The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 July 2017, 06:39 PM   #31
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Naahh...It's still much cheaper than a DSSD black dial. Just divide the MSRP on that price tag by 4.3 and get another 10% discount.For a foreign tourist,he or she is then entitled to claim back another 4.8% of the Goods & Services Tax /GST

That's a really nice watch, the new GS diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 07:45 PM   #32
meganfox17
Banned

Hello Mr Page and Mr Cooper

Since I'm not allowed to post homage watches that looks like pseudo James Cameron timepieces on the thread, let me show you the Edox Hydro Sub 50th anniversary LE (350) that was released in 2015
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:24 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Add me to the confused list
Count me in
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 11:45 PM   #34
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

People often assume just because a famous brand's product looks a certain way, they were the first to come out with that design. That's often not the case, especially with watches. Do a google images search for "vintage watch blue gradient dial," and you'll see that many watches before the Deep Blue had blue gradient dials. Similarly, "homage" watches that look like Rolexes exist because they're not copying any proprietary Rolex design. If they did, Rolex would have shut most of those companies down long ago. But Rolex can't, because the reality is that very few of the design elements found in a watch like the Sub are original Rolex designs.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:01 AM   #35
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello Mr Page and Mr Cooper

Since I'm not allowed to post homage watches that looks like pseudo James Cameron timepieces on the thread, let me show you the Edox Hydro Sub 50th anniversary LE (350) that was released in 2015
So, speaking like others in this thread, Rolex copied even the green letters
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 01:26 AM   #36
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
People often assume just because a famous brand's product looks a certain way, they were the first to come out with that design. That's often not the case, especially with watches. Do a google images search for "vintage watch blue gradient dial," and you'll see that many watches before the Deep Blue had blue gradient dials. Similarly, "homage" watches that look like Rolexes exist because they're not copying any proprietary Rolex design. If they did, Rolex would have shut most of those companies down long ago. But Rolex can't, because the reality is that very few of the design elements found in a watch like the Sub are original Rolex designs.
After looking through several pages I didn't really see much that looked similar to a DBlue dial, definitely not in a diving watch.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...iw=414&bih=628

The examples MeganFox has shown are the closest I've seen, even those have more of a concentric pattern that blends from the inside out, not top to bottom. Still haven't seen anything to show me rolex wasn't the first to come up with this ocean to deep abyss idea.

Overall this isn't a big deal. I'm disappointed in this watch from Sinn. I love their line of watches especially the the U1 special editions. I wish they put some more originality into this dial design.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 01:28 AM   #37
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
If it wasn't clear in my first post, or the second post above, I'll try to take you off the confused list.

I don't think the design of the watch is a rip off, I do think the dial design is.

Here's my edit for the first post...

"I love Sinn watches but for real, they couldn't come up with a DIAL design a little less DeepSea Blue-esque!"

Here ya go! No more confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Count me in
Old 24 July 2017, 01:44 AM   #38
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
After looking through several pages I didn't really see much that looked similar to a DBlue dial, The examples MeganFox has shown are the closest I've seen, even those have more of a concentric pattern that blends from the inside out, not top to bottom
What? Game Over ? I'm just warming Up !Not done yet.Would you like me to post a photo of the homage watch brand most closely resembles the D-Blue ?
The problem is my post would probably be deleted by the Mods...
Old 24 July 2017, 03:35 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Not a copy but just as ugly imho.
Agreed. The gradient dial is hideous on any watch
Old 24 July 2017, 04:14 AM   #40
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What? Game Over ? I'm just warming Up !Not done yet.Would you like me to post a photo of the homage watch brand most closely resembles the D-Blue ?
The problem is my post would probably be deleted by the Mods...
Haha don't post a homage watch. The point, at this point is to identify a (non-homage) watch that came chronologically prior to the D-blue release.

It would seem there are folks here who disagree that this Sinn dial lacks originality, additionally making arguments that the D-blue dial was not the first of its kind.

I've still not seen a dial the so closely resembles the d-blue dial, especially on a diver watch, that was released prior to the d-blue.
Old 24 July 2017, 04:30 AM   #41
YMII
"TRF" Member

Come on guys, it's only the dial which looks simlilar like the D-Blue dial.
But it's a complete different watch.

Apple also copied ideas.

They are inspired from the D-Blue dial, that's it. It's a compliment for Rolex.
YMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 04:52 AM   #42
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha don't post a homage watch. The point, at this point is to identify a (non-homage) watch that came chronologically prior to the D-blue release.

It would seem there are folks here who disagree that this Sinn dial lacks originality, additionally making arguments that the D-blue dial was not the first of its kind.

I've still not seen a dial the so closely resembles the d-blue dial, especially on a diver watch, that was released prior to the d-blue.
Dial on DBlue is a bigger copy of Edox meganfox posted than Sinn is copy of Dblue.

Direction of gradient color is not the same (from center vs from top to bottom), but it has the same shade + the green writing.

On other side the Sinn has the same directon of gradient but visibly lighter...

so there is much more touching points Edox vs Dblue than DBlue vs Sinn...

and it's a shame Rolex copied Edox
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:54 AM   #43
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
The Professional U1 looks so much better.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 05:41 AM   #44
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Dial on DBlue is a bigger copy of Edox meganfox posted than Sinn is copy of Dblue.

Direction of gradient color is not the same (from center vs from top to bottom), but it has the same shade + the green writing.

On other side the Sinn has the same directon of gradient but visibly lighter...

so there is much more touching points Edox vs Dblue than DBlue vs Sinn...

and it's a shame Rolex copied Edox
Ok, so I did a quick search.

Looks like the Edox 50th anniversary Hydro Sub debuted in 2015. I believe that is the one we are discussing. The D-Blue was Released in 2014, no?

I'm not saying the Edox is a copy of the Rolex, but It'd be kind of hard (if not impossible) to consider Rolex having copied Edox as you suggest above.

I could be wrong. This thread is actually the first time i'd ever even heard of the Edox Hydro Sub, so I know very little about this. But from what I researched the original Hydro Sub was made in 1965. Here's is an Article reviewing the 50th Anniversary watch in 2015.

Here is another Article discussing the release of the D-Blue from 2014.

Listen, they obviously both came out around the same time, but regardless I simply disagree with you about which dials resemble the D-Blue dial more. To me there is no question whatsoever that the Sinn dial is completely inspired by the D-Blue dial. The Edox dial looks different enough to my eyes, but more importantly if all the release dates i found are accurate the Edox has become completely irrelevant to the conversation.

This was supposed to be a simple conversation about how Sinn clearly made a D-Blue Inspired dial. As the conversation evolved, we are now discussing other watches with a blue gradient dial that came out PRIOR to the release of the D-Blue. If you want to continue to discuss the Edox, we can, but again, it seems it would be an irrelevant discussion topic at this point.
Old 23 August 2017, 11:44 AM   #45
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Sinn dial lacks originality ?
Hello Mr Chadridv Sir. Have you seen the latest Seiko Shogun Zimbe SPB057 J1 Thailand LE 456 timepieces worldwide ?
So do you prefer the Seiko Zimbe or Sinn BLU1 Who lacks originality now ?