The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 August 2017, 10:26 AM   #1
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
My take on the Submariner 114060

Before I get started, let me lead off with this is my first watch review...I honestly felt compelled to write one after wearing the Sub for three months now although it feels like it's been on my wrist for a lifetime.

So first, why did I buy a Sub? I had, at the time, a Breitling Navitimer which was my first real watch purchase into the luxury watch market. The Navitimer was suiting me fine but over the course of a year I grew tired of its size (46mm) and how I felt I always needed to baby it, of course not being able to take it into the water either. I kept seeing the Sub in the windows of AD, admiring over its simple yet gorgeous dial and design. Initially, I'll admit it...I thought that buying a Rolex was a bit pretentious. I kept passing by ADs and would continuously look at the Subs, admiring their beauty.

Finally, one day came where I said enough was enough and I was going to offload my Navitimer for the Submariner. The thought of not being able to wash or take my daily wear watch for a swim was driving me nuts. I did some local shopping in the area to see what I could get for a trade on my Navi and compared it with what they were selling for on various sites. Ultimately I had a quote from one of the AD's for an amount I was willing to lose in order to get into the Sub. So I went into one of the ADs and for the first time tried the Sub on...wow was it an incredible feeling. I remember thinking how small it felt compared to my Navi but that it was so much more timeless and the quality felt incredible. That same visit I handed over my Navi and walked out with the Sub on my wrist. I distinctly remember not being able to take my eyes off it for days and thinking how I never felt the same when I took the Navi home, which really confirmed my decision to swap.

Now, 3 months later, I've taken the Sub on trips all over with me. It's been with me swimming in the ocean, doing yardwork, shooting, golfing...you name it, the Sub has handled it like a champ. All during that time I never had to think twice about whether it would be up for the test. This watch, for a luxury watch, is about as robust as they come and all while keeping great time. One of the other things I particularly like about the Sub is that I can wear it during any occasion, whether that's with a suit or with swimming trunks in the ocean. Either way, it blends in with you flawlessly. And how about that incredible dial, wow..it seems to pop in ways I had no idea it could when it's in the sun. I love the feeling of the bezel as it clicks its way 120 times around the dial. The bracelet to me feeling incredible, it's solid construction yet I forget I'm wearing the watch at times because of how perfect the fit is. This brings me to my next point, Glidelock...thank you Rolex, what an incredible feature. It truly allows you to accomplish the perfect fit and adjust during the hot summer months or during workout when your wrist swells. Can we talk about the maxi lugs and how it gives the case that beefier feel that some of us really enjoy. I know the big lugs tend to get a bad wrap with some veteran Rolex collectors on here because of how the older Subs were shaped but I actually really enjoy the new style...to me, the bracelet and case look more balanced. I'm also really enjoying the new Chromalight lume...the blue glow on the hour markers and hands is something to marvel at.

Anyways I could go on and on about my Sub, for me it is the perfect daily wearer. It's timeless, versatile, rugged, balanced and feels incredible on the wrist. I finally get the hype behind the brand and the quality and reputation it carries. I'm very happy I decided to pick up the Sub and look forward to holding onto it for a very long time, eventually passing it on. Until then, I have my next Rolex to plan for!

And what's this thread without pictures...useless! Here you are my fellow TRFers!

watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I agree, wear mine often and love it. Splendid review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170716_112646-768x1024.jpg (180.0 KB, 480 views)

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Nice to read, congrats and thanxs for the review.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Love mine!
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:30 AM   #5
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

Congrats, wear it in good health.