The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2011, 05:00 PM   #1
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Omega caliber 9300

Does anyone here have more info on the 9300 caliber? It just got released at Basel in the Speedmaster/PO models.

I dont facebook and was hoping that someone could forward me to a specs page.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

bump
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 28 March 2011, 02:03 AM   #3
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Omega has released its full press kit yet and so we will not get the full specs for a few days until it does its Baselworld splash.

Meantime Ive gleaned a bit of info on the calibre here

Cheers

desmond

[

QUOTE=C. Davidson;2392458]Does anyone here have more info on the 9300 caliber? It just got released at Basel in the Speedmaster/PO models.

I dont facebook and was hoping that someone could forward me to a specs page.[/QUOTE]
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Desmond,

You are the man. Very helpful information, exactly what I was looking for.

I'm interested in the following quote for the link you provided:

"This new calibre is manufactured on plant and machinery especially commissioned by Omega and will be exclusive to the brand."

I am wondering if this movement is being manufactured in a Lemania/ETA/Frederic Piguet factory.
#15,634

Old 29 March 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
Desmond,

You are the man. Very helpful information, exactly what I was looking for.

I'm interested in the following quote for the link you provided:

"This new calibre is manufactured on plant and machinery especially commissioned by Omega and will be exclusive to the brand."

I am wondering if this movement is being manufactured in a Lemania/ETA/Frederic Piguet factory.
I'm pretty sure they reopened Omega's own movement manufacture when they started making the cal. 8500 - I would imagine the cal. 9300 is made there too
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 02:59 PM   #6
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I'm pretty sure they reopened Omega's own movement manufacture when they started making the cal. 8500 - I would imagine the cal. 9300 is made there too
Hello fellow Chris,

My point exactly, Watchtime reported the following a few years back in regards to the 8500:

"This caliber family [8500], which has a 100 percent Omega identity, will ultimately animate nearly all of Omega's mechanical watches, ... ETA maufactured Caliber 8500 under commision from Omega, which also directed and supervised the manufacturing. All of the investments were and still are borne by Omega. Naturally, Omega will continue to collaborate with ETA, and Nivarox will continue to supply the balance-springs. ... We're expanding the premises in Biel: part of the production for Omega - both T1 (assembly of movements) and T2 (encasing the movements into the watches) - will move into those premises."

WatchTime: Omega Special Issue, October 2008, "Omega is a Pioneering Brand", Nick Hayek Jr. interviewed by Rudiger Bucher, Page 38. (bold added by me)

I have yet to read any other information in regards to this from Omega. It is unknown whether ETA is still making the 8500 for Omega. Perhaps "T1" is (or has been) manufacturing the 8500 caliber and is also perhaps making the 9300. My personal feeling is that Omega is tapping into their manufacturing houses (Lemania/Manufacture Breguet, ETA/Valjoux, Frederic Piguet) for their in-house chronographs. Even if this was the case, the 9300 is still well within the definition of an "in-house manufacture movement". I find it interesting though, that Omega, who at times is very forthcoming with everybit of technical information to the WIS community, is somewhat silent on this issue.

If anyone has further information on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.
#15,634

Old 30 March 2011, 03:38 PM   #7
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
In a vertically integrated operation like Swatch most movements are made in designated factories owned by the group. Eg Breguet movements are made in Swatch's Piguet factory and also some parts are created in small ateliers linked to the factory. With the 8500 and the 9300, Omega 'designed' movements will be manufactured on specially commissioned and designated machinery and production lines in one of Swatch's ETA factories in Biel, as I understand it.

So, as the movement is exlusive, and its manufactured by an entitiy inside the Swatch Group for a profit Centre in the group one could argue successfully that it is in-house. Same thing with Rolex Group. Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA, which until 2004 had been controlled by progeny of the Aegler-Borer family, was fully acquired by Rolex in 2004. This company manufactured some of the Rolex movements for Rolex SA. It is now part of the vertically integrated Rolex House and still manufactures for Rolex SA in Geneva.

In looking at both 'houses' I don't see anything different. Theyre both manufactures, only Swatch's operation is more transparent.

Cheers

desmond
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
In a vertically integrated operation like Swatch most movements are made in designated factories owned by the group. Eg Breguet movements are made in Swatch's Piguet factory and also some parts are created in small ateliers linked to the factory. With the 8500 and the 9300, Omega 'designed' movements will be manufactured on specially commissioned and designated machinery and production lines in one of Swatch's ETA factories in Biel, as I understand it.

So, as the movement is exlusive, and its manufactured by an entitiy inside the Swatch Group for a profit Centre in the group one could argue successfully that it is in-house. Same thing with Rolex Group. Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA, which until 2004 had been controlled by progeny of the Aegler-Borer family, was fully acquired by Rolex in 2004. This company manufactured some of the Rolex movements for Rolex SA. It is now part of the vertically integrated Rolex House and still manufactures for Rolex SA in Geneva.

In looking at both 'houses' I don't see anything different. Theyre both manufactures, only Swatch's operation is more transparent.

Cheers

desmond
Thank you very much Desmond, good points all around.
#15,634

Old 7 April 2011, 06:33 PM   #9
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Update:

I sent an email to an editor at Watchtime who replied that,

"their [Omega's] outside PR agency ... told me that the caliber 9300 is made by Omega in-house at their factory in Biel/Bienne."

A purists delight!

#15,634