it go in a trade about 2 years agora and still miss it. It's a very nice watch and the platinum dial is much more beautiful live rather than pictures!
avilhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 12:30 PM   #117
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avilhena View Post
Had a Yacht-Master but let it go in a trade about 2 years agora and still miss it. It's a very nice watch and the platinum dial is much more beautiful live rather than pictures!
True!

The nice thing about Yachtmasters tho is they're so undervalued that they're easy to find at a low price in case you want one again.

Old 3 April 2016, 02:51 PM   #118
addieboy
"TRF" Member

Great review. I am also from the Philippines and on my 7th day of reading yachtmasters. lol. I just sold my OP39 to give way to this.

For me, the YM is the closest you can get for the "sporty yet elegant" one watch for everything.
addieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2016, 12:31 PM   #119
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addieboy View Post
Great review. I am also from the Philippines and on my 7th day of reading yachtmasters. lol. I just sold my OP39 to give way to this.

For me, the YM is the closest you can get for the "sporty yet elegant" one watch for everything.
Hello Kabayan!

The OP39 is an awesome watch too!

I had a similar style Air-king which I sold because it was too small.

Old 14 April 2016, 09:58 AM   #120
pirapan
"TRF" Member

nice watch
pirapan is offline   Reply With Quote